Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scratch Built Rangefinder and modified Don Post Helmet- COMPLETE

• 15 Replies
So I have had a Gon Post Boba Fett helmet for years. AND I MEAN YEARS. Like I got it as a kid in 97 or 98. Anyway, it has over the years been damaged, lost its range-finder and visor. But now I have decided to put it to use, so I am working on repairing the helmet while my armour is being shipped.

Now I am a dedicated hobbyist. I had been looking at buying a new rangefinder but then said to myself "Heck, I can make one easy"

First thing, here you can see where the missing ear piece is. I am going to use plasticard to make a replacement cover. Scroll on to find out what the nickels are for...

So here is my stem. It consists of a Plasticard (Styrene Sheet) I beam in the middile and a plasticard square tube on one side and a wooden dowel on the other. I made it about 15cm long.

THE NICKLES. So these are almost the PERFECT Size for the range finder mount. to pivot. A little adjustment with a dremmel and it will be perfect. I super glued the nickles together and then I epoxied the stem to them.

Here is what I made the range finder out of. It is 4 x 6 cm, 2 deep on the stem side, 1 on the inner side. Thickest on top, medium plasticard for the walls and the bottom is paper really thin and flexible plasticard, as that is easy to curve. I reinforced the inside with "green stuff" epoxy.  I then sanded down the edges the make it smooth all around

Filling in the dents and labels. I am going to sand them down next. Filled them in with "Grey" and "Green stuff" modelling epoxies

And finally (for now) I have built up the bottom of the left cheek a little to make it better match the right. I will sand this down too.

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2015, 03:36 AM by Gothmog Balrog » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Scratch Built Rangefinder and modified Don Post Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2015, 03:03 AM »
Like the trick with the nickles Vod, you're off to a great start. With that base helmet you're cutting your time for most major mid stuffs. Can't wait to see more!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2015, 01:13 AM »
that's what I call a $100 idea that cost 5cents. Nice job! :laugh:

15 years of miniature models has made me "wise in the ways of the force" aka hobby shortcuts.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2015, 04:47 AM »
MORE WORK YAY!!!

Cut out my visor

Ground out the ear some

Sanded my fillings. Later I primed and resanded some parts and primed again

Building up the ear

New ear cover

And primed. You can see the filling still, so I sanded some more and reprimed. It went away for the most part and should disapear with a full paint job

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Looks great! I really like the little tips and tricks you have used so far.

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

JatneDan

• If it's still moving, check for a pulse.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2015, 06:20 AM »
Looking good broski!

I paint models myself. Plenty of GW. Black Templars, tau and imperial guard. Just did some terminators a few weeks ago actually.

One comment. You may have messed up cutting out the entire t visor. I think most people leave a little bit in the corners and in the bottom of the vertical portion because that's what you glue the visor to. You don't glue it along the edges. :/.do you have another plan? Do share please, because I accidentally did the same.

Looks great tho.

Lynn TXP 0369

• He's no good to me dead.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2015, 08:02 AM »

One comment. You may have messed up cutting out the entire t visor. I think most people leave a little bit in the corners and in the bottom of the vertical portion because that's what you glue the visor to. You don't glue it along the edges. :/.do you have another plan? Do share please, because I accidentally did the same.

Looks great tho.
He'll be fine.
He can also mount the visor like I did mine.

I used Chicago screws with the screw part epoxied to the helmet, modified picture hangers, and nuts to hold everything together. I got to find some 8/32 thumb nuts to fit the screws instead of the nuts as it will make visor removal much easier.
No glue, no fuss no muss easy visor removal.

Lynn

Phil. 4:13
Ex Phoenix Squadron member TXP 0369.
Helmet done.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=100331.15

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2015, 10:40 AM »
I glue my visors down along the edge.

QMU#084
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Yeah, I have plenty of overlap. I am probably going to glue it down just to make the helmet more rigid

Bowfanny

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Any type of visor install makes your helmet more rigid. I recently replaced the visor in my vizsla and Without the visor it was more flexible than I remembered it being. Which scared me until I got the new visor in! I used hot glue on a couple spots and didn't glue the entire perimeter like I did the first time! Lol

QMU#084
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2015, 10:50 AM »
It has been weathered as well but here is the last helmet only photo. I am going to matte varnish it today and then I can mount in my T-Visor

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2015, 02:08 PM »

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Looks great vod!!  Nicely done with the RF and earcap.  :)

I will try and get better photos later, but my bucket is DONE

I matte varnished it and installed my T-Visor and Foam with Hot glue. Foam is a cut up mattress topper

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
nice job, paint work looks great. ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!