Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bfa's WOF template build attempt

• 64 Replies

Bfahome

• I'm sure it will all work out in the end!
Bfa's WOF template build attempt
« on: Sep 18, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Hi!

I may not be the biggest Star Wars fan, but I do like it and I think the Mandalorian armor design is pretty cool, so I decided to try and make a helmet at the very least.  Also I just like trying to make things.

This is what I have done so far.  It's made of chipboard and some cardstock.  The only purely cardstock pieces are the cheekbone sections, the dome is chipboard covered by cardstock.  I made these choices for the sake of convenience and ease of assembly.

This was my first attempt, but due to poor planning the shape didn't come out right and the dome looked all wonky.  So I abandoned it and started the new one.

I'm at the point with the earpieces, and I'm trying a couple of different techniques.  The first was the same technique used by AntMan in his thread on TDH, but I'm running out of chipboard and I apparently don't have his hobby knife skills, so I'm trying some wood pieces instead.  Luckily I work at a place with a wood shop and plenty of scrap!

I'm not going for screen accuracy or character replication, but for a custom bucket to call my own, so I'll probably be diverging from the actual templates in a few places.

Once I finish the chipboard and cardstock base I'll be coating it in fiberglass resin, filling parts of the inside with Bondo, and shaping it from there.  Then I guess I'll decide what colors i want to paint it and figure out the electronics.  I want a servo-controlled rangefinder with controllable LEDs.  I've already cut and folded the RF from the WOF template and I've used AntMan's three-layer stalk design with the cut-out wire channel, but I don't know if I'm going to be sticking with that design or changing it, since it depends on what I do with the ears.  Time will tell!

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 04:29 PM by Bfahome » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Bfa's WOF template build attempt
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2015, 10:35 PM »
FAKE GASP!! Diverge from the cookie cutter is perfectly fine vod, make that helmet your own creation! In addition I'd say keep the bondo stuff for shaping the outside and just coat the inside with resin and fiberglass cloth. Light amounts of sanding after the resin cures on the cloth make it less poke you in the head type stuff! I also think that your first attempt if you still have it could be a perfectly good helmet with time and patience.

QMU#084

Bfahome

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2015, 11:42 PM »
FAKE GASP!! Diverge from the cookie cutter is perfectly fine vod, make that helmet your own creation! In addition I'd say keep the bondo stuff for shaping the outside and just coat the inside with resin and fiberglass cloth. Light amounts of sanding after the resin cures on the cloth make it less poke you in the head type stuff! I also think that your first attempt if you still have it could be a perfectly good helmet with time and patience.
The plan was to do something like I did here, which was to slosh around a Bondo/resin mix inside the structure to fill it fairly evenly.  I was only going to have a thin structural layer inside, with maybe a bit more at the crown, to make sure I can shape it without worrying about sanding any holes in the dome.  It's worked for me before, but if there's a specific kind of fiberglass that works just as well then I can definitely try that.

(I've helped my then-roommate fiberglass a papercraft costume before, and neither of us liked it, which is why for our future projects we used the Bondo/resin mix as structural filler.)

I don't currently plan on trying to salvage the initial attempt, since I'm still a novice and I've had projects turn out sub-par before because I didn't give them enough care in the start.  I'll still keep it just in case, though.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2015, 01:29 AM »
The plan was to do something like I did here, which was to slosh around a Bondo/resin mix inside the structure to fill it fairly evenly.  I was only going to have a thin structural layer inside, with maybe a bit more at the crown, to make sure I can shape it without worrying about sanding any holes in the dome.  It's worked for me before, but if there's a specific kind of fiberglass that works just as well then I can definitely try that.

(I've helped my then-roommate fiberglass a papercraft costume before, and neither of us liked it, which is why for our future projects we used the Bondo/resin mix as structural filler.)

