Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Snaps?

• 20 Replies

Aden Banto

• Out of my entire arsenal, fear is my best weapon.
Re: Snaps?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2015, 03:22 AM »
No problem vod, good question.  :)

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2015, 04:47 AM »
In my opinion, snaps do make the plates sit a bit farther than my liking from the vest. It's personal preference though.

« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2015, 06:34 PM »
In my opinion, snaps do make the plates sit a bit farther than my liking from the vest. It's personal preference though.

Yeah fair enough, thanks Ralin.

Do you or does anyone else have photos of what armour looks like with the snaps installed?

I bought a bunch of snaps already intending to use them for this suit but it only just occurred to me when I posted my question that it may not look too great, so now I'm thinking of going velcro... :\

Beskar'gam progress:

Bucket: NME Props Assassin (completed)
Gauntlets: Bo Katan  (completed)
Armour: 0% (need to buy)
Soft Parts: 0% (making from scratch)
nme props jetpack: 0% (raw kit)
Weapon: DL-44

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work 40+ hrs Charity Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Keep the snaps back an inch or more from the edge or they will show; they're secondary attachment. Velcro should be 1/4" to 1/8" from the edge; primary attachment and will keep the edges from floating. I use Dritz size 10 sew on snaps. That way if I mess up the placement I can cut a stitch and redo. ;)

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

Rion Han

• That is my real name....
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2015, 01:49 PM »
Greetings all, just thought I'd weigh in with my method for attaching with snaps. I thought snaps would make the plates "float" too much from the armor, so my solution was to create countersink holes in the armor to take in the extra space. Using a heat tool (and vapor mask for fumes) I made a slight cradle to rest the female half of the snap.

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:29 PM »
I plan on doing something very similar, but using chicago screws counter-sunk into to the back of my plates.  The chicago screws will go in eyelets on my vest/flightsuit.  This should make for very tight fitting plates, that can be removed should I need to wash anything.  :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!