Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

CamBedore's WIP (PIC HEAVY)

• 36 Replies
Re: CamBedore's WIP (PIC HEAVY)
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2016, 01:21 PM »
No progress recently unfortunately but I am thinking of trying to kick it into high gear to get it mostly presentable for this weekend to wear to Kelowna fan xpo. I figure if I get my chest plates cod piece and knee plates attached and painted it definitely won't be approvable but atleast presentable enough to wear to xpo. My biggest hurdle would be the gauntlets. I have ordered a set from a prop maker but in the meantime I need a cheap set for the weekend. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do that will be quick, easy and cheap? I was thinking plastic toilet brush holders or something.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2016, 02:09 PM »
Toilet brush holders, big plastic slurpee-type cups, PVC pipe can all be fashioned into simple gaunts. The first two are good for slide-ons, while the last one would likely end up being the most work. If you're just doing temporary you can also think about whether you want full wrap arounds or just covering the top of your forearm and using strapping to secure it, which seems like it would be easier in my head :)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2016, 11:15 PM »
Quick and easy gauntlets are a success! I found some cheap plastic cups at the dollar store that were absolutely perfect!

ALFRED! I"M THE WORLDS GREATEST... GAUNTLET!

If I can get paint on my plates I may actually be able to pull this off in time! As long as the weather cooperates!

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #33 on: Mar 16, 2016, 01:01 AM »
I bought some $1 toilet brush holders, and they got the job done! (still have them as OM, but are being replaced soon)

It can actually be beneficial to have your kit out before OM, helps you find issues with fit, strapping etc... Good luck! I look forward to seeing the temp kit.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #34 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:35 AM »
Any update on the backplate?    Did you go with just the cape for the con or did you get the back plate sorted?

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Jag

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:38 AM »
Soooooooo... almost done yet?  :P

looking great so far Vod

Elegant Mando Tea Society #76
« Reply #36 on: Mar 21, 2016, 08:29 PM »
Any update on the backplate?    Did you go with just the cape for the con or did you get the back plate sorted?

I am still working out the details on the backplate. looking for some D rings to be able to easily attach and detach the backplate on top since I will have a cauldron to hid the clips. For the Con I went with a robe style cape. (pictures below)

Soooooooo... almost done yet?  :P

looking great so far Vod

I feel like I'm getting close then I list off the things I still need to do and it seems like I'll never finish!! Thanks Vod!

SO!! I did manage to get my kit to a wearable state before Con on saturday and had a blast! I was in kit for a gruelling 10 hrs! And I learned a few things from my first outing in kit: 1) my neck seal rubs like crazy! I have a nice rash on my neck and chin so I will be getting myself a balaclava to hopefully counteract that. 2) my knee plates slide down relentlessly! Im thinking that once I have my shin plates attached it will help them not slide down so far but at the moment I'm stumped for how to stop it. 3) BEING IN KIT IS AWESOME! 4) my temporary gauntlets rub on my wrists quite badly and the front opening is too small to fit my hand through once i have gloves on so I have to put them on first then tuck my gloves into them, which isn't the worst but still a little annoying. 5) my gloves may be a bit small, there were numerous times they came untucked and exposed my skin so i will be looking for better gloves. AND FINALLY 6) BEING IN KIT IS AWESOME!

I was even able to enter the Beginners Craftsmen Category of the Cosplay Competition and to my surprise win First in my category! A very successful weekend to say the least and without further adieu here are the pictures!

PRE WEATHERING TEST FIT

POST WEATHERING TEST FIT

AT KELOWNA FAN XPO (Would have liked to get more pictures but was unable to access or operate my phone)
Mando Selfie!

On Set of Attack of the Clones!!  :P

Han Solo Better Watch His Back!!

Girlfriend who made it possible for me to be in kit without her I would have been SOL

Buckets OFF!

Weirdest Wookie I've Ever Seen.

Fancy Ribbon! How many republic credits can I get for it?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!