Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Doxas Armor Build First attempt

• 22 Replies

Kakos

Doxas Armor Build First attempt
« on: Sep 05, 2015, 07:12 PM »
Greeting all,

I'm glad I found this forum, there are some awesome sets of armor on here.  I'm working on making my wife a set of mando armor for Comic-Con.

My overall concept is to try and make something like this.

But giving it a personal style.

A rough idea of the helmet I'm working on is below:

I'm in the process of cutting out the helmet pieces from a bucket and hope to start attaching them to the bike helmet I'm using for the dome.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Doxas Armor Build First attempt
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2015, 09:23 PM »
Wow.  I can't wait to see this come together!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kakos

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Is it going to cause any problems getting approved if it doesn't have a prototypical range finder?

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2015, 02:27 PM »
Not in the slightest.  Go check out the Finished Helmets Photos thread to get some ideas of the different things you can do with a bucket and the rangefinder/earcap area.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Biodelta

• working to be great
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2015, 03:05 PM »
looking  good  man i cant  wait to see that  helmet

Kakos

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2015, 10:49 PM »
Progress pics

Time to start with the gadgets, then I've got a lot of dremel time coming.  I'm relatively pleased with the results. 

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2015, 11:38 PM by Kakos » Logged

Kakos

« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2015, 12:27 AM »
I've finished attaching the ear plates and antenna.

In these pictures the antenna looks a lot longer than it seems to in person.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the back finished up and cut the antenna down to a more reasonable size.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2015, 01:52 AM »
The antenna looks fine Vod. That helmet is coming together very nicely! Like the concept art as well!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Kyri

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2015, 02:54 AM »
Great work on the helmet. That design will look very impressive!

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2015, 06:19 AM »
This looks great so far! Like the overall look and concept of the buy'ce vod!

Look forward to seeing this one completed!

Oya!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Kakos

« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2015, 09:29 PM »
She can see!

I finished roughing out the back, it's a bit wider than what I've seen on other helmets, but I think it isn't going to be as noticeable when everything is painted up, plus it's going to have a shroud over it when in full kit. Do you think it will cause any problems with approval?

Fun fact:  While working on this in the garage yesterday my living was struck by lightning...no serious damage, but definitely a sign.  I'm just not sure what it's a sign of.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2015, 10:47 PM »
It's a sign of conductivity! Lol I don't think that vent design would cause a kickback on app but I'll let you know that it's slightly cantered compared to the rest of the helmet. Personally I dig the uniqueness of your designs so far and your wifeys tattoo even matches! ;D keep at it you're doing a stellar job!

QMU#084

Kakos

« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2015, 12:09 PM »
I agree with the vent canter and once I removed it I'm not finding a simple way to repair the hole already in the back of the bucket.

What are your thoughts on adjusting the back with an additional tapered plate with an upgraded vent.  I'm not in overly fond with the example and it would be reworked on actual instillation, but the concept is still the same.

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2015, 12:30 PM »
I say go for it, the design is unique and anything you do with it will be pretty awesome!

QMU#084

Kakos

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2015, 05:03 PM »
2nd try looks much cleaner.

Kakos

« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2015, 10:54 AM »
I've got 2 questions.

1.  I don't think I mixed in enough of the activator in the body filler I'm using and it's staying soft much longer than I'm wanting.  Is it worth trying to dig it all out or just give it more time to set up and harden?

2.  With the bucket helms my seems very flexible and I'm not sure if it's going to end up busting the glue lose or cracking the body filler.  Has anyone ran another layer of plastic along the bottom and across the the cheeks as reinforcing strips on the inside of the helmet?

Thanks.

Bubblehead

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2015, 11:17 AM »
I made a similar build on a bucket. I added fiderglass resin  to the outside before bondo and on the inside as well for strength. There are many ways to do it, just find what works for you.

Dhagon Varad

• Adam Beck #1243
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Bondo and other fillers are cured through heat. The activator itself does not make it harder, it creates heat that causes the final reaction.

If you have bondo not hardening but its partially there take your heat gun to it a few times. Bondo retains heat very well and heating that bondo up for a few minutes will give it enough heat to cure over time.

Kakos

« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Finally had a break in my workload and I was able to get back to my helmet.  I had all kinds of hell since my last post.

I used the fiberglass resin to help strengthen the helmet which worked pretty well until i dropped it and caught it with one of the cheeks.  Which of course cracked and separated on top of busting the other bondo joints loose. 

So I got to spend some time going back in and laying some fiberglass on the inside.   

Then when I had it in a coat of primer I noticed that my visor slit was off center and canted.  It was nerve wracking, but I took a dremmel and re-cut the visor gap.

I like the metallic look and if it wasn't a helmet for my wife I wouldn't paint it white.  I'm really happy with the front profile, but from the side it looks like I snubbed the nose.

Now I'm off to read on how you all weather these paint jobs.

Havelock

« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2015, 01:33 PM »
This is looking good, vod.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2015, 01:39 PM »
I don't know if you were thinking this as well, but I think the best way to make those flowers POP would be a hand-painted acrylic, if that's something you do. Awesome scratchbuild vod!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Kakos

« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2015, 08:36 PM »
Final base paint and weathering.  I still have to do the acrylic flower on the left side of the helmet, but I'm planning on working on that in the downtime while working on the armor.

Bowfanny

« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2015, 02:42 PM »
That helmet looks amazing Vod!

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!