Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Roe's Hurty things!

• 21 Replies

Roe Montar

• Wait, I'M the adult in this group?! We're doomed.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Roe's Hurty things!
« on: Dec 11, 2015, 11:11 PM »
So of course every good mandalorian is walking armory of hurt, tricks, and quick wits, and I want mine to be no exception. So far I have three different types of weapons that I am working on for my kit, and this is where I will show off the progress I make! So far I have Grenades, Blaster Pistol and an Electrostaff/batons.

So first lets look at my electrostaff/batons, as I took an already excellent idea and tutorial, and went completely nuts with it.

I like the idea of an electrostaff, but honestly I didnt want to carry it around, so I thought up a modification that better suited me. My idea is to make an electrostaff that can disconnect into two pieces, almost like stun batons. Those two batons which I can then come up with a mounting solution for my kit (im thinking my back plate when I get it)

So I started with this:

its the same materials from the electrostaff tutorial thread, except I cut the 1" PVC into two 1' lengths, and decided to forgo the metal flagpole (which I had already substituted for some conduit) and added the male and female PVC connectors. Since I didnt know how well my plans would work out, I decided to just focus on one baton at a time. Here it is all laid out in how I would put it together.

In the first picture, you can see I taped up one of the sliding parts with blue tape, and marked some lines on it. I knew early on I wanted these to be more than sticks that I waved around, and was aiming for an overall aesthetic similar to the electrostaffs that Grevious' magnaguards used

So I took that piece of PVC I marked up, and took my dremel to it, and cut some slots in it.

Which then leads to the baton looking like this.

Now came the fun part, and the part I didnt take as many pictures of, so I'll take pictures of now. I got some pink LEDs, wired up 6 of them (two strings of 3 in parallel) and used some hot glue to put them at the bottom of the part I cut the slots in, and put some leads on them. Then after drilling a hole in the shaft of the baton for a nice push button, and wiring it all up to a 9v battery, I have a little baton that lights up with pink slots.

Right now the whole staff has been primed and is drying before I go back and pull more inspiration and ideas from the tutorial thread.

Then theres my grenades and pistol.

Only downside was that it appears the top of one of the cryoban's went ker-snap in the shipping process on its way to me, but nothing some glue cant fix. Not much has progressed with them for now; I glued the cryoban grenade back together, and sanded/primed the frag grenades before I construct them fully. The pistol however, is the main reason I wanted to show this all off.

I dont know what to do with it!  :P

As you may have seen in my main WIP, its a replica of the revolver that Hellboy uses in the movies, the Good Samaritan. Given that its kinda recognizable, I need to modify it of course, but I kinda dont know what to do. I think im going to wrap the handle with something, partially to cover up the little icon ornamentation in the handle, and partially because I like the look of it. I will most likely give it a scope, which I quickly mocked up with stuff I had laying around in my garage and some blue tape...

but beyond that im stuck. I think I want to maybe extend the barrel a little somehow, maybe? I need some thoughts fellow creative masterminds!

Armor WIP |Cerar Clan Ruus'alor 2022 | Cerar Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc 2023-2024
OM #2730|Cabur Akaata #240|Traffic Cone #46|M.V.S. #122

Cakes

Re: Roe's Hurty things!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2015, 09:55 AM »
I like the idea for your staff. You could either do sleeves on your back or look for "broom wall clamps" like these

I would add some extra bits to the back to cover the hammer on the blaster. Maybe some sort of muzzle break to the end of the barrel and some sort of half tube that runs along the side?

Ijaat Kaysh

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Very cool!! I really like this!!

Roe Montar

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2015, 06:33 PM »
I like the idea for your staff. You could either do sleeves on your back or look for "broom wall clamps" like these

I would add some extra bits to the back to cover the hammer on the blaster. Maybe some sort of muzzle break to the end of the barrel and some sort of half tube that runs along the side?

Those broom clips are pretty much what I was thinking about using for the top of my backplate, that or possibly using some rare earth magnets. For the bottom I think im going to make little sleeve/shelf/pocket things for the bottom to sit in so that they will always sit in the same spot on my back.

As for the gun, I was putzing around in my garage trying to come up with something that I was happy with, but didnt come up with much. I might use the bottom half of a hasbro lightsaber that I cut off to make one of my trophies, and take the ridged grip from that, and put that on the blaster , possibly on the bottom of it. I had not even considered the hammer, so thanks for pointing that out too!

