Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How much material?

• 6 Replies

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
How much material?
« on: Aug 29, 2015, 01:51 PM »
I've found what I believe to be a good deal on material for my vest, (brown duck cloth) and it's almost the exact color I was looking for. The thing is, I'm still trying to find a template to use, and I have no idea how much material I should get. So that leads to my next question, about how much should I get? I plan to get some extra to test with and give me a margin for when I make the inevitable mistakes.

I'm 6' tall, 200lbs. Chest is 47" waist at the naval is 36". Shoulders are 18.5" across. Really I'm just looking for an approximation of how much material a vest would take. I'll probably get enough material for at least three vests just to be safe. Thanks, vod!

Buy'ce WIP

MAJIC: 151
VABS: 14
-John
Re: How much material?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2015, 02:44 PM »
Take an old shirt that fits you good and don't mind losing and take the seams out of the sides and arms. From there you can lay the pieces out to get a really good idea  of the amount you need based on your own body.

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Sidi Ren

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Depends. If you use it as a single layer you should be able to get enough out of a yard or a yard and a quarter. If you make a lining to each side of your vest you are going to need two yards. Hope that helps :D

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Very much! Thank you, Sidi!

Buy'ce WIP

-John
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2015, 12:54 AM »
Personally I like to buy a little extra just in case. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

"Only known inhabitant of the Lando System."

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2015, 01:01 AM »
Personally I like to buy a little extra just in case. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Yep, that's the plan. I was just trying to get a baseline. I'll probably get enough material for several vests or other projects that may come up. I don't believe you can ever have too much matching material just in case.

Buy'ce WIP

-John
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2015, 02:06 AM »
I got 5 yards when I did my flight suit and ended up with a decent amount left to mess around with. Great to see other people sewing their own soft parts!

"Only known inhabitant of the Lando System."

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!