Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet Electronics

• 11 Replies

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Helmet Electronics
« on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Finally got all of my electronics in for my helmet!  Can't wait to start wiring everything up.  I'm shooting for a Mandalore-ish install.

Here's a list of what I have so far:

Voice Amp System:
(1) Adafruit 20W Stereo Class D Amp: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1752
(1) Adafruit Stereo Enclosed Speaker Set 3W 4ohm: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1669
(1) Adafruit Electret Powered Microphone: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1063
(1) Radioshack SPST Mini Slide Switch: Catalog # 2750032
(1) 9v battery cable
Various wires, tools, & altoid tins.

Velleman Super Stereo Kit

(1) Velleman MK136 Super Stereo Ear Kit:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NVVTU2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
(1) Set of speakers from some old telephone receivers: Ghetto free  :)

I also have a dual squirrel cage fan set up that I wired from parts I scavenged.  The plan is to have the voice amp on one side with a battery & fan, with the Velleman kit, battery & fan on the other side.

I'll try and get some updates posted soon!!

Re: Helmet Electronics
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:10 PM »
As I was recently converted in to an electronics geek, I am greatly looking forward to more on this :)

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2015, 04:21 AM »
Commenting to follow as this is on my longer list of things to complete

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2015, 05:17 AM »
Ditto!  Looking forward to seeing how this goes!  (Not used a soldering iron in years, but really tempted...)  :)

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:21 AM »
Excelsior!!  The voice amp works!  I'll need to lengthen some wires and tidy everything up before I put the board in the tin box, but overall, I'm super happy.  The output on the speakers is perfect.  There's a fine balancing act between adjusting the volume on the board, and the gain on the powered mic.  But I think it will work great.  I still need to work out exactly how I want to install everything in the helmet, but I have plenty of room so it shouldn't be a problem.

Here's the voice amp, in all it's messy glory!  I'll definitely post pics later once everything is installed.  I'll even do a short video.

I still need to work on the Velleman kit.  It's a completely disassembled kit, so it'll be much more involved, but it doesn't look that difficult.  They sell one that's assembled, but I love DIY stuff like this, so I opted for the cheaper kit.  :)

*** Also, if you plan on doing any of this, I can't recommend this little jewel enough.  It's amazing!!

Adafruit Helping Hand: https://www.adafruit.com/products/291

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:26 AM »
I'll definitely be watching this one as I have plans for something similar.

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:21 AM »
watching this.

Ciryc Vhipir

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Hope to see updates soon, as I too would like to install something. I like the idea of a voice changer.

« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2016, 10:20 AM »
Does your mic pull power from the 9v battery or doesn't have it's own button cell battery?

Also what is this for?
Velleman Super Stereo Kit

(1) Velleman MK136 Super Stereo Ear Kit:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NVVTU2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
(1) Set of speakers from some old telephone receivers: Ghetto free  :)

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2016, 10:25 AM by Dav_Ravenstar » Logged
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2016, 11:12 AM »
Hi everyone...for my case I STRONGLY recommend those who are making their first armor to transfer all of the templates they make and ultimately use for their kit to thick cardboard. If a plate ever needs to be reproduced you have a hard wearing template which will save future time.
The holster part was modified to add an extra 5mm to each of the fold lines to account for the thickness of the material. I also intend to fold the bottom so that it folds up between the side pieces.

printed circuits assembly

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2017, 01:07 PM by AbbyGelber » Logged

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

• A mando 4 life, but I Utinni.
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:51 PM »
There are some good (cheap but effective) motorcycle helmet speakers on the various online markets (Amazon / eBay). Flat profile, volume control and no need for an inline power source. Plugs right into the super ear board with the 3.5mm Jack.

since they have such a low (flat) profile, I am able to mount mine to the inside of the helmet. Instead of wrestling my bucket on with earbuds/headphones on, which is never easy. The mounted speakers also cancel out the fan noise nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121634479040?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Den Barren

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2016, 12:07 AM »
I'm a totally electronics geek. I shall be following this with growing interest!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!