Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom Legacy Kit W.I.P

• 14 Replies

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Custom Legacy Kit W.I.P
« on: Nov 01, 2015, 11:06 AM »
Hey all,

So I started working on the standard Boba Fett style kit, wasn't really happy with the way it looked, I then decided to try a full on legacy kit wasn't happy with it either. So now I have said to heck with it and am just going full custom with some inspiration pulled from both the modern Boba style and the legacy style as well. Anyway, the chest plates are done and painted. Any advice or thoughts on the kit would be greatly appreciated, am aiming to getting approved in the long run, working on the high collar and the shoulders now, the last picture shows the start of the collar.

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2015, 07:55 PM by Ghosthammer54 » Logged

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Custom Legacy Kit W.I.P
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Spend the day trying out different shoulder and collar designs, settled on doing an asymmetrical shoulder design, that is inspired by mandalore the lesser's shoulder armor. Only got the heavy armored shoulder done today, plan on doing the classic mando shoulder pad for the other shoulder. Still need to work out how am going to handle the collar, but that is a challenge for tomorrow.

Corvas Ta'niyr

• Sushir at taor be simir
  • Awards 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Most invasions trooped in 2017 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2015, 12:07 AM »
The two areas that I have a concern are the arms eye of the chest plate and the bottom portion of the ab plate.  The arms eye had that little pointy bit on the side - you might end up with bruising on the inside of your bicep if you go to cross your arms.  On the ab plate - how difficult is it going to be for you to sit down when kitted up?

Other than that - I like the hybrid look of it.  I would classify it as "transitional" since it is making that variant from the BF to the Legacy plates.

;)

Corvas Ta'niyr
(the recruit formally known as Marsh Wilste)

Sushir at ashi- o' at katahre bal kathtare- val mr ganar etie gehat'ik at rejorhaa'ir - Listen to others - even the dull and ignorant - They too have their story to tell.

G.O.M.O.L # 004
MiB #003
GBOT #013

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
Re: Custom Transitional Kit W.I.P
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Thanks, am really happy with how it is coming along. I will re-class it has Transitional.

On the arm crossing issue, just tried it out. Am going to need to round out a few points. Thanks for that tip I wasn't even thinking about crossing my arms. I have been way more focus on up, down and forward movements; like pointing at things.

As for sitting. The two ab plates have a good deal of movement the large plate swings out a full two inches or more. So thus far just mucking about with the shoulder and chest plates strapped on I have been able to move very close to normal. Range of movement was a big reason I started this design in the first place.

Am hoping to get the collar, backplate and other shouldered squared away today.

Also thanks for the feedback again, I really appreciate it  :D

Corvas Ta'niyr

• Awards 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Most invasions trooped in 2017 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2015, 04:36 PM »
Glad I was able to help.

Speaking from experience - the first time I wore my kit to an event I was having a hard time getting to my phone on my right vambrace (gauntlet) and that motion (crossing my arms) created a bruise on each bicep about 3" in diameter.  I cut 1.5" off of each arms eye on my chest plate and debuted that mod yesterday for a photo shoot that the clan did yesterday (Sunday, 1 Nov).  That little bit made a world of difference.

Corvas Ta'niyr
(the recruit formally known as Marsh Wilste)

Sushir at ashi- o' at katahre bal kathtare- val mr ganar etie gehat'ik at rejorhaa'ir - Listen to others - even the dull and ignorant - They too have their story to tell.

G.O.M.O.L # 004
MiB #003
GBOT #013

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:42 PM »
That sounds super unfun, extra thanks for helping me dodge that bullet and glad to hear that you fix worked out well for you.

On the topic of armor, got the base of my pauldron/collar thingy done, still trying to work out the shape for those plates. I got my heavy shoulder painted as well as the last parts of my chest plate done, along with stepping up the weathering and adding a few more little details on the chest plate. Am trying to work out who I want to do my backplate right now. Should have some more build updates tomorrow.

The chestplate is a bit tilted as am just holding it on with my hands and the diamond is still only attached with a bit of double sized tape, super nervous am attaching it permanently.

Close up shot for some of the chest plate detail

Edit: After looking at the pictures, and a little test run, I have decide to fit the chest plate under the shoulder instead of the other way around as it both looks better and moves better when place that way.

« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2015, 11:02 PM by Ghosthammer54 » Logged
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2015, 04:54 PM »
great job so far. can't wait to see it finished

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Thanks DarkRazor! I really appreciate that.

For today's update. I got my backplate all cut out, shaped and painted, as well as my thigh plates, and after many hours of staring at pictures and other kits, worked out my collar issue which is a huge weight of my shoulders.

Am hoping tomorrow and can get the shin, knees and boot armor done and maybe the bicep armor.

Anyway, pictures!

Backplate

Thigh Plates, am having way to much fun with mandalorian script not going to lie.

Corvas Ta'niyr

« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2015, 12:06 AM »
Looks really good.  I like the way that you layered the thigh plates.

On the back plate - remember the crossing the arms across your chest thing I mentioned earlier - the same rule applies to the back plate.  Cross your arms in front and then bring your elbows back as far as possible.  You will probably need a helper to make note of where (if any) pinch points are and adjust as needed.

When you get to the shins - add padding to the inside.  This will make them a hell of a lot more comfortable to wear for long periods of time and should you do any kneeling - will be easier on both your shin and the plates themselves.  I used 3/4" closed cell foam with the outside edge beveled back on mine to give it a finished look (which reminds me that I should get some pictures of my finished kit and get them up here).

Looking real good all the way around.

Keep up the good work.

Corvas

G.O.M.O.L # 004
MiB #003
GBOT #013

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2015, 06:55 AM »
I will for sure pad my shins, I have some rubber sheeting that I used to give my chest plates a bit more weight, so I will put some extra of that in the shin/knee armor. And I will for sure ask my lady to give me a hand checking for pinch points with the backplate.

Thanks again for the tips Corvas, I am very grateful for your sage advice on avoiding bruising.

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2015, 10:11 PM »
Didn't get as much done today as I wanted. As I decide to make a new set of shoulder armor as the first set to greatly limited my range of motion with my left arm. But I did however get my shin armor done, and got my hand plates cut and shaped, and weathered up my other plates nice and good, in doing so I when a bit overboard with my backplate and ended up having to repainted it, but such is the way of things.

Anyway, here is all of my work as it stands all laid out on the floor, as it is well past the point that I can just hold all the paints on myself. (Not the best picture)

My hope is to have all my plates done by the end of the week and get my vest and flight suit squared away over the weekend and maybe if am lucky I can manage get them attached. Then from there all that will stand in my way from a full kit is the helmet...not going to lie it is haunting my dreams

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2015, 02:12 AM »
Kits looking fantastic Vod,
Don't tell me you're afraid of the helmet! Sorry you said daunting, lol helmets are pretty easy to be honest with you, I had a harder time with my plates. Helmets you sand and smooth and to make one that is amazing is just an awesome feeling. Seriously I've made a lot of helmets, a good chunk of them have been given away to clan-mates or what not but I am really attached to my main helmet because I find it to be the one that talks to me and tells me my Mando story. Like realizing your correct path. Let me know if I can help!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2015, 02:29 PM »
Thanks Bowfanny!

And as for this morning, I decide to dive on in at trying to make my own helmet. Things are starting to come along, and if I run into a rough spot with the build I will totally hit you up for some advice.

Odds are this is all the work I will get done today, as I have my first session of my new Star Wars Edge of the Empire game to run this evening!

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2015, 06:54 AM »
Didn't have a ton of time yesterday, so sadly didn't gain any ground on my helmet yet. I did however a some time last night to work up a couple grenades and my beskad. Today is hopefully going to be sewing/plate strapping day, so hopefully by the end of the day I will have a mostly put together kit!

In the meantime weapon pictures!

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2015, 09:19 PM »
So my helmet is well underway, learn that I have a long and large head, so it took some doing to get the sizing right. But things are coming together really well, so far need to start the bondo work, and then I will be home free on the helmet front.

Many five gallon buckets died to make this helmet, when through four to get to this helmet. But am very happy with it.

Ear caps, put some magnets in there so that I can remove the fun ear cap parts and so they can change position. 

This weekend, I also got my vest and belt done, the pictures aren't the best, but so it goes.

Am thinking I may need to bring the bottom of the vest up just a bit, but all in all very happy with how those two items turned out.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!