Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 11 June

• 80 Replies

Ashen Kelborn

• This account is no longer used
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 14/03
« Reply #45 on: Mar 17, 2016, 10:46 AM »
Rustoleum Sail Blue is what I used for the main blue on my Airborne and the Mrs' Bo.

Any idea what that is in paints in uk or a swatch to match?

This is a dead account, Please ask your Command team for assistance unless you want to look me up on Facebook under my mando name.

LordMitchell

• "Dodge these!" *fires rocket* ~Boba Fett
« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Well this is a very interesting thread! How is it possible i only see this now?
Definetly follow this. :D

Michiel

« Reply #47 on: Mar 17, 2016, 02:44 PM »
Any idea what that is in paints in uk or a swatch to match?

From what I've read, it's possible to get Rustoleum in the UK now.  Here is the UPC and SKU information:

7724830 Sail Blue 020066772482

I did not find a color code, but I will tell you it is darker than my 501st Clone (Brilliant Blue) and lighter than a Royal Blue:

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/protective-enamel-spray/

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #48 on: Mar 17, 2016, 03:27 PM »
OK,

So using this image I found on the internet for the colour

I can extract from it the colour code in HTML as 2E6EAE
This then converted into RAL codes would be approx "RAL 5023 Distant Blue"
I think due to this being a basecoat colour this will work out approximately correct. It is not as super critical it is 100% right (like eqdizzle would need) as I would rather get the same paint supply as the red's etc to minimise mixing brand issues.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #49 on: Mar 17, 2016, 03:48 PM »
OK,

So using this image I found on the internet for the colour

I can extract from it the colour code in HTML as 2E6EAE
This then converted into RAL codes would be approx "RAL 5023 Distant Blue"
I think due to this being a basecoat colour this will work out approximately correct. It is not as super critical it is 100% right (like eqdizzle would need) as I would rather get the same paint supply as the red's etc to minimise mixing brand issues.

I agree with you on not needing it to be 100% correct.  In fact, our PT Kenobi here grabbed my old bucket and we'll be doing the conversion soon..!

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #50 on: Mar 17, 2016, 03:58 PM »
I agree with you on not needing it to be 100% correct.  In fact, our PT Kenobi here grabbed my old bucket and we'll be doing the conversion soon..!

Oooooo I hope this will be on the boards :)

« Reply #51 on: Mar 17, 2016, 04:16 PM »
This is what we'll be working with:

Looking at a S2 Grunt, my Airborne, the Mrs' Bo, and the OB1.  Should be a pretty killer squad!!

Tenebris

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #52 on: Mar 17, 2016, 04:21 PM »
My blue might be ok as a base layer......worth a test piece as you only need a little bit on the visor.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #53 on: Apr 20, 2016, 02:45 PM »
Holy thread revival Batman!

This is slowly being worked on in the background. Between waiting on parts, being ill and doing upgrades to my first kit this one went on the back burner, but I am attempting to get back around to it now.

So all of the lower plates made from Foamex have all been painted a Matt black now. Then naturally weathered using wire wool. I referenced the screencaps I have taken from the episode and tried to think about how the damage was applied, what direction the plates would be moving to make the contact and where the raised sections were.

From this picture I picked out the main damage to replicate was the "V" that goes around the cod, as well as the circular weathering pattern on the front.

From these two images I picked out the knees and shins. I could see that one knee had sweeping damage across it, whilst the other had damage picked out around the corners and some of the edges. Where they would naturally catch on something on the sides, collide on each other on the inside and knock into the shin plates below them.

With the shin plates I could see the tops were weathered heavier than the bottoms, I imagined from kneeling, catching a shin climbing up and down onto things etc. Once again the bottoms where they would catch on the (future) boot plates.

So from this image it can be seen the thigh plates aren't that heavily weathered. They are relatively black, no where near as weathered as the cod. Combined with the previous two reference pictures there is just some damage to pick out on a few corners, then on the holsters themselves where they stick out. I also imagined there would be some wear where the guns are holstered and unholstered.

I also took the same approach for the hand plates. For the rear boot plates I applied the same logic and weathered them to be in keeping with the rest as it was difficult to see any clear images of them.

All of these plates will need a light black wash to add some grime and take off some of the shine, this will be done after everything else has been painted so it can all be black washed together to give the desired effect.

I also now have a helmet :D

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:29 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 20/04
« Reply #54 on: Apr 20, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Grats on the helmet ner'vod!  The weathering on those plates is fantastic.  Based on the screenshots, I'd say you nailed them very accurately.  :D

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #55 on: Apr 20, 2016, 04:25 PM »
amazing.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #56 on: Apr 20, 2016, 05:05 PM »
Seems you did a real good job of matching the weathering to the screen shots, nice work!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #57 on: Apr 20, 2016, 05:10 PM »
You continue to impress. Superb work.

The greatest act of deception I ever pulled was convincing people I knew what I was doing.

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!