Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kel Graten - Soft Parts WIP

• 48 Replies

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Kel Graten - Soft Parts WIP
« on: Oct 07, 2015, 10:54 PM »
I'm so excited! I got my flight suit today and I can't wait to get started. I'm going to use this as my general WIP for all of my soft parts.

Here's one to get it rolling! :)

Now to start removing stuff... Lol.

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Ju'siik Kelborn

Re: Kel Graten - Soft Parts WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Question for you all, what should I do with the zippered chest pockets? Thet are built into the coveralls and not sown on. Would the vest cover all that?

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Pirun

• Water is the deliberate element.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2015, 10:06 AM »
It ought to cover them, or you could try cutting them off.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2015, 12:14 PM »
It ought to cover them, or you could try cutting them off.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I'll have to see once I work on my vest.

Vor'e!

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Got some gloves and a belt I'm going to use for a girth belt (I'll need to paint and weather it). Goodwill is my friend. :)

The gloves will change a lot as they will be made into crushgaunts.  8) Not completely sure what design I will use yet...

Pirun

• Water is the deliberate element.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2015, 11:06 PM »
I've seen Mandos wearing "armored" work gloves with plastic plates on them... you can find those at hardware stores. Those might be a good base. I personally love them.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Question on the flightsuit, for the externally mounted pockets, they need to be cut off if they are not going to be covered up, right? Also, are the pant legs supposed to be tucked into the boots?

Vor'e!

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Ok, so I'm a little closer to armor construction. :) I've purchased the material to make my vest. Now to find the parts to my wife's sowing machine, figure out how to use it, and make sense of Pointy's pattern... lol

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2015, 02:13 PM »
Pants can go over your boots or be tucked in.  I'm going the tucked route because my boots have a wide chimney and my flight suit legs look like a balloon stretched over a garden hose otherwise.

If you go tucked, I recommend getting pant stirrups.  They not only keep your pants from riding up in the boots, but they also make it easier to put the boots on. 

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Pants can go over your boots or be tucked in.  I'm going the tucked route because my boots have a wide chimney and my flight suit legs look like a balloon stretched over a garden hose otherwise.

If you go tucked, I recommend getting pant stirrups.  They not only keep your pants from riding up in the boots, but they also make it easier to put the boots on.

Much appreciated.  :)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2015, 11:37 PM »
Ok, update:

After much debating, I decided to go with a kama instead of a cape.

The initial cut out. It took some searching and a lot of looking at Google images of Kamas to get an idea of what I wanted.

Here it is taped to my girth belt. Yes, I did put it on, and I have to admit that it felt pretty sweet. I took some pictures with it on, but didn't like them. I'll retake them and post them up.

I have plans to eventually dye both pieces a dark red (the accent color in my color scheme) and sew them together.

I have to say, this is my first experience with duck canvas and it is very tough compared to pretty much everything else that I've worked with in the past. It was folding weird on me when I was wearing it. Does this stuff soften at all (or is there a trick to getting it to lay right)?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Duck cloth doesn't flow - it stands, not lays. Haha. I washed mine a few times so it's not quite as stiff, but it's still pretty rigid.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2015, 04:38 PM »
Duck cloth doesn't flow - it stands, not lays. Haha. I washed mine a few times so it's not quite as stiff, but it's still pretty rigid.

Hahaha! Very true!

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Ok, as promised, here are a pair of pictures with the kama on:

These pictures also show the girth belt dyed. The kama edges probably doesn't look right in the front because it's just taped to the belt.

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2015, 03:31 PM »
Alright, got some boots for you. And the best thing is that they were $20 from Walmart!  8)

Lynn TXP 0369

• He's no good to me dead.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2015, 09:05 AM »
Looks good, If the Kama were mine I would make it wrap around the front "just" a little more if you can.
I like the boots, what brand are they at Walmart?  I'd have to dye or paint mine white.

Lynn

Phil. 4:13
Ex Phoenix Squadron member TXP 0369.
Helmet done.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=100331.15

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Vor'e Lynn! The are Brahmas.

I may recut my kama, but it was initially based on a picture of a clone trooper that I found with his kama just barely past the side of his legs. I'll see if I can find the picture.

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2015, 09:18 AM by Madviola » Logged

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Here is the clone that I was talking about. Although now that I look at it again, I think mine may need to be longer.

Lynn TXP 0369

• He's no good to me dead.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Aah OK, That looks good.
 Are you hemming the edges on the sides and bottom or leaving them just cut?
I'll have to look for those boots, thanks.
Lynn

Phil. 4:13
Ex Phoenix Squadron member TXP 0369.
Helmet done.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=100331.15

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:09 AM »
I haven't decided yet. I may edge it in a dull yellow, which is the primary color for my armor.

Anytime!

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2015, 02:12 AM »
Finally got some soft parts update!

Neck seal!

Here's the velcro on the back, and some soft fabric on the inside.

There will eventually be a strip of velcro running all the way around the neck seal to hold neck armor (forth coming). I've got several things in process such as: crushgaunts, a new kama, and a new clasp for the belt my kama will be attached to. There just isn't enough progress to show right now. I also hope to start on my flak vest shortly.

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2015, 08:36 AM by Madviola » Logged

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2015, 11:20 AM »
Great job vod!! A neckseal is next on my to-do list.  :)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2015, 11:37 AM »
Vor'e vod! The neck seal was not horrible to make. The velcro was the hardest part for me as I hand sewed it.

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2015, 12:21 AM »
Ok, I fixed up some odds and ends including: putting a new buckle on the colored belt, washing the white duck cloth and cutting a slightly bigger kama, and sewing short extensions to the flightsuit (you'll see when I start on the crushgaunts).

Here is what I've got right now.

And...

I realized that the "girth belt" I was using really wasn't doing me much good as a girth belt, so it has been relegated to kama duty. I've got most of what I need to make a girth belt, and then on to the vest and crushgaunts.

<nerd-rant>
I have to admit, it was kinda cool to put everything on for the first time. I know it's not exactly close to full armor, but there is enough there to give a sense of presence.
</nerd-rant>  :D

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Question, for the girth belt, in general, how tall should it be? With my vest at my belly button, there isn't a ton of room for it to cover without overlapping the vest (which I think would look off).

Vor'e!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!