I don't currently plan on trying to salvage the initial attempt, since I'm still a novice and I've had projects turn out sub-par before because I didn't give them enough care in the start.  I'll still keep it just in case, though.
Your gonna use Rondo(Resin-Bondo) and its okay for a quick set solution (I've done it a whole bunch) but it's always good to have at least one layer of fiberglass cloth inside the helmet to give it strength. I've shattered rondo before and the same trick doesn't work anywhere near as effectively when the fiberglass is in there. Also when you resin the outside( I recommend it) try not to sand through the resin layer or you could end up with the paper separating from the inside materials which can screw up your whole process because it creates a low spot when they pop off when you're sanding other areas. I'm around if you want any more pointers. I've built 30 helmets of different types now so I know a little of what I'm saying. ;D

QMU#084

Bfahome

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2015, 02:38 AM »
Your gonna use Rondo(Resin-Bondo) and its okay for a quick set solution (I've done it a whole bunch) but it's always good to have at least one layer of fiberglass cloth inside the helmet to give it strength. I've shattered rondo before and the same trick doesn't work anywhere near as effectively when the fiberglass is in there. Also when you resin the outside( I recommend it) try not to sand through the resin layer or you could end up with the paper separating from the inside materials which can screw up your whole process because it creates a low spot when they pop off when you're sanding other areas. I'm around if you want any more pointers. I've built 30 helmets of different types now so I know a little of what I'm saying. ;D
Yeah, I wasn't sure that "Rondo" was a widely-used contraction, so I didn't use the word initially.

I'll definitely look into using some fiberglass cloth, then.  Luckily that's something else I might be able to grab from where I work.

I also think I see what you're saying about Bondo on the outside now, regarding not sanding through the chipboard or paper.  My previous projects were all cardstock, so after the Rondo had set on the inside we'd sand down the outside to get the shape (in some spots sanding away the paper entirely), rather than build up the outside at all.  I'll have to break myself out of that mindset since I'm working with different, and thicker, materials now.

So, new game plan will probably be something like:
- Resin the outside for initial structure and seal
- fiberglass the inside if possible
- apply Bondo to the outside, and sand that to shape rather than sanding the resined chipboard

Basically what I should have learned from the tutorials I read initially but didn't think would be what I did.  Ah well, learning experience. ;D

Bowfanny

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Great motivation Vod!

QMU#084

Bfahome

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2015, 05:34 PM »
Minor progress on the wooden ear components.  I may redo these, but even as tests I think they look pretty good.

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 04:29 PM by Bfahome » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Those look great Vod!

QMU#084

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2015, 10:56 PM »
Ooh wooden Ear caps, that's something I haven't seen. Good work so far!

Bfahome

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2015, 11:01 AM »
Okay, looking for some input here: which would be better, attaching the wooden ear caps before resining/filling the helmet, or after?  I assume it's fine to resin the wood directly (attaching the ears, then sealing) but I'd like to be sure before I try anything.

e: Oh, also, are the forehead arrows actually required?  I don't recall seeing anything about those.

« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2015, 11:15 AM by Bfahome » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Okay, looking for some input here: which would be better, attaching the wooden ear caps before resining/filling the helmet, or after?  I assume it's fine to resin the wood directly (attaching the ears, then sealing) but I'd like to be sure before I try anything.

e: Oh, also, are the forehead arrows actually required?  I don't recall seeing anything about those.
I'd attach the earcaps after resining the rest. Then attach everything once it's smoothed out. Forehead arrows are not required.

QMU#084

Bfahome

« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2015, 05:41 PM »
Made new earcap pieces today.  Decided against trying to do a nice bevel around the edge because that's haaaaard.

Ideally I want to be able to swap the RF attachment for a simple antenna attachment, but at the very least I have both options now so even if I can't make a swappable system I can choose which one I want to finalize.

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 04:30 PM by Bfahome » Logged

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2015, 08:53 PM »
What was wrong with the originals?

Bfahome

« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2015, 11:20 PM »
The first set was cut from thinner plywood, so I wanted them to stand out a bit more.  The RF hinge socket plate is the original one, though, since the thinness works there.

Bfahome

« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2015, 05:53 PM »
First coat of resin!

I've so missed that smell.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!