Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 11 June

• 80 Replies

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
Howdy All,

One kit just isn't enough so it is now my intention to build a canon costume.

One of the reasons I settled on this variant is I have the intention to clear with MMCC and 501/UKG as the Canon Mando, then with RL (as I sport a bit of a beard in real life) as Obi-Wan as it is the version he steals once he lands on Mandalore.

I put an order in to EA for various parts at the beginning of December including:
Helmet
Back Plate
Jetpack
Gauntlets with Comms link
Boot Plates

I should be the first person to have a DW 3.0 Helmet. It will apparently be the 2.0 but nicer/cleaner.

I already bought myself the Palladium Pampa Hi (in black canvas) required for this build.

Rather than making Toe armor I have squared off the existing rubber at the front of the shoe

The side symbols were also removed.

Both these areas left horrible glue marks/straining/residue. I coloured them in with black permanent marker.... which the following day in sunlight turned them into shiney purple marks. This will not do.

I took the Dremel to them to rid the ridges/diamonds/manufacturers marks

I also used the sander to take back all of the sharpie and glue marks and got back to canvas.... but it also took the dye off so I was left with white boots in places.
I used some black fabric paint and watered it down slightly to use in a misting bottle. The shoes got a covering of this and are being left to dry overnight. I will then heat them up with a heatgun to set the paint tomorrow. The glue marks are now much less noticible. They will never disappear but they are hopefully going to be better now and once the boots are dry I shall photograph.

Due to having back problems (prone to prolapsed disc between L4 and L5) I am taking precautions knowing that I will be having a jetpack.
I got myself a 3 point harness to go underneath everything with a nice thick padded waist in an effort to distribute the load across my torso.

When the Jetpack is bolted to the backplate I will have straps that feed through reinforced holes in vest and flightsuit to additional straps that I will attach to the harness. This will allow me to get it tight to my back (meeting the animation style appearance requirement) and hopefully be the least risky method of causing my back problems.

I also intentionally got this model as it has D rings on the waist. I will be using these to attach drop leg holsters too that will sit underneath my flightsuit. This will allow magnetic thigh holsters so no strapping as per requirements :) More on this when I get round to it

Todays effort also produced these plates. Each pile is two plates.

They have only had a light sanding to take the sharp edges off, but being careful not too much as being an animation they will be squarer than normal armor.

I will still have to create Chest Plates, Cod Plate and 2x Thigh Plate Holsters to template and cut.

I have about 16 meters of material that has been delivered (a mix of drill cotton and drill stretch cotton) all in black. This will be used to custom make the flightsuit and vest to ensure they fit me.

The belt will be created by a leatherworker. I will need to get the flightsuit and vest done so that he can measure me.
I am opting for this approach as I have seen it done before, it looks very effective and it should allow me to still move about/bend over.

The gloves I purchased I had hoped I could remove the manufacturer logos from... but they seem to be heatsealed on.
All my attemtps at heating and acetone were all met with a mess of plastic leaving an exact glue mark in its place of the original symbol anyway.

I have found these which should be plain enough and tight enough to meet the required CRL/BRL for this build

For those of you also interested I have an Obi Ep3 lightsaber being built for me. The manufacturer did a run of 25 empty hilts and I managed to get the last one. All machined parts. The neck actually is machined from copper and bronze (I think, I am no metal expert). When I receive this it will be with electronics and blade ready to go and should have a nice weight/finish to it.

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:02 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged
Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Lieutenant
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2015, 04:36 AM »
You have a new WIP and never told me  :'(

looks like you have much in hand already, can't wait to see it unfold  ;)

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:53 AM »
This is gonna be so friggin cool!!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2015, 10:41 AM »
I'd like this even just for the title of the post ^^
This is going to be awesome

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2015, 03:27 PM »
The boots have now dried. Watered down black fabric paint seems to have done the trick. I think these marks will now be barely noticeable between the over foot plate, heel plate and the flight suit itself

A few hours of work at my desk working from templates, cutting, taping, reassembling and jigging about and I now have these.

I STRONGLY recommend those who are making their first armor to transfer all of the templates they make and ultimately use for their kit to thick cardboard. If a plate ever needs to be reproduced you have a hard wearing template which will save future time :)

The holster part was modified to add an extra 5mm to each of the fold lines to account for the thickness of the material. I also intend to fold the bottom so that it folds up between the side pieces. This should mean the least amount of filler required to seal them and finish them off.

For the cod plate the best idea I can come up with is fold the tabs, fibreglass the inside to create a structure to then fill and smooth the gaps that are created on the outside.

