Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 11 June

• 80 Replies

Tenebris

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Small Update 12/1
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Can't believe how much you have got done! It's looking awesome.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2016, 04:59 AM »
Ok, bit of an update. In the background I have been working on the vest and chest plates, not a great deal of "WIP" shots to show, as it will just end up being pictures of loose material, so here is the finished item.

It is measured, and fitted to me, it should allow enough room for a harness to fit underneath. I also need to give it a cold water bath to take out some of the puffiness in it.

Now with the chest plates all mounted

Since the photos the top of the collar plate was reshaped to be flatter, and remove the dip. I will not be trimming it (from side on) until the backplate and jetpack turn up so I can correctly match the vest seams.

Please note this is NOT my helmet, but it is the Eternal Armory's Deathwatch helmet that I have on order to show size against the plates.

I have a whole album of reference images I am working too, this should give an idea of the plate size and spacing I am trying to eumulate

Next jobs will be spraying all of the inside of the plates black so they can't be noticed, then prime and metallic coat all of the outsides of them

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:20 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2016, 04:14 PM »
Quality work man, I'm really digging this. Keep at it!

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Quality work man, I'm really digging this. Keep at it!

Many thanks :D

Kicked off the belt today with the leather worker so should be seeing him again later this month
Will be starting the flight suit later this month too
Hoping my stuff from America comes by the end of the month.

Hopefully by this time next month I would have made a few more steps towards something resembling progress :)

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:36 PM »
Very awesome. Can't wait to see more on this.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Tenebris

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:41 AM »
You are fast becoming a pro!

Did you try putting the vest in the bath?

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:16 PM »
You are fast becoming a pro!

Did you try putting the vest in the bath?

Not yet, I have both vests to do but the weather hasn't been great for knowing I can get them dry again without using a tumble dryer. I do not want to be doing that

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Ok, so a bit of an update on this.

I have had the belt commissioned.

Front:

Rear (left perspective):

Using references images like this it shows the girth belt to be a lighter colour/contrast when against a black flightsuit. It also shows the material above the ammo belt is shorter than the material below so I have had this replicated too.

I just require weathering on the ammo belt to lighten it slightly/add age. This will be done during the painting and weather of the whole kit.

I have also cold washed and ironed the vest a few times and this shows how much puffiness/bulk has been taken out

So in terms of layering for my kit I now have...

Harness layer

Black flightsuit with double sleeve requirement. I have made this to fit my dimensions. The upper portion is made from a cotton stretch material. This is to allow me some sort of movement to ensure my back stays healthy during a troop. This suit in its current state also allows me to sit. I need be able to sit to rest during a long troop otherwise I am prone to issues with my disc between L4 and L5 in my back. It has prolapsed before, or it can push against the nerves casuing me shooting leg pains.

The stretch material makes it appear the chest is wider than it is (and the arms longer than they really are).

With the Vest on it pulls all of the chest back in as the vest is made to measure on my torso dimensions. At this point however I have so many black layers the camera really struggles to find a happy setting. I am going to have to try and wait for a really sunny day (which in the UK isn't soon being winter) to get even more light in to help.

We have also lent out our sewing machine, once we get it back I plan to sew an extra square of material over the buttons to avoid them showing between the vest and girth.

Showing the belt side panel requirements

The belt does do up straight, I had a non-Mando helper to dress me and photograph me and I didnt notice this until afterwards

Side requirement met both sides

I had to position the plates myself in the mirror for these photos, so they are not aligned/positioned perfectly (you can see my previous photos for positioning)

I have some more minor adjustments to make to them to now account for the harness I am wearing, I will have to do this next time I meet up with some of my clan.

With the size of the girth belt (and the fact that I have short legs) I am having to remake the thigh plates. They have been shrunk to 85% original size

Guns in this image are a placeholder for size only

These have also been bent and I am now working on filling and sanding. Slowly chipping away at each job and hope to be getting the base coats of paint down soon

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:25 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 28/02
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2016, 01:05 PM »
awesome

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2016, 03:31 PM »
Plate positioning may not be perfect, but its darn near close. You've definitely got the layout down right, very clean likeness to the show.

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #25 on: Feb 29, 2016, 07:58 AM »
Looks awesome, vod!

The socks are a nice touch as well  :D

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #26 on: Feb 29, 2016, 10:15 AM »
this looks amazing. Well done.

Is the middle belt leather? I always thought it was metal. in a lot of pics they look to be metal belt boxes, painted with the same gun metal colour as the armour.

I'm also a tough concerned with that flight suit button that is showing between the vest and belt. is the belt just slipping down a bit in this pic? or will it always be like that?

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #27 on: Feb 29, 2016, 10:20 AM »
Normally this is the point where I grumble grumble about Death Watch, but this is the one exception! I'm very interested in that belt, I might have to consider making one as a replacement for my current rig. If you have any sort of build process, templates, or tutorials, I'd be very interested.

The greatest act of deception I ever pulled was convincing people I knew what I was doing.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #28 on: Feb 29, 2016, 01:16 PM »
this looks amazing. Well done.

Is the middle belt leather? I always thought it was metal. in a lot of pics they look to be metal belt boxes, painted with the same gun metal colour as the armour.

I have seen other Mercs be approved as a Canon DW with this belt (it is one of the reasons I had it made from the same place)
Once weathered it should lighten up. Having seen the belts with the hard boxes they don't tend to sit and move as they did in the animations. This way it has a small amount of flex to move with me as I walk and mimic that look from the animation.

Also under the BRLs for the Canon "Mauldalorian" it states: "Must be charcoal grey/black solid material (plastic, rubber, cured leather, metal, etc.)"

I'm also a tough concerned with that flight suit button that is showing between the vest and belt. is the belt just slipping down a bit in this pic? or will it always be like that?

Before approval those buttons will be covered. I explained in the text that we have lent out our family Sewing machine to a friend so I cannot make a piece to cover them over right now :( I appreciate it was a pretty big wall of text and images though :)

Normally this is the point where I grumble grumble about Death Watch, but this is the one exception! I'm very interested in that belt, I might have to consider making one as a replacement for my current rig. If you have any sort of build process, templates, or tutorials, I'd be very interested.

Oooo what is it you normally grumble about?
I commissioned this to be made. Try contacting a local leather worker about it and I am sure they could help

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #29 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:05 PM »
Oooo what is it you normally grumble about?

My character's True Mandalorian. They were at war with the Death Watch before the Clone Wars, so...ya.  :laugh:

The greatest act of deception I ever pulled was convincing people I knew what I was doing.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!