Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

A'den's Softparts W.I.P Pic Heavy!

• 49 Replies

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: A'den's Softparts W.I.P
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Love the cape vod!  Nice job with the weathering!  Hopefully, you didn't get arrested for dragging it around town behind your car.  :P

« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2015, 08:28 PM »
Slight problem:

So now that I'm done with my DL-44 blaster, I put about 2-3 protective coats on it and let it dry for it's recommended dry time.  After I put it in my holster for set fitting, it scratched the paint off some of the blaster. I've repainted it many times and applied new clear coats after painting but that damn holster just keeps scrapping the paint off and you can see the white and orange underneath.  >:(

Anyone got a suggestion to fix this problem. The inside of the holster is pretty rough.  It's made from leather.

Any help or suggestions would be great!  ;D

« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2015, 08:29 PM »
Love the cape vod!  Nice job with the weathering!  Hopefully, you didn't get arrested for dragging it around town behind your car.  :P

Thanks vod! Yeah they turned a blind eye  :laugh: I'm gonna find some mud I can throw at the cape tomorrow then I'm calling it done

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2015, 09:19 PM »
What are you using to coat your blaster?

For the holster, maybe you could use a fine sandpaper to smoother out the inside? You could wrap the sandpaper around a paint stirrer to get further down inside the holster.

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2015, 09:21 PM »
What are you using to coat your blaster?

For the holster, maybe you could use a fine sandpaper to smoother out the inside? You could wrap the sandpaper around a paint stirrer to get further down inside the holster.

I'm using Krylon clear protective coat.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2015, 10:41 PM »
if you have room you could try putting a felt patch in your holster where it rubs.

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:54 AM »
You could always stretch the leather a bit too.  Soak it in some boiling water for a few, then put something larger than the gun barrel down in it, and let it dry.  That should help give you more room for the flash suppressor.  I think part of the problem is that Rubie's blasters have a tendancy to have non-cannon dimensions. I know for a fact it's extremely bad on the Westar-34's. 

« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2015, 12:49 PM »
I'll give both techniques a try. Thanks!

« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Here's a pic Sidi sent me:

The vest!

Really excited to get this soon!  :o  8)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:32 PM »
Kandosii ner'vod!

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:03 PM »

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2015, 12:29 PM »
I have one of sidi's vest and I can tell you, definitely top notch quality!

For your cape, I feel like it should have some jagged edges along the bottom. It's got some good damage and weathering in the middle but I feel like maybe it should be like that on the edges too.  Just my opinion :)

Not sure if you've come up with a solution for your holster yet but have you thought of lining it with a softer material? I'm sure cotton or something soft but sturdy could help with avoiding scratches on your blaster.

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #37 on: Dec 10, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Good to know! I also bought a girth belt off of Sidi and it's also top quality work.

For the cape I'll see what I can do for the weathering at the bottom. I agree it can be ripped up at the bottom a bit.

« Reply #38 on: Dec 25, 2015, 12:08 AM »
Here's some pics!:

Let me know what you think!  ;D

Raestin Ke'Varek

Re: A'den's Softparts W.I.P Pic Heavy!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Looks fantastic vod!  Nice job!  :)

Ju'siik Kelborn

« Reply #40 on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:34 PM »
I like it vod! I'll have to go find you armor WIP now. :)

« Reply #41 on: Dec 28, 2015, 05:09 PM »
Thanks vod!  8) Your comments are greatly appreciated! I'm moving over to my helmet build log, that's floating around the helmet section!  ;D

DocNightshade

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din...
« Reply #42 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:24 AM »
Best thing I've found for conditioning leather holster interiors is paraffin wax.
1. Take a small piece and rub the inside of the holster real well until it has a nice smooth feel.
2. Use a hair dryer (heat guns get too hot) set on high and blow across the wax in the holster for a minute or two.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until satisfied.
Not only does the wax help smooth the inside, but the heat and rubbing help to stretch and shape the leather a bit.

I'm just your average everyday freak-at-heart trying to adjust to modern suburbia and family life without eating the children or going on a killing spree down at the local shopping center. Again.

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:06 PM »
If those are your official pants, it looks like they could use some hemming. Especially if you're going to tuck into boots, but even if not. You don't need a trip hazard when you've got limited bucket vision.

Nishi Ja'tejag

Riye cuyir te tauira be a ori'jate jag.  Ni shi jate jag.  Pirusti, Ni cuy' an staabi!

Armour Planning WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78236.0

Soft Parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=77697.0

WIP Photo Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronsneary/albums/72157717142691673

Backstory: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=196736.0
« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:27 PM »
If those are your official pants, it looks like they could use some hemming. Especially if you're going to tuck into boots, but even if not. You don't need a trip hazard when you've got limited bucket vision.

Very true, vod. Thank you for pointing that out.  ;D

Best thing I've found for conditioning leather holster interiors is paraffin wax.
1. Take a small piece and rub the inside of the holster real well until it has a nice smooth feel.
2. Use a hair dryer (heat guns get too hot) set on high and blow across the wax in the holster for a minute or two.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until satisfied.
Not only does the wax help smooth the inside, but the heat and rubbing help to stretch and shape the leather a bit.

I've never heard of this method before vod. I'll for sure give it a shot! Thanks!   ;D

DocNightshade

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din...
« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:05 PM »
Good luck. Your kit's looking great so far. Can't wait for the finished product!

I'm just your average everyday freak-at-heart trying to adjust to modern suburbia and family life without eating the children or going on a killing spree down at the local shopping center. Again.

Da'am Keldau

• Beskar Gett'se Clan - Montana
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:11 PM »
I don't know what your stance is on firearms, but a 12 gauge and lighter make for some awesome weathering for the cape.

« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I'm all done the belt!  :)'

Let me know what you guys think!!  ;)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Nice work on those knife sheaths! This is really coming along well, keep it up ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:22 PM »
Nice work on those knife sheaths! This is really coming along well, keep it up ;D

Adenn Rancor made those. Thanks anyway!  :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!