Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 11 June

• 80 Replies

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 20/04
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2016, 07:12 AM »
So last weekend I spent some time working through some more parts:

Helmet visor and keyslots cut out

Pro tip: It is worth notching these out, they make visor install a lot easier!

So with the visor installed :)

Top Boot plates and back plate have been trimmed up. I may need to split and thin them to suit my frame. This cannot be done now without help (as I cant see my own back to judge against reference photos)

This is as far as I have gotten with the jetpack (well slightly further but didnt get a final photo)

I took material out of the tubes here to make the whole structure lighter (and you can feel the difference)

I have also attached the center pipe for the centre rocket, but it needs to be trimmed on one side or the rocket sits off center.

Updates will be a bit slower now as I have some troops on a few weekends this month. Hoping to have it ready for Celebration but even that will be very tight

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:31 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 01/05
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2016, 03:48 PM »
Looking good man!

That is a great tip on the visor installation, I've never thought of that one.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Someone must be an engineer  8) would've never thought of that weight saver!

The greatest act of deception I ever pulled was convincing people I knew what I was doing.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2016, 09:33 AM »
*Massive Picture Dump Update incomming*

A very busy build day yesterday and during the evenings this week has led me to this point.

All I can say is that until it got to the point of painting to pictures I had horrifically underestimated how weathered, damaged and beat up Kenobi's disguise armor is. The more reference photos I looked at the more damage I found. It was also a surreal weathering experience. Having to use brush strokes to mimic the brushstrokes the animators used in the show. Anyway, photo time

Helmet
Seeing as this is everyone's favorite part let's just start here.

Reference photo's worked from:

Actual helmet:

After much more analysis of the reference photos it was decided that there is a Jango under a Death Watch :P

Jump ahead a few steps and the black has been applied and tatoo's cut out. I swear this patterning took me 2.5 hours and many templates thrown away to get corrct!

4 head tattoo's of symetrical design with the small central triangle.
The outer tattoo extends and finishes in line with the end of the eye slot. (See ref pic 3)
The inner tattoo extends and finishes in line with the earcap. (See ref pic 3)
The "Flash" shaped cheek tattoo's
The blue weathering showing through the front Mandables, earcaps and around the rim

Daytime photos:

Jetpack

Rockets are now attached.

Thrusters set at an outward angle as per reference photos

There will be an internal wooden frame made so that it can be strapped through to my harness securely, as well as giving the back piece something to bolt down onto. The jetpack will then be bolted through onto the backplate so it is all one unit. This will achieve the "high sitting" jetpack as per the animations

Due to this I am opting for a flat backed closure

Backplate

A large wedge of material has been cut from the center of the plate. This has left the top width approximately the same to ensure the shoulder tabs still line up with the collar. It does now mean the bottom of the backplate is more in proportion to me and the jetpack to keep in ratio with the animation.

The shoulders were also darted and rolled to close the gap. Once this is sanded and complete some black foam will be used to sit it onto me comfortably and close any remaining gap. This needs to be done as in the animations the backplate changes dimensions (as well as bending in non-physics agreed shapes) to always keep the flat back for the jetback and magically fill space to the characters back which we cannot replicate in the real world.

Chest Plates

Reference Photos:

Chest plates

Left Shoulder

Right Shoulder

Actual Plates: (Note: Photos have been taken in direct sunlight making colours appear lighter, in contrast to reference photos are from indoor scene making armor darker)

The plates were placed on the vest without wearing it just to display the plates together. This is not the finalised spacing.

The plates were metallic, grey, weathering, red, weathering, black spray, weathering. In doing so the various levels and colours of weathering have been picked out.
As can be seen the light spots have been picked out on the corners of armor, the ab plate has the matching red streak marks, the general damage markings and the "dusting" of dirt and grime across the rest keeping the aesthetic.

Lower Body Plates

In the painting of the rest of the kit and further analysis of the lower leg plates it was deemed that painting them black is inaccurate.
The colours change through the episode (which is annoying) but when its still positions (opposed to action sequences) the plates always seem lighter and clearer.
With this in mind the plates were repainted metallic, Grey, weathering, black spray, weathering.

It is agreed that the thigh plates are indeed black. They are always very dark and do not change. In contrast to this though the Cod and Knees and shins are always much lighter in contrast. Similar in fact to the Ab plate and if we accept that the Ab plate in indeed a Grey then so much the lower plates (with appropriate weathering and grime).

Reference Photos:

Actual Photos:

Now to carry on with the never ending list of remaining parts...

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:38 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 15 May
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2016, 10:12 AM »
Terrific work and a super reference resource for this kit!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Only thing I'd suggest is darkening down the blue a bit more, doesn't seem as bright to me, but maybe that's just my eyes. Your eye for detail though...can I borrow those eyes sometime?  :P

The greatest act of deception I ever pulled was convincing people I knew what I was doing.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2016, 04:09 PM »
Update time

Backplate

Reference photos:

Weathering patterns of top and side

Right shoulder corner

Left shoulder and side

Actual photos

So many loops of painting, sanding, filling, painting, sanding, etc etc got me to this point with the backplate

Once painted this is greatly improved over photos I am not showing :p

So it was metallic coat, weathering, Grey coat, more tape and weathering

It looks far too clean... I don't like it

Then this is weathered, overspray with black and more weathering

Finished with a clearcoat. This knocks the black back slightly and brightens the red to match the rest of the armor

Jetpack

What was a fair few hours in the shed a solid plate of metal was turned into a support frame. This has been attached each side with three screws into the pipe.
The straps can then take the weight and allow me to hang the jetpack securely.
The 4 central bolts pass through the backing and (once the holes are drilled) will pass through the backplate to secure them together.
The straps will also be cut to pass through the backplate to then connect onto my harness under the armor.

These nuts are purely placeholders. I plan on using the large washers plus Nyloc's for the final fit.

I have got primer, metallic and clearcoat so far

More may get painted tomorrow, but with a weekend con coming up I may revert to packing and organising my existing costume.

« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2017, 01:41 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Senpai

• OM 1714
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Re: Akii'su - Death Watch Super Commando Kenobi - Update 24 May
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2016, 04:50 PM »
This looks awesome. I like the idea about the harness.
Could you please provide infor on where you got that harness and how you will strap in the back to it  :D

Thanks, keep up the good work.

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2016, 05:08 PM »
Excellent work so far ner'vod!  I think you've done a great job matching up to the reference photos.  :D

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2016, 10:48 PM »
Sharp work man! That jetpack looks complicated!

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2016, 02:08 AM »
Fantastic stuff - really impressive work, sir!

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2016, 02:24 AM »
Ambitious project coming together well, amazing attention to detail!!

Kyri

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #74 on: Jun 03, 2016, 04:14 PM »
Very impressive work you have done here, genius kit!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!