Roe Montar

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:29 PM »
Small little update here. Im about 95% done with my stun batons due to a miscalculation when ordering some acrylic... (Seriously, I was a dummy and measured circumference instead of diameter. DURR) Got some nice grip tape and wrapped the handles. Im considering redoing the connection process instead of a male/female screw design, but that'll take all of 10 minutes and $10 to do so im not concerned.

The bigger head scratcher is sill my pistol, but I did find a blaster that Im going to pull inspiration from hopefully.

I have come to find out this particular sidearm comes from the Stargate universe. But that counts right? THEY BOTH START WITH "STAR"!  :P But yeah. Since im just going to use it for inspiration, I dont forsee any issues. I just really like the way it uses the cylinder and kinda molds it into the barrel of the gun ;D

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2015, 03:16 PM »
Those stun batons are amazing! I may have to do a pole version of them in the future like the original inspiration :D

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Cakes

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2015, 07:53 PM »
ooh I like that pistol. I would blend the tip of that barrel in with the body to set it apart, and your scope would look sick on it!

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:31 AM »
For the gun longer barrel, Stock similar to an EE,Lots of sintra body panels like the FO sidearm. Any number of things can be done. If its a resin cast I'd personally bondo over the BPRD logo and continue the wood grain look and completely cover the cylinder with something. Keep it round but make it streamlined if that makes sense.

Roe Montar

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2015, 02:54 AM »
For the gun longer barrel, Stock similar to an EE,Lots of sintra body panels like the FO sidearm. Any number of things can be done. If its a resin cast I'd personally bondo over the BPRD logo and continue the wood grain look and completely cover the cylinder with something. Keep it round but make it streamlined if that makes sense.

Yep, that totally makes sense, and thats basically where the majority of my brainstorming is going; how to streamline the cylinder towards the front of the pistol. I have some ideas that I toyed around with as I stood around waiting for a coat of primer to dry on my bucket, so im going to toy with it some more tomorrow probably.

Roe Montar

« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Ok so its been far too long since i updated, and Ive done a bunch since!

First, my stun batons. I wasnt happy with the slits in the PVC that I had, mostly because they looked kind of ugly and didnt quite disperse the light as well as I wanted it to. I had planned to try putting acrylic tube over that portion, and in the end decided to remove the slotted PVC completely and just use the acrylic tube (which I sanded inside and out to make it opaque) and adjust the LEDs to better light it, and added end caps on the top.

[imghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/Wuju/Mobile%20Uploads/20160303_074110.jpg]http://[/img]

Im much more happy with them now :D

As for my blaster pistol, I only made progress on that this past weekend. I got tired of testing out things and not having them work out the way I wanted, so I broke down and brought in the help of my friend, who is both a Gunsmith and a Star Wars fan for some creative input, and he came through in a big way. We removed the cylinder and replaced it with a block of wood to give the gun a mostly flat edge on either side, and with the help of some resin (which he told me he's made entire gun stocks out of before) we added some little plastic details that I chopped off a nerf gun I had previously used with my Rubies Stormtrooper costume. Here it is before the resin dried and we sanded and shaped it...

and after, with the scope that he graciously gave me for use with the blaster. You can see some of the details I stole from the nerf gun here.

and here is a silly mock up I did with the barrel and stock from the afore mentioned butchered Nerf gun. Possible future as a carbine?  ;)

Darth Tenebrus

• brokar beskar'gam, kad'la ga'amur
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2016, 03:32 PM »
I really like the way your batons ended up! They look bad shebs!

