Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Early Crusader, Updated photos begin on page 3 - 7/31/17

• 46 Replies

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
Greetings, mercs!

Around 6 months ago, I decided to start another kit.  Early Crusader is where I wanted to go.  The idea woke me up in the middle of the night and I jumped out of bed and started drawing out and cutting plates.

I am going for a Reek inspired kit.  Again, the Reek has almost no earth tones in its' skin.  It seems to be all black and red.  I added the brown flightsuit to incorporate some kind of earth tone and I don't think it looks too bad.  Would a black or dark grey flight suit be a better fit for my design and inspiration?

Here are some of the plates that I had already formed and painted.  The rest of them are already cut, formed and painted, as well.  The pics don't do them justice.  I've applied 7 washes of black, dark cinnamon and burnt umber.  In person they look very natural to everyone I've asked.

I've already sculpted my Reek horns and will start building the bucket soon.

My main questions are:  Are these concepts approveable as they are?  and Are we on the right track?

I truly appreciate any feedback or critiques.

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2017, 04:22 AM by Erio J'uni » Logged

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Erio J'uni

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
Re: Early Crusader - questions and suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2015, 09:25 AM »
We are getting ready to dig back into our builds.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  We'd hate to make an unforgivable mistake.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2015, 10:30 AM »
I would definitely tone that red back, maybe go with a more reddish brown a rusty red. Earth tones are actually what is required in the Early Crusader Era but, I feel if another color is done well as an accent it would be fine. 
Great job on giving the plates an organic feel. They turned out really nice.

Erio J'uni

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Thank you for the feedback!  We're getting back underway and we will post everything we have as we go so opinions will always be welcome.

Erio J'uni

« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:35 AM »
Finally some decent progress!  I took a KOTOR helmet and started to smooth it out and change the visor design.  I'm adding some more bondo details, recutting the visor and adding the horns and hoses.  Hopefully, I'll start having steadier progress soon.

Erio J'uni

« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:21 AM »
A little more progress.  At a stand still until I can resculpt the horns.  Hopefully, I'll have more progress this weekend.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Neat.  :)

"... we think too often in terms of dualism: Jedi or Sith, light or dark, right or wrong. But there are three sides to this blade, not two, opposed and similar at the same time . . . the third edge is the Mandalorian."   - Vergere

Armor WIP

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:20 PM »
looks like a cool build!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

merquise13

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2016, 03:12 PM »
Looking great. cant wait for another EC kit to join us!

Dha'Kas Novae: Approved Legacy - Demolitions Expert
Riever: Approved Early Crusader - Beast Tamer.

facebook.com/sirnotappearinginthiscosplay

Erio J'uni

« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2016, 02:36 AM »
Finally getting to resculpting the horns.  The top horn is almost where I want it.  My wife did a great job on this!  Next, the side horns.

Erio J'uni

« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Finally getting around to posting my armor.  Still working on the soft parts, new spearhead and helmet but making progress.

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards 300 Troops Celebration Anaheim 2022 200 troops 250 Troops 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2016, 12:50 PM »
Looking great vod I can't wait to see it finished!

Official Invasions: 265
Official Member #1132
Force Hunter/ Brigade Member #291
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174054.msg2027502#msg2027502

Post Imperial WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200180.0

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2016, 01:51 PM »
Nice progress. the colour does indeed look natural, not feeling the shaping is though - the plates are all very square. They look a little manufactured rather than natural.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Erio J'uni

« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:01 PM »
I was concerned about that, too.  I was imagining that the plates were cut from some sort of carapace which can form in more geometric shapes.

Erio J'uni

« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2016, 07:31 PM »
Side horn finished.  I'll be scanning them and 3d printing them to keep the weight down.  After they're printed, I'll add the horn texture back in.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2016, 06:52 PM »
That helmet is gonna be awesome when it's done. I'm loving it.

Erio J'uni

« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2016, 04:29 AM »

Erio J'uni

« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2016, 08:26 AM »
I have about 6 square feet of dark red leather.  Would I be able to use it to make gaiters and bracers to attach my gauntlet armor to?

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2016, 09:03 AM »
How red is the red?

If it's one of those darker burnished red shades then it should be fine. If it's a brighter red then it may not work so well with the rest of the aesthetic.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Erio J'uni

« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2016, 10:08 AM »
The picture doesn't do it justice.  It's actually much darker than the pic shows.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Given how much glare and colour change I get from photographing my leathers, I think that's dark enough to me to be a more natural shade. It's definitely not neon bright or extra glossy coated.

Erio J'uni

« Reply #21 on: Apr 19, 2016, 03:48 AM »
Finally got my horns scanned.  A friend is smoothing them out and 3d printing them.  Once they're finished I hope I can go full throttle on the rest of the build.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 19, 2016, 07:25 AM »
That is looking amazing. Will be following this with great interest :D

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2016, 08:25 AM »
This Will be fun To watch , glad I Found it Early ...  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Erio J'uni

« Reply #24 on: Jul 03, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Another quick question.  Will either of these sets of glove be acceptable?  Both are leather.  I'm partial to the first set.  I just need gloves with a long cuff.  I plan to attach my forearm armor directly to them.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!