Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scratch build, progress Pics, thanks for looking, Aluminum casted helmet.

• 84 Replies

Bogue

Greetings everyone.
I could use some advice on how to build the "cheek" area. It has angles, but it's curved as well. I've been doing some trial and error this evening. But it's late & time for bed. I've built a few helmets before, but went with the traditional Fett style cheek area.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2016, 11:28 AM by Bogue » Logged

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Scratch build, need advice please
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2015, 07:35 AM »
looks like you may have to start with a flat pattern then dart the sharper angles (like in dress making). i used hot glue on the outside of the cheeks on my helmet, the spot glued the curve as i held it in position. hope that helps. using a bucket that has the curve built in might help too.

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2015, 08:19 AM »
Best advice I can give is not to do the shaping work on your own - my wife and I worked together on scratch building our helmets (see our WIP) and having an extra pair of hands/eyes on fiddly things like forming the cheeks (which are by far the trickiest part) made it all the more possible. Be assured that even if you have trouble making the curves match it's possible to even things out and correct any sins with Bondo/filler and sanding afterwards.
Best of luck - it'll be all downhill after the cheeks I promise!

Bogue

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2015, 12:20 PM »
Thank you, I'll try darting the pattern & see if I can get an extra set of hands to help. :-)

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2015, 08:37 AM »
If you want them to be angled, I'd suggest just making a plate or each section, like, at each intersection point, you start a new piece. So in total 5 pieces, by the looks of it. Then you can trace the shape of the inner cheek from where each of them meet. I tried using one piece, and even darting, and it didn't come out right, and I wasted more material than was necessary.

If you want it to look curved, though, I'd say, get one long piece, and just bend it at each intersection, and then dart afterward. Helps if you do it with regular, thin paper first, that way you have more give, and it's more malleable. Hope that helps!

- Liz G.

WIP Threads:
Sabine Master List

Jes'la Rozlyn (MandOC)
- Planning
- Helmet
- Soft Bits
- Hard Bits

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2015, 09:23 AM »
^^^ This.  I would also suggest using a separate piece for each section.  Like Skekkesh said, use some hot glue to spot weld each piece in place, then once all of the upper cheek pieces are set, use them to make a template for the single, lower cheek piece. Good luck, that looks like it's gonna be a stunning helmet when it's done!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2015, 11:56 AM »
I personally think you can do the upper section separate from the flat section of the cheek base. The easiest way I know to do the complex areas you have there is make a paler template first. Use the original pattern and add in your squared off sections. I'd say addition is the name of the game, as in for each little squared area you added in add the width of the inset plus double (each side depth) for the bends by simply cutting a wedge shape piece and inserting it into the premade cheek part. If you would like visuals I can do that.

Edit:
I went ahead and made a mock up of what I was saying.

Now by having the inserts taper it allows you to keep the same base cheek while adding in the details you want. let me know if you need any further assistance!

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2015, 02:02 PM by Bowfanny » Logged
It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Bogue

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Thanks guys! You all rock! I've been attempting the separate pieces, and trying to match them all up. Once I figure this out I'll post pics.
Thank you again!

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2015, 02:31 PM »
That's a really neat idea - cursing that we didn't think of that...  (logging that little tip away for the next set of custom buckets!)

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2015, 02:41 PM »
Further proof that Bowfanny is the **** when it comes to helmets.   8)

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Further proof that Bowfanny is the **** when it comes to helmets.   8)
It's fun to think outside the box Vod! Lol
Thanks guys! You all rock! I've been attempting the separate pieces, and trying to match them all up. Once I figure this out I'll post pics.
Thank you again!
Use cardstock and make the parts androgen trace the taped together parts all together and make a new template then fold and attach it to the helmet and fiberglass it all at once.

QMU#084

Bogue

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Thank you again everyone! I greatly appreciate the advice and help you all have me. It took me way too long to figure this out but I got it in the end. I eventually used aluminum foil, carefully placed it in there, and shaped it to the basic form I was attempting to get. Marked it up with a sharpie, flattened it out, glued it to cardboard and I had my stencil.

Adenn'Kal

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2015, 06:46 PM »
I like the look of your visor vod. I'll follow this tread with interest.

Bogue

« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Thanks! :-)

Bowfanny

« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Well that was the easier of the two outlines to do! ;D good job Vod.

QMU#084

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2015, 07:51 PM »
That looks fantastic! Great work, vod. This should turn out well ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2015, 08:51 PM »
Wow, that is so awesome!! That is going to be a beautiful helmet!!

Bogue

« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2015, 10:15 PM »
Thanks! I always appreciate and enjoy compliments. I'll be sure to continue with updates and photos. Please stay tuned :-)

Bogue

« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2015, 03:46 PM »
I've been working on the key slot today. Of course have some filler work to do with bondo.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Scratch build, progress Pics, thanks for looking
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Oooh that's nice. Very unique, I like it!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Bowfanny

« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2015, 08:43 PM »
Very nice!

QMU#084

Bogue

« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2015, 01:02 AM »
Thank you! :-)

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2015, 09:26 AM »
Holy moly. That key slot is SWEET!!!

Bogue

« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2015, 09:23 PM »
Most of yesterday & today was spent applying bondo. Bondo, sand, bondo, sand, repeat a hundred times. I am almost finished with the bondo. Still have a bit to go.
When I get home from work tonight I'll be sanding & spot puttying all night long.

Bowfanny

« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Looking fantastic Vod keep at it!

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!