Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New Rubies 2015 (Target) Boba Fett Helmet - Approved for club use with modifications

• 45 Replies

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
The official word from the Approval Team is that the new Boba Fett helmet available at Target and made by Rubies is approvable for club use with the following modifications:

- Visor must be replaced.
- Dent must be filled for custom Mandalorian costumes.
- Gaps must be filled where present.
- Helmet must be reinforced to prevent warping.
- Forehead arrows must be centered or filled.
- Rangefinder stalk should be replaced. Although this isn't a requirement, it is highly recommended.

This helmet is not recommended for a canon Boba costume. If you want to use it for such a purpose, the following additional modifications must be made:

- Helmet arrows must be centered.
- Rangefinder stalk must be replaced.
- Rangefinder must be replaced.
- MQ1 circuit board must appear behind cut out key slots.
- Helmet must be repainted.

« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2015, 01:01 AM by Ref Al'drann » Logged

Mereelajum

• "Last Man Standing" - Daniel Logan
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Just to clarify, I know come people have had good luck tinting visors themselves. Is this technique not allowed for this?

Sounds like a plan.....
Mereel A’denla formerly of Wampa Clan

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
As long as the visor obscures the face completely and the tint is applied cleanly, I don't see why not. However, we still recommend replacing the visor completely.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
It's been said these visor shatter if not careful and I'd rather not accidentally get hit in the bucket at a con and have shrapnel in my face.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Drek'ar Ventress

• Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Are we able to swap the fiberglass and medal ring out for other reinforcement methods? I was considering using bondo glass and the same wooden craft ring from the J2P helm tutorial.

Haran Cuyan

• My convention name is "Blue Boba" I guess...
  • Awards 40+ hrs of charity work recorded
Can we get a verification on whether or not this also applies to the Target helmet as well?  A few people on the Target Helmet thread are calling that a rubies helmet, and saying that this covers that, and if we could get a definite answer it would help greatly.

Link:  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=98725.60

Drek'ar Ventress

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Can we get a verification on whether or not this also applies to the Target helmet as well?  A few people on the Target Helmet thread are calling that a rubies helmet, and saying that this covers that, and if we could get a definite answer it would help greatly.

Link:  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=98725.60
The Target helmet is this helmet. It's made by Rubies

Ref Al'drann

I modified the first post to make that more clear.

Haran Cuyan

• My convention name is "Blue Boba" I guess...
  • Awards 40+ hrs of charity work recorded
Thanks!  I've only been at this a few weeks so I wasn't sure, and there has also been some discussion in my clan about it so I'm assuming I wasn't the only one.  I appreciate you clarifying it for me so quickly!

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
I'm with Stang. I kinda cringed when I saw the recommended method of reinforcement. Every modded PVC (of whatever hardness) helmet I've ever acquired or worked on where someone's reinforced the inside with fiberglass, it's just popped out with almost no effort. Meanwhile, the Hasbro clone trooper, Vader, and Boba helmets I've been modding, I've just plastic-repair-epoxied the seams, backed them off with superglued scrap 1mm sintra, and smoothed/reinforced the edges of those stripes on the inside with two-part plumbers' epoxy putty -- and I've dropped them on my concrete garage floor more than once and they just bounce. Some things I'll recommend fiberglass for. Not this. ;)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Ref Al'drann

The point is that it needs to be reinforced to prevent warping. I guess I shouldn't have gotten so specific with materials so I'll change that.

Peregrinus

No worries. I just have personal experience going with a recommended approach counter to what my experience has taught me would be better... and regretting it. So when it comes to reinforcing techniques, I've become more of a "here's what people have done, and how they've found those things to work to one degree or another" advocate. Fiberglassing totally has its place. I think it's best used with pepakura and scratchbuilding out of cardstock (if not laying in a mold directly). And I've found craft rings are most needed with the softer vinyl of, say, the Don Post or Rubies' Jango one-piece helmets. The new Rubies Target Boba helmet is made from the same harder toy-grade PVC plastic as the Hasbro Boba and, as such, I expect it'll hold it's shape nicely if the seams are just properly reinforced. I'm probably going to get one of these and keep it on hand after modding it up to a base coat for one or another of our local recruits. No need for it, myself. So in that light, I'll check in later on to confirm or self-refute my suggestions based on actual hand-on experience with this bucket. ;)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
Just to try and get clarification, the RF stalk does have to be replaced or is the original acceptable? Amd how would one remove the visor from the helmet in order to replace it with a more acceptable one, since it seems sandwiched into a groove on the mandibles?

Ref Al'drann

The rangefinder stalk replacement is not a requirement. It's a recommendation.

I'm hearing that people are having the best luck with cutting the visor out.

