Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Best way to weather a shoulder cape?

• 10 Replies

Aden Banto

• Out of my entire arsenal, fear is my best weapon.
Best way to weather a shoulder cape?
« on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Any method or suggestion for weathering a cape would be great!

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Best way to weather a shoulder cape?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:24 PM »
Tie it to the bumper of your car & go around the block a few times. 

No...really.  :)  :P

Aden Banto

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:36 PM »
"In later news today, a man was pulled over after dragging a piece of fabric attached to his car. The driver had this to say before being cuffed":

"I just wanted to weather my cape man!"

:laugh:

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:37 PM »
Deleted

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2016, 10:48 PM by mikemakesmovies » Logged

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:39 PM »
When you cut holes and cut the edge for a frayed look, do it with a serrated knife, you want to tear the fibers rather than making a clean cut. After youve made your tears, put the cape in the dryer a couple times, that will fray the edges. To dirty my cape, I mist various spray paint colors (browns, black, and grey). To mist, hold the can almost parallel to the cape and a couple feet away and when you spray, let the paint particles fall onto the cape. I also clean the grill with my cape to give it some grime and texture.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2015, 03:23 PM »
car wheel rims are a good source of carbon dust (space grime) i also soaked mine in a bucket of hot water with 4 table spoons of coffee and 4 teabags. ;)

Gel'ren Drask

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2015, 03:49 PM »
I chopped the edges with scissors and put a torch to it to simulate blaster hits and general scorching.

Gel'ren "Mercelangelo" Drask Firestorm Clan
E.M.T.S #40
B.E.A.R.D.S #23

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months EnviroOps
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:36 AM »
All good advice above. I have made many a custom cape, a few for members and UMs here, as well as canon Fett builds. I have found the best way to simulate the tattered look without looking "mechanical", cut, or deliberate is a waffle head hammer. Take your cape out onto your sidewalk or driveway. Get a waffle head hammer and start swinging. It'll take a few mins to really do a thorough job, but the results go a long way. Peel the cape off the ground after you've started and shake it vigorously. Take a look at it. Repeat for desired results.
This is my cape. Took me about 20 minutes.

It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

Aden Banto

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2015, 03:16 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help! I look forward to smashing my cape with a hammer  :) like the weathered affect it gave it.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2015, 05:10 PM »
If you want anything explosive... use a blowtorch. No really.

It even has an authentic burnt smell.

Just keep a bucket of water handy...

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 40+ hrs Charity Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Here's how I did mine.  Actualy its pretty much the same way that everybody is doing.

I used a knife with seration and I scraped the fabric to give it a worn down look, then made some cuts(more like tear), a few burnt holes, overspray of different colors(black, gray and white) and some coffee stain.

Here is the result.

Just keep a bucket of water handy...

I agree 100%.  My cape almost ended up in smoke ;D

Good luck.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!