Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bondo Question

• 3 Replies
Bondo Question
« on: May 18, 2016, 05:33 PM »
I'm building my helmet out of a hard hat and home depot buckets.  I'm using bondo to fill in the gaps, but I'm noticing that in some posts people have put bondo on the entire bucket.  Do I need to bondo the entire thing or just use it for the crevices?

~I'm Sick but I'm Pretty~

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Bondo Question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Just the crevasses and the seams, typically; any more than that, and you'll be working yourself to death sanding the thing. ;)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Yep.  Just the nooks and crannies for a build like you have.  :)

Those people that you see putting bondo all over their scratch build, are generally making their helmet out of some sort of heavy card stock, or chip board, then coating it with fiberglass resin.  After that, you begin the tedious process of covering it with thin layers of bondo, then sanding it down.  Rinse and repeat as many times as it takes to get it smooth.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 11:46 PM »
Yep.  Just the nooks and crannies for a build like you have.  :)

Those people that you see putting bondo all over their scratch build, are generally making their helmet out of some sort of heavy card stock, or chip board, then coating it with fiberglass resin.  After that, you begin the tedious process of covering it with thin layers of bondo, then sanding it down.  Rinse and repeat as many times as it takes to get it smooth.
That being said there are also loads of cake decorators out there that end up with loads more work than necessary, thin is good, build up slow. Hit your nooks and crannies but don't forget that some dings and things are battle damage!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!