Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

A'den's Softparts W.I.P Pic Heavy!

• 49 Replies
A'den's Softparts W.I.P Pic Heavy!
« on: Nov 13, 2015, 06:07 PM »
So I received my brown belt and have purchased  some brown fabric for my cape and kama.

Here's my long sleeve shirt and scrubs, The vest I'll be getting will have a neck seal covering up my neck. I'll also on the look out for black leather gloves with no logo's I can modify and add armor pieces to the gloves.

My question is: what are some good ways to weather the belt pouches, cape and kama?

I do have some model paint I could use for a black back wash on the belt and pouches but thought it better if I ask first.

Thanks!  8)

A'den

« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2015, 12:09 AM by Aden Banto » Logged

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
Re: A'den's Softparts W.I.P
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2015, 01:52 AM »
are your pouches pleather? mine look similar an I gave them a light buffing with a medium grit sandpaper an hey presto they look like distressed leather.

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2015, 04:35 PM »
are your pouches pleather? mine look similar an I gave them a light buffing with a medium grit sandpaper an hey presto they look like distressed leather.

How much area of each belt pouch should I cover with the sanding? I was thinking about some of the corners of the pouches.....

jett drexel

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2015, 08:51 PM »
have a practice on a section of the belt that's under a pouch so if you don't like the effect it's out of sight. I ended up doing all of mine as I liked the look

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2015, 11:22 AM »
So I got these leather gloves yesterday and have started planning out the armor pieces I want to attach to the gloves. I know there are tags on the gloves, I'll cut or cover them soon.

Whats the best way to attach the armor pieces to the glove?? I was thinking about using super glue.....

Also the sand paper on the pouches looks really cool! Nice weathering affect. Over the sanded parts I'll smear some black back wash on it to give it a better weathered affect.

Ihala

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2015, 11:50 AM »
Super glue is a little thin and brittle for bonding something soft to something rigid.  E-6000 or something similar would work better.  There are a variety of craft cements designed for cloth and leather too, you may want to experiment on scraps first.  And I suggest roughing up the back of the plates to allow the glue to "grab".

Elek, ke gana ash...
"Yes, have some..."

MMCC #1112
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2015, 12:19 AM »
So I weathered my belt and pouches and have to say they turned out a lot nicer than I thought they would. The black back wash really did the trick on the pouches.

I've decided on doing my own custom Death Watch Merc.  ;D I've added the DW symbol to the front of the belt. Think I'll spray paint it black.

Anyone know if super glue will work for gluing the symbol to the pleather?

Thanks for reading!

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2015, 08:29 AM »
Superglue doesn't have the flex you'll need. I recommend e6000 instead.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Girth belt came in today!!! Super happy with it!

Sticky tacked the DW symbol. It's not permanent yet!  8)

Is there another glue out there that works just as well as E6000? Gorilla Glue maybe? E6000 isn't in any of my local stores. And ordering online is pretty expensive just for the shipping...

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2015, 02:16 PM »
Girth belt looks great vod!  I just got mine in today also!  :)  I like the DW symbol on the belt, it looks great!  Not sure what would work better than E6000 tbh... It's a super strong bond, while still giving you more flexibility than most other adhesives... Someone else may have a suggestion though! 

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Girth belt looks great vod!  I just got mine in today also!  :)  I like the DW symbol on the belt, it looks great!  Not sure what would work better than E6000 tbh... It's a super strong bond, while still giving you more flexibility than most other adhesives... Someone else may have a suggestion though!

Thanks vod!   :D Yeah I saw your's on your thread, pretty awesome orange! Think I might just order the E6000..

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2015, 01:54 AM »
So here's my scrubs, shirt, girth belt and pouch belt.

The gloves are still being worked on  :)

When my holster arrives I'll ditch two of the pouches on the right side.

Let me know what you vode think!  ;D

jett drexel

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2015, 02:09 AM »
e6000 is good an strong but it takes a long time to cure. araldite 2 part epoxy is also mega strong but only takes 6 mins.

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2015, 09:40 AM »
I've used E6000 on a lot of different things. You can get it from Walmart in the isle with duct tape and super glue. Speaking of which, I need to get another tube...

Your soft parts are looking good vod. I can't wait to see it come together!  8)

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2015, 11:21 AM »
Thanks for the info and complements vode! I'll check out my walmart again to see if they have it.  :)

« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2015, 10:37 PM »
Cape done. Just gonna add some dirt to it~   :P

Sorry for the crappy photo's. Phones acting up again!

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2015, 10:38 PM »
Nice vod.  8)

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:03 PM »
Updates!

So my belt pouch is 100% complete. The holster was purchased from Jaing. It came in today. It's a bit of a tight fit for the blaster. But I got it to work  ;)

Let me know what you think!

My vest should be in sometime next week!    ;D

« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:04 PM »

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:26 PM »
I love it vod!!  I also have a holster from Jaing. Nice work.  :)

« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:33 PM »
I love it vod!!  I also have a holster from Jaing. Nice work.  :)

Thanks vod! Yeah Jaing's got some sick skills  8)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:35 PM »
I like it! I wish I could make leather holsters/sheath/scabbard... oh well, PVC for now. :)

« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:37 PM »
I like it! I wish I could make leather holsters/sheath/scabbard... oh well, PVC for now. :)

I ordered the holster from Jaing if your interested in a link  ;) PVC holsters are pretty sweet

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2015, 02:27 PM »
Thanks for the offer. I don't have the money to spend on prebuilt stuff right now.  :)

« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Weathered the cape this morning:

Let me know what you thing  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!