Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scratch build, progress Pics, thanks for looking, Aluminum casted helmet.

• 84 Replies

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
Re: Scratch build, progress Pics, thanks for looking
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2015, 01:41 AM »
Ooh, I love the look of this custom Buy'ce. Following this with extreme interest....

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Bogue

« Reply #26 on: Nov 05, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Well it has been a frustrating few days of the bondo & sanding phase. I'm almost there. Working on the face and the cheeks area.
Anyone know a tip or secret to making clean lines in bondo for angled areas?

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Anyone know a tip or secret to making clean lines in bondo for angled areas?

Hand files. Seriously.  ;)

Bondo is slow & frustrating, but you're doing great, it's coming along really nicely!!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 05, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Also to go along with the hand file suggestion is a razor blade on its own just before the bondo is fully hardened when it's still semi soft plastic is to cut down the high points with the razor blade so that sanding is much easier.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Bogue

« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

Bogue

« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 2015, 10:59 PM »
Hi everyone, I am almost done smoothing out the helmet. I am building this for a college art project & officially past my deadline. There are still a few minor imperfections that I want to fix, but they will have to be filled in at a later time. I've almost used an entire quart can of bondo on this guy, & have used an entire tube of glaze putty on it. I plan to cast and make a resin copy of the helmet. I'll fix the remaining imperfections on that one.
Hoping to get the key slot cleaned up tonight.

Since I'm past my deadline I am hoping I get lucky and still get to do what I plan to with this helmet before the semester ends. I have a few ideas for the ears, I have to draw them out still, they may get 3D printed.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #31 on: Nov 10, 2015, 11:06 PM »
Look at how perdy that is!

QMU#084

Bogue

« Reply #32 on: Nov 10, 2015, 11:43 PM »
Thank you! :-)

WhatATimeToBeAMando

• Pirun Sal: Kid Mando
« Reply #33 on: Nov 11, 2015, 12:42 AM »
I may have just skipped the reason, but what are the two slots on the cheek for?  Or are they just decoration.  Either way, very neat!   :D

Ihala

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #34 on: Nov 11, 2015, 01:28 AM »
That's a very elegant design.  Love that kind of bas relief mythosaur on the back.  I hope you get a good grade on this!

Elek, ke gana ash...
"Yes, have some..."

MMCC #1112

Bogue

« Reply #35 on: Nov 11, 2015, 04:42 PM »
Hi guys, thank you for the compliments. I really appreciate them.  The two slots on the side, they are there for decoration. I liked them, and the asymmetry of it.

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 11, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Just stumbled upon this build. very nice work vod!

Will be watching with interest for the finished product.

Oya!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009
« Reply #37 on: Nov 11, 2015, 11:06 PM »
Looking so good!

Jorbe Falco

• Jorbe Falco - Fly Casual
« Reply #38 on: Nov 13, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Beautiful work.

Jorbe Falco

Armor WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=101471
Helmet WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=103925.0
Soft Parts WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=104506.0

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do"

Bogue

« Reply #39 on: Nov 14, 2015, 11:45 PM »
Hi everyone, thank you again for the compliments. I've started the molding process. Here are a couple more pics before I started the casting. I added a little bit of relief to the back, I wish I would of added more. Ah well.

Bowfanny

« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2015, 01:12 PM »
Add more later! If you're gonna mould it it's better to mould a basic idea of your helmet than get crazy and waste moulding supplies (done it myself) by rushing and having details that could be added later.

QMU#084

Bogue

« Reply #41 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:54 AM »
This is my first successful wax pull from my mood. It was still a little warm when I pulled it out and did a little damage. So it may get chopped up & melted back down and poured again.
Before the semester ends, I'll have an aluminum cast helmet hopefully! Doing the lost wax casting method. We will see. I've got some wax cooling in the mood at the moment.

Bowfanny

« Reply #42 on: Nov 19, 2015, 03:13 AM »
DEWD I'd take one of those in resin in a heart beat!

QMU#084

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #43 on: Nov 19, 2015, 09:03 AM »
Yep, you can go ahead and put me down for a resin version. Seriously.  :)

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Hm...I'm not sure how this molding and casting business works, but it all looks very interesting

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 19, 2015, 10:15 AM »
I could be persuaded to make an order should these become available....just sayin'

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #46 on: Nov 19, 2015, 10:42 AM »
I like it a lot. The custom work is very subtle, but it's striking

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Bogue

« Reply #47 on: Nov 19, 2015, 11:21 AM »
Thanks everyone! :-) I greatly appreciate your compliments. It does mean a lot to me. Resin versions of this helmet will be for sale eventually. I am friends with the good folks at Eternal Armory. They will eventually be selling this helmet :-) I will be sure to keep this thread going to let you know when it's available.
I still have to design some ear caps for it, Eternal Armory may even design a few themselves so there will be options maybe.

At the end of this month I should be pouring my aluminum. I hope the detail shows up in the aluminumn casting process. If it doesn't that's a bummer, but this has been a great learning experience.

If anyone does buy this helmet in the future please let me know I can't wait to see what others do with it! :-)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #48 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Oooh, it'll be for sale? :)

What size is it?

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Bogue

« Reply #49 on: Nov 20, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Here is a pic of my wax copies. I have to have them invested by Tuesday, so that we can do the wax burnout over Thanksgiving break.
I'm not sure in the size, I'll get measurements though. I used the WOF templates as a base, took them to a copy machine & increased the size by 3%. Then drew my design on top of it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!