Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bes'bev - Time to pay the piper!

• 11 Replies

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Bes'bev - Time to pay the piper!
« on: Dec 10, 2015, 11:43 PM »
I wanted to make a unique melee weapon that had some solid roots in Mandalorian lore.  I read about the bes'bev and was intrigued.  When I started researching, I found there was no canon pictures for reference and as such, it was up to interpretation. 

Below is the "why" the bes'bev is the way it is.  This is the article I referenced for the bes'bev I built since it referenced the books I had read.

A bes'bev was a traditional Mandalorian flute. Forged from beskar iron, a bes'bev was a combination of musical instrument and melee weapon.

Roughly 24 inches long similar to a standard flute.  The mouth piece is raised to give it some texture as well as resemble the flute style.

At one end, a bes'bev was cut to a sharp tip, similar to a quill stylus, and this bladed end made the instrument ideal for stabbing and drawing blood. A bes'bev was also hard and sturdy, and could be hefted as a club should the need arise

I took a softer approach to the "quill" as this is a prop weapon and I didn't want to fall on it, proving that it is indeed good for bleeding people out!  :o  The narrow ridges behind the quill are somewhat like a hilt so you wouldn't just run someone through with it.  The wider ridges in the middle are to add some texture and effect if the weapon was used as a club.  The recessed groves by the mouth piece are to keep the weapon from slipping in the hand as well as the single raised section above those.

By the year 20 BBY, the Mandalorian soldier Wad'e Tay'haai had come into possession of an ancient bes'bev. Tay'haai's flute was colored the same dark violet as the plates of his Mandalorian armor, and he took to carrying the instrument on his belt

I didn't want to paint it black so I choose the primary accent color to my kit being the red.  I knew to make this really stand out weathering was an essential part of this build. 

And the strings you may ask...  In memory of those vode who are marching far away.  Green for Princess Leia and the other Verd'ika, Navy blue and gold for Remo, and purple for Daniel Fleetwood.  I took a light brown wash and dry brushed the ropes to give them the same feel as the bes'bev.  I wanted this to be a strong build to honor the memories of those who I carry with it.

I am going to add the chain slide lock attachment method to this and wear it on my belt as well.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts, questions, or general comments.   8)

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 07:55 AM by Zedrin Ho'dag » Logged

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
Re: Bes'bev - Time to pay the piper!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2015, 02:22 AM »
This is awesome. I was looking at melee weapons the other day and saw these on the wiki. This has now given me so many ideas. Thanks vod!

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Khull'Fal

• Original name HawkWolf
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2016, 06:38 AM »
This is some amazing work and one of the most imaginative ideas I've seen yet.
I'm going to dig out one of my Native American flutes and build my own Bes'bev.

MMCC #1337/ L.O.B #1/ Cabur Akaata #31/ G.O.M.O.L #13/ M.A.C.K Dady #23/ Oribru Akaata #30

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Updated the pic links from PhotoSuckit  :P  8)

« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2018, 11:02 AM by Zedrin Ho'dag » Logged

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Really like the look of this, vod!  Might have to steal this design. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ko'rizna Falco

• Weapons are a part of my religion
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2018, 09:00 PM »
So I was scrolling through the Melee weapon section and was blown away. I know this is old but your work is incredible and I think I might need to make one myself. Very inspiring!

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2018, 12:50 AM »
I like this.

Incidentally, I read your title, and promptly had the concept of "bes'bev bagpipes" go through my head.  Yeah, my mind is a strange place.

Hand me my thinking grenades.

Zedrin Ho'dag

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Vor'e ner vode!   :like:

Tusken Dan

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2018, 03:38 PM »
 :like: Cool man.

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Now can you play it...she asks, hopefully...   ;D  Looks great, by the way!

IG  -  @suzylamoureuxdrums

Zedrin Ho'dag

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2018, 09:17 PM »
It can be played.  I have very little musical talent and can get a few notes out of it

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2021, 05:57 PM »
I'm a newcomer and have a playable bes'bev on my current "wish list" for my kit concept.  This was a fantastic thread to get some references and inspiration - thank you!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!