Drek'ar Ventress

Just to try and get clarification, the RF stalk does have to be replaced or is the original acceptable? Amd how would one remove the visor from the helmet in order to replace it with a more acceptable one, since it seems sandwiched into a groove on the mandibles?

Tyrral, the approval team stated "- Rangefinder stalk SHOULD be replaced. Although this isn't a requirement, it is highly recommended."  My take on that means, its up to the approval team when your kit comes through approval process.  Meaning its not a 1 rule fits all type thing.  If your a larger framed guy, with a big kit, big helm and little RF stalk, it will look off, and they will probably tell you to replace it.  However, if your a small framed female, with a small kit and little RF stalk, it might fight your look.  Its all up to the approval team in how it all comes together with your kit.  Its really a very easy piece to replace.

As far as the visor goes, using a dremel tool and cutting it out seems to be about the only method thats working so far.  You could try cutting it out with other means, but use caution, as lots of people have reported these visors will shatter, leaving very sharp edges (almost glass like).

Peregrinus

If you're a small-framed female and wear this helmet, you're going to look like incredibly like a bobblehead. :P This thing is just the teensiest bit bigger than a 1:1 Boba, more or less, which means sized to be worn by someone in the 6'1"-plus neighborhood.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
If you're a small-framed female and wear this helmet, you're going to look like incredibly like a bobblehead. :P This thing is just the teensiest bit bigger than a 1:1 Boba, more or less, which means sized to be worn by someone in the 6'1"-plus neighborhood.

--Jonah

:laugh: 

Yeah it's a Bit Big for anyone Small Framed .... But it will be Judged Case By Case . ;)

I'm glad to have found this thread as I will also be doing my
 Best to Squirrel away these Buckets as I find them .. I think these
are a lot Sturdier than previously Expected and I think from people I've Talked to
We will all be pleasantly Surprised at a lot of the NEW SW Toys and the Quality of them ..  :D

With that Said ' I have No problem ripping into a $30 bucket to make it a Custom ..
It's a lot Easier to get Behind doing a Pilot or Custom Vents on a Base like this then it is
a $100 + one made From Resin for a first timer or a Seasoned Vet alike ... It's a Deal for Sure.

But Remember Modding costs money ...So don't Be surprised if you bucket Reaches the $100+
 Faster than you Expected .. Nice Visor,New Stalk & RF,Fans,lights,etc ... It's Endless.
Just do a Good Job on it and these should have no problem getting passed ... If anyone would like
to get objective opinions on this bucket and How it fits in with their kit personally Feel Free to contact
one of the App Team on the Armor boards ...  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Peregrinus

I want to amend my earlier appraisal of this thing slightly, now I've gotten my hands on one personally. Considering the measurements I have are taken off a Mystery helmet (Google "Boba Fett Mystery Helmet" if you're not familiar with the term), and considering shrinkage is an issue when going from one generation to the next in casting, even when care is taken... What I'm finding is that this helmet was most likely made similarly to Master Replicas' Collectors' Edition Stormtrooper helmet -- laser scanned an original from the Lucasfilm Archives, then tweaked in the computer to make it symmetrical. This is probably the perfect idealized Boba Fett helmet (rangefinder and visor aside, obviously).

For what my opinion on it might be worth. ;)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
Hi Gang,

I've just managed to pick one of these guys up, do I just buy any replacement visor and kinda "make it fit" or is there one that works best with it? 

Sorry if it's a dumb question but its my first time trying to modify anything and I'm trying not to run around like a headless chicken :-)

Yogi

Hi Gang,

I've just managed to pick one of these guys up, do I just buy any replacement visor and kinda "make it fit" or is there one that works best with it? 

Sorry if it's a dumb question but its my first time trying to modify anything and I'm trying not to run around like a headless chicken :-)

T visor recommendeds their slim deluxe

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan
T visor recommendeds their slim deluxe

Thanks

Xundor Wrex

• No, I'm Jango's friend...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Hi Gang,

If you don't mind me asking, did you find it "in the wild" or online?

Si vis pacem, Para bellum

Yogi

If you don't mind me asking, did you find it "in the wild" or online?

The only place I have seen them is on Amazon and the other places on the net. I ordered one from Amazon that should be delivered sometime this week.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Xundor Wrex

• No, I'm Jango's friend...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
The only place I have seen them is on Amazon and the other places on the net. I ordered one from Amazon that should be delivered sometime this week.

Ok, good to know. Thanks.

Si vis pacem, Para bellum

Amintor

• I'm your kind of scum!
Hi Gang,

I ordered a t visor for my target helmet mod but I didn't like the way it fit. I ended up going this routehttps://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770580-Shield-Replacement-Shaded/dp/B002VECKRO

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2016, 02:45 PM by Bowfanny » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!