Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Desert weathering

• 8 Replies

Adenn Ram'ser

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Desert weathering
« on: Dec 08, 2015, 03:05 PM »
I need some help in a specific weathering technique. My buddy (who's also doing a Mando armor) told me about a weathering technique using sand. Does anybody have anymore specifics on that particular technique? Thanks.

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Desert weathering
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2015, 05:20 AM »
Not real sure which specific technique you're talking about, but with desert weathering you want to make it look like your armor has been sandblasted. I try to accomplish this by painting all of my layers & then using a heavy grit sandpaper (60-80 grit) & brushing lightly over the plate.

Another option is if you have access to a sandblaster machine, paint up your armor & toss it in the machine for a bit.

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:01 AM »
I have read of people getting things like cement mixers, putting various brick, rocks and sand in to it. Put all their softparts in and then run it for anything up to an hour to allow it to weather.

Not sure plates would like that sort of weathering though

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:14 AM »
Someone even set their plates on fire for realistic scorching lol.

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Adenn Ram'ser

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2015, 12:54 PM »
All really good ideas to think about. Thanks :D I guess the technique I'm talking about is using rock salt.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Simorph recently used rock salt to great effect on his blasters. He left a pretty good write up of the process in his thread if you wanna go take a look ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Someone even set their plates on fire for realistic scorching lol.

If you ever try this, be aware that the smell of scorched stuff stays around for a while. My kit still smells of burning and it's been a few months since I added anything to it.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2015, 05:45 AM »
If you ever try this, be aware that the smell of scorched stuff stays around for a while. My kit still smells of burning and it's been a few months since I added anything to it.

But the the kit is convincing to all the senses!

I've read of techniques that tank modelers use with sand/rock salt weathering. You basically paint the metal layer, spray the desired weathering areas with hairspray and pour rock salt/sand over it. The grit sticks to the surface in random areas because of the hairspray and then they airbrush their final colours over it and wash it off with warm water when all is dry. Because hairspray is water soluble they don't need any chemicals to wash it off that might damage the paint job.

OM# 1621
"Gar taldin ni jaonyc gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la."
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be."
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Here you go...

Salt Weathering - super easy to do, looks really boss...

Full write-up here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95388.msg1418114#msg1418114

Hairspray & a sprinkle of rock salt

Spray over and when dry, rub/wash off the salt...

For big scrapes - use liquid latex and then drop in rock salt before it dries - that makes the edges look much rougher than you can paint them

Then black/burnt umber/burnt sienna wash

For desert, you might want to rub some cinnamon into the corners, then seal over with satin varnish

Did see a good technique for getting small scratches - put in bag with a few small nails and tacks - shake it around...

Good luck!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!