These used up the last of my Foamex so now no more armor progress until after the new year when the shops reopen :(

Looks like tomorrow shall be the start of the soft parts

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:03 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:33 AM »
I can't praise having a full harness for a jetpack enough. Mine is done in a similar fashion and while I don't wear my pack often, when I do I am so glad a large part of the weight is taken by the strapping from the waist.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Off to a fying start. Commenting for updates.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:01 AM »
Right, I apologise now as this is going to be a monster update that I shall be trying to break down into sections to follow it easier :)

I have been busy busy busy over the past week or so.

Soft Parts

So I ordered a bit more material than I realised....

However this produced one neck seal:

The start to my custom fit double-sleeved flight suit. Only the panels of this were cut as we lacked an Overlocker machine to be able to continue.
Certain panels were cut from Black Cotton Drill. Other panels (mainly upper half due to the vest covering) were cut from Black Cotton Stretch Drill. This should allow for me to move about and be able to stretch to help my back not being fatigued. The suit will be tailored to me whilst also allowing me as a minimum to sit such that I can rest.

The vest is 95% complete. It is in heavy weight black cotton drill, double skinned and padded to give it some thickness. It also meets the Death Watch shoulder requirement of appearing like wings such that they appear to extend the silhouette of the wearer. I still need to insert the Zip into the rear (the one I bought is the length of the vest which is too risky to do) and to hand stitch the top of the shoulder seem from the inside. Being animated Death Watch I should not be showing a top stitch across the top. I shall have to learn to hand sew now.

It has been tailored to me as it is based on my existing vest torso size with modified shoulders for DW requirements.

I shall also be putting on all of the Velcro later this week when I complete the other sewing parts.

A reinforced 2 inch gap has been created into the shoulder seem. This allows for a 1.5" parachute clip to cleanly pass. There will be another like this in the flight suit. This will allow for the (black) nylon strapping from the back plate/jetpack to pass through a secure part of the soft parts to the harness I shall be wearing.

I also received the gloves which fit. They are a tight black leather with no armour and minimum additional panels. The wrist logo should be covered by the gauntlets as the end of the leather is where my wrist starts so the gauntlets should be coming up to this point.

Weapons

I have obtained a pair of Westar-35 Style pistols as per the Death Watch requirement.

The top gun is my existing Westar-35 that I had become accustomed too. The slight size difference is odd to say the least

They do however better match the size requirement/limitation (depending on how you see it) of the Thigh Holster. More photos of this in a later section.

Whilst not part of the MMCC requirements (as I am also building toward 501 and Rebel Legion) I also have been sent photos of my finished lightsaber build that I should receive in the next week or so (Builder is awaiting on the charger before shipping it)

Armor
As this is a mammoth section I have decided to skip over a number of the photos I took during building and will mainly concentrate on the "finished" pieces.
Much cutting of further plates later...

I was left with an unbent stack of Foamex

An evening of heat shaping later and I had some things

The holsters have been closed off by folding it into itself, trimming and final bending such that the bottom sits flush with the bottom of the side plates. Once assembled these corners will be sanded, filled and smoothed and repeated until it looks like one piece

Showing the fit with the pistols

So the thigh plates have been heat shaped to me, and assembled. The Pistols are also able to sit in the holsters lining up with holster drop cut and leaving both prongs in place. These are now able to be filled, sanded and smoothed to appear as one piece.

The hand armour is the required tombstone shape. The back of the plate stops just short of the bottom of the leather, such that there will be a small gap between it and the gauntlet. The curve also wraps around/over my knuckles as per the images I have been working to

As you could guess from the earlier chalk marks on my vest my chest plates were cut, shaped and then trimmed to fit me. It seems that I either do not have a symmetrical chest or I didn’t make my template symmetrical as one side of the collar had to be trimmed almost twice the amount of the other, but my neck fits the gap perfectly. Once the vest is complete I shall attach these for photos. However the neck and outer plates fill across my chest finishing approx. a thumbs width from the shoulder seem. The vest spacing downward then has the ab plate finishing a thumbs width from the bottom of the vest. Once I can wear the vest without needing clamps to hold it shut I shall take photos and post them with the direct visual comparisons from my reference images.

Lower body plate shaping

The cod plate also has a constant curve right the way across. This now needs to be fibre glassed from behind to reinforce the bottom. It will then be subject to much filling, sanding and smoothing

Rear heel plates

I do not have the boots to direct have for photographs but the outer treads have been further modified to better fit the Death Watch visual appearance. I am also trying (and currently failing) on building up the boot armour into the correct shape without it involving far more filler than I am willing to use.

I shall post further updates once they occur.

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:16 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 10/1
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:51 AM »
Wow, can't say there hasn't been progress  ;D

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Commenting so I can see how this turns out.

Fantastic progress and great documentation!  Keep going!

