Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Respirator filter backpack thingo

• 9 Replies
Respirator filter backpack thingo
« on: Nov 07, 2015, 06:30 AM »
Hey Vods!

Looking at making a filter type thing for my respirator I'm doing for my bucket. I'm wondering if it can replace a backplate? I'm going to make it cover the entire back btw, not just a part of it so I'm hoping I won't have to make a backplate?

Thanks for any feedback :D

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2015, 06:33 AM by ratiin dralshya » Logged
Re: Respirator filter backpack thingo
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2015, 06:34 AM »
I know it's a really bad design and shoddy drawing but oh well, I hope you get the idea

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2015, 05:27 AM »
Hey, your drawing may not be a Da Vinci, but we totally get the point :)

I just checked the CRLs, and if your backplate covers 2/3 of your back, you can go with it without a backplate !

Back covering:
Some form of back covering is required. (Backpack, back armor, air tank, cape, cloak, etc.)
Must cover at least 2/3 the overall width and length of the back.
Back armor SHOULD be used as all canon references for Modern Era Mandalorians show back armor. However, if your Mandalorian wears a duster or other jacket or a cape that fully covers the back from shoulder to shoulder and neck to waist, the use of a backplate is not required. Backpacks and jetpacks are also acceptable in lieu of a back plate. However, the back covering must completely cover the back as to make it unknown that there is no backplate present.
Soft back coverings can be substituted for back armor pieces as long as they add to the overall look of the applicant’s armor.
Full/half capes are acceptable as long as they cover the entire back area. (No armor vest should be showing.)
Soft/hard backpacks/packs are acceptable alternatives.

I have a little question :
Two tubes on the same side ? How do you plan to attach them on your bucket ?
(Haha I'm always thinking about having a comfortable kit :) )

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2015, 05:34 AM »
Hey Vod,
yeah, 2 on the same side :D the plan is to make them very long (like, 10-20cm more then they need to be)  and I plan to have them connect to the bucket via earth magnets :D 1 in the tube connecter bit and one on the inside of the bucket :D

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2015, 06:16 AM »
Sounds like a good idea ! :) Try to get something not too heavy, then, so you still can move your head easily. (I don't want you to get neck pain during your troops :o)

« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2015, 06:46 AM »
Thanks! I'm not sure if how I'm planning to make it is a good idea but I was planning on using cardboard boxes with PVC plating for the main sections, and other bits and bobs. I was going to use painted hose for the tubes too

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Be careful for these tubes :) I think you should try to find already colored plastic hose, really light.

The problem with painting them is that your paint may peel when it moves/stretches.

« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2015, 06:27 PM »
mmm, true. I'll look around

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2015, 03:27 AM »
you might want to rethink the attachment method of the tubes. Rare earth magnets are strong, yes, but if the tubes are a little too stiff, they might just pop off or flop sideways.

Maybe find hose connectors that are pushed into the tubes and glue those to your bucket? Or maybe drill a hole and plug the hose connector through that hole into the tube? That way you have a mechanical bond that won't budge when the tubes are too stiff or are pulled/bump into things/etc.

just my 2 cents :)

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2015, 06:20 AM »
I definitely echo Anvillian about the magnets, even the really strongest magnets tend to pull away too easily & you will constantly be fiddling with them. For the cables on my flamethrower, I used black bungie cords, They are super light & very flexible. For attachment I used screw-on coax cable connectors.

Hopefully this helps!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!