MrMetalArm

• Chaos Marks Us All
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2016, 12:42 AM »
You're definitely going to want to mod the stock a little more on your blaster, as it still looks pretty nerfy. Other than that, really like it, looks awesome :D Although a part of my inner fanboy is having a heart attack cause Hellboy is one of my favorite movies, and you essentially cannibalized The Good Samaritan, but, all for the cause, right? :D

Has one awesome arm :D

Aliit orishya taldiin (Family is more than just blood)

Kayne Summikad WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110721.msg1539411#msg1539411
Kayne Idea Bucket: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110722.msg1536374#msg1536374

Roe Montar

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2016, 02:47 PM »
You're definitely going to want to mod the stock a little more on your blaster, as it still looks pretty nerfy. Other than that, really like it, looks awesome :D Although a part of my inner fanboy is having a heart attack cause Hellboy is one of my favorite movies, and you essentially cannibalized The Good Samaritan, but, all for the cause, right? :D

Oh im not actually using that stock. At all. Im keeping it a blaster pistol. As for cannibalizing... Yes I know. I poured one out for the homie before I did it. Though, it could have been worse; I could have chopped it all up. Instead I just grafted chunks of metal and plastic and fiberglass resin to it. Im sure Hellboy would appreciate the work and care that his sidearm has been given. :D

Roe Montar

« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2016, 07:53 PM »
Wiring them up really wasnt too bad. I only screwed it up like twice :P

Each baton has 9 purple LEDs, and I literally just took a square of cardboard for each, punched some tiny holes through the cardboard with a pin, and pushed the LED leads through, and put them in 3 groups of 3 LEDs + a resistor that came with the pack. Just twisted the + of one LED to to - of the next, and so on. then wired the 3 groups together off the battery leads.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2016, 04:11 PM »
That bit that snapped off your Cryoban grenade is actually just the filler spout for the mould that's supposed to be removed anyway. I know Jarek and his props as I've handled most of them as he's been assembling them or in the process of him making something for them. He's one of my Vode from my clan and is quite inspirational and intimidating at the same time! Lol your mods are looking really good Vod, keep at it!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Roe Montar

« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2016, 02:30 PM »
That bit that snapped off your Cryoban grenade is actually just the filler spout for the mould that's supposed to be removed anyway. I know Jarek and his props as I've handled most of them as he's been assembling them or in the process of him making something for them. He's one of my Vode from my clan and is quite inspirational and intimidating at the same time! Lol your mods are looking really good Vod, keep at it!

Yeah, I actually realized that a good week or so after I made the post when I looked them up for color schemes and saw that detail. Thanks for the encouragement though vod! As the weather here in the North East warms up, so too shall my progress. Im super excited about the work that I've done with the blaster so far and am getting close to having to come up with a color scheme for it.

EDIT:

In fact, since its sitting here at my desk, I shall show what's been done since the last picture!

So right off the bat, biggest changes are the flash hider, and that I wrapped the handle. The other side of the blaster looks the same as the previous pictures, so for once I decided to show the 'unfinished' side. My plan for this side is to (most importantly) cover the scope mount/screws, and put in a little toggle switch for "Varying power levels" which I have most of the rough parts for; just need to finagle them to where im happy with them. Im going to try and match the curve of what was the cylinder backstop with a piece cut off of a PVC elbow joint and probably put the switch mounted on that.

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2016, 02:40 PM by Roe Montar » Logged

Roe Montar

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 03:14 PM »
So I finished the blaster, put a little switch on the back of it so I can toggle it between "Stun(ning)" and Kill(er)" :D

Cutting out a spot for the toggle switch was probably the most annoying part of this step of progress, but I managed to get it done. It doesnt actually DO anything, but they dont know that :) For the round part that covers up the scope mount, I cut a piece off of a 2" PVC elbow and then just filled in the gaps around it, then of course did some nifty paint work and some brown 'rust' weathering.

Roe Montar

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 01:08 AM »
That is amazing! ;D

Thanks Vod! Im super happy with it too. Ive started fashioning a holster for it out of PVC as well, and found a possibly interesting use for the original bullets that it came with.

I havent decided yet if Im going to attach it to the flat side of the holster (which, against all reason ISNT the side that will be against my leg) or if I want to attach it to my belt.

Roe Montar

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 10:23 PM »
Cross post from my main WIP thread...

So last night I toyed around some more with scrap pieces of sintra that I had, and came up with a holster for my blaster.

I also came up with a use for the bullets that came with the Good Samaritan and made a little bullet holder in the style of a shotgun shell holder, which I then decided to put on the side of the holster since the holster was flat on that side.

Its currently glued on and the whole thing is drying in black paint overnight, so in the meantime I decided to finish off some of the other accessories I have for my kit, namely the grenades.

Two cryobans...

Two frags...

And a half thermal detonator

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!