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:20 AM »
Personally, I'm a fan of any costume that, with small tweaks, is covered under the Big Three clubs.  :laugh:

Looking good, vod!  Keep it up!

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Great work so far ner'vod!   8)

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Small update, spent last few evenings learning how to fill and smooth and resulted in this.
All of the seams and gaps/holes have now been filled so it gives the impression that it is all one piece. Once painted they should look as they do in the animations.

There is a tiny amount of pitting, but at this point once they are painted that will all disappear.

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:17 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Small Update 12/1
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2016, 03:15 PM »
This is looking great! Definitely following your progress ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Tenebris

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Can't believe how much you have got done! It's looking awesome.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2016, 04:59 AM »
Ok, bit of an update. In the background I have been working on the vest and chest plates, not a great deal of "WIP" shots to show, as it will just end up being pictures of loose material, so here is the finished item.

It is measured, and fitted to me, it should allow enough room for a harness to fit underneath. I also need to give it a cold water bath to take out some of the puffiness in it.

Now with the chest plates all mounted

Since the photos the top of the collar plate was reshaped to be flatter, and remove the dip. I will not be trimming it (from side on) until the backplate and jetpack turn up so I can correctly match the vest seams.

Please note this is NOT my helmet, but it is the Eternal Armory's Deathwatch helmet that I have on order to show size against the plates.

I have a whole album of reference images I am working too, this should give an idea of the plate size and spacing I am trying to eumulate

Next jobs will be spraying all of the inside of the plates black so they can't be noticed, then prime and metallic coat all of the outsides of them

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:20 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2016, 04:14 PM »
Quality work man, I'm really digging this. Keep at it!

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Quality work man, I'm really digging this. Keep at it!

Many thanks :D

Kicked off the belt today with the leather worker so should be seeing him again later this month
Will be starting the flight suit later this month too
Hoping my stuff from America comes by the end of the month.

Hopefully by this time next month I would have made a few more steps towards something resembling progress :)

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:36 PM »
Very awesome. Can't wait to see more on this.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Tenebris

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:41 AM »
You are fast becoming a pro!

Did you try putting the vest in the bath?

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:16 PM »
You are fast becoming a pro!

Did you try putting the vest in the bath?

Not yet, I have both vests to do but the weather hasn't been great for knowing I can get them dry again without using a tumble dryer. I do not want to be doing that

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Ok, so a bit of an update on this.

I have had the belt commissioned.

Front:

Rear (left perspective):

Using references images like this it shows the girth belt to be a lighter colour/contrast when against a black flightsuit. It also shows the material above the ammo belt is shorter than the material below so I have had this replicated too.

I just require weathering on the ammo belt to lighten it slightly/add age. This will be done during the painting and weather of the whole kit.

I have also cold washed and ironed the vest a few times and this shows how much puffiness/bulk has been taken out

So in terms of layering for my kit I now have...

Harness layer

Black flightsuit with double sleeve requirement. I have made this to fit my dimensions. The upper portion is made from a cotton stretch material. This is to allow me some sort of movement to ensure my back stays healthy during a troop. This suit in its current state also allows me to sit. I need be able to sit to rest during a long troop otherwise I am prone to issues with my disc between L4 and L5 in my back. It has prolapsed before, or it can push against the nerves casuing me shooting leg pains.

The stretch material makes it appear the chest is wider than it is (and the arms longer than they really are).

With the Vest on it pulls all of the chest back in as the vest is made to measure on my torso dimensions. At this point however I have so many black layers the camera really struggles to find a happy setting. I am going to have to try and wait for a really sunny day (which in the UK isn't soon being winter) to get even more light in to help.

We have also lent out our sewing machine, once we get it back I plan to sew an extra square of material over the buttons to avoid them showing between the vest and girth.

Showing the belt side panel requirements

The belt does do up straight, I had a non-Mando helper to dress me and photograph me and I didnt notice this until afterwards

Side requirement met both sides

I had to position the plates myself in the mirror for these photos, so they are not aligned/positioned perfectly (you can see my previous photos for positioning)

I have some more minor adjustments to make to them to now account for the harness I am wearing, I will have to do this next time I meet up with some of my clan.

With the size of the girth belt (and the fact that I have short legs) I am having to remake the thigh plates. They have been shrunk to 85% original size

Guns in this image are a placeholder for size only

These have also been bent and I am now working on filling and sanding. Slowly chipping away at each job and hope to be getting the base coats of paint down soon

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:25 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 28/02
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2016, 01:05 PM »
awesome

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 28/02
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2016, 03:31 PM »
Plate positioning may not be perfect, but its darn near close. You've definitely got the layout down right, very clean likeness to the show.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!