Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor Vest Concept Question

• 15 Replies

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
Armor Vest Concept Question
« on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:03 PM »
So I have already started designing my next Mandalorian project (probably a couple of years down the road, but I'm going to start planning now).

My first kit (which I still need to repair and then submit to become official) has the armor vest pull over my head and zipper up along the sides, under my arms, with a flap hiding the zippers. My friend Jacob (who helped me with my first one and is an official Merc) has a vest that zips up his back. Now I was thinking of a different design for my new kit.

I've submitted the following question to the Application Team, but I was also looking for input from all you guys too:

So I am thinking of a concept for the armor vest that I haven't seen before and wanted to ask about it before even attempting it because I would hate to put in a ton of work and have it rejected.

The easiest way I can describe it would be to design it like a jacket. All the plates would be attached, but it would be able to zipper up the front with a flat to hide said zipper.

By the way, here is the first concept drawings I did for this:

Thanks in advance for your input  ;D

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Armor Vest Concept Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2016, 03:17 PM »
I really wish there were some thoughts on this, because I'm kind of curious, myself...  An armor vest like this would be so much easier to equip by yourself.

That said, with the splits in the plates I find it doubtful that it would be approved.  All the plates would have to be VERY carefully placed...

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2016, 04:32 PM »
You know what you COULD do that would acheive a similar result and not compromise the look of the armor is to have an attachment point on one of your flanks and the corresponding shoulder. Then it's still basically a jacket that you can leave your armor on and put on and take off yourself.

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:04 AM »
THAT, sir, is an awesome idea!  I really like that.  I may have to try it out myself.

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:33 AM »
My vest is a button-up motorcycle vest with the armor attached to a flap that is sewn on permanently on one side and vecros closed on the other side.  I can put it on by myself, button it up and close the flap with no problem.  Think of the flap on the Rocketeer's jacket.  Only bigger.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:19 PM »
You know what you COULD do that would acheive a similar result and not compromise the look of the armor is to have an attachment point on one of your flanks and the corresponding shoulder. Then it's still basically a jacket that you can leave your armor on and put on and take off yourself.

My current vest has the zippers below both arms and I pull my head through the hole, but I was looking for something more comfortable and easier to put on. That is a cool idea.

My vest is a button-up motorcycle vest with the armor attached to a flap that is sewn on permanently on one side and vecros closed on the other side.  I can put it on by myself, button it up and close the flap with no problem.  Think of the flap on the Rocketeer's jacket.  Only bigger.

I like that idea. Really cool (and I love the Rocketeer)! I may have to draw out some ideas.

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:41 PM »
Here's a link to the rudimentary tutorial I made.  I hope it helps.

www.mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=82034.0

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:35 AM »
Here's a link to the rudimentary tutorial I made.  I hope it helps.

www.mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=82034.0

Thanks. Will do.

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:00 PM »

That is a good idea. So all the armor is on a single panel of fabric, and fastens just forward of your shoulder seam. A more exaggerated form of this coat:

As long as plate spacing and centering is done right and the fastener is StarWarsian, I don't see why it wouldn't be accepted. But I'm no expert. The idea is very cool.

Nishi Ja'tejag

Riye cuyir te tauira be a ori'jate jag.  Ni shi jate jag.  Pirusti, Ni cuy' an staabi!

Armour Planning WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78236.0

Soft Parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=77697.0

WIP Photo Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronsneary/albums/72157717142691673

Backstory: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=196736.0

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:16 AM »
That is a good idea. So all the armor is on a single panel of fabric, and fastens just forward of your shoulder seam. A more exaggerated form of this coat:

As long as plate spacing and centering is done right and the fastener is StarWarsian, I don't see why it wouldn't be accepted. But I'm no expert. The idea is very cool.

Armor or not, that jacket/shirt is badass looking.

I'm trying to go for ease of assembly/deassembly with this idea. My current vest (zips below the arms) is doable but much easier with a second person. A friend of mine has a vest that zips up the back and he needs assistance.

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:57 AM »
You've got me thinking about my own. I put the zipper in the back, knowing my cape or backpack will hide it. But I have a string tied to the zipper pull so that I can try it on without help. And that's just in fitting stage, not trying to put on a full kit.

Further, I'm concerned about getting it all back off for calls of nature. I've considered putting a flap in the jumpsuit or making the one piece separates. But most folk here say that it won't be a problem.

I worked for years in technical theatre, and costumes that required external assistance were always the bane of the actors and technicians. I'd be moving scenery, and get asked for help with a button or zipper.

Nishi Ja'tejag

Riye cuyir te tauira be a ori'jate jag.  Ni shi jate jag.  Pirusti, Ni cuy' an staabi!

Armour Planning WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78236.0

Soft Parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=77697.0

WIP Photo Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronsneary/albums/72157717142691673

Backstory: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=196736.0

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:50 PM »
Further, I'm concerned about getting it all back off for calls of nature. I've considered putting a flap in the jumpsuit or making the one piece separates. But most folk here say that it won't be a problem.

My flightsuit has zipper pulls at both ends just for that reason (reason #1 only  :-X) and my codpiece basically flips up for access. My first outing at a con I didn't even need to use the bathroom, but god forbid if I needed to I can only imagine the difficulty de-suiting would be if my ease-of-access option didn't work.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:11 AM »
My (approved) armor's a side-of-front closure like Nishi suggested.  It works pretty much just like Erio's armor does, only instead of velcro, I have straps with side-release buckles to hold it closed.  The only help I need getting any part of it on is usually my gauntlets and occasionally the buckles on my biceps, so the theory is sound.

If you did center closure, I'd recommend having a snap-on or magnet-attached diamond and having the belly plate one-piece and attach to one side, at least.  A split collar would be less likely to get dinged than a split belly.  Although, your idea is interesting and your drawing of it is very clear and unambiguous in showing us what you mean.  Props to your art skill.

If you have the time and means to try it, I say try it.  If it passes, then you'll get to be held up as a how-to example.  There's no actual rule in the CRLs that says you HAVE to have a one-piece belly plate or collar plate, or that you HAVE to have a side or back closure vest, but if you go outside of the usual, the app team is going to look extra-close at the parts of your kit that deviate from the norm.  The worst that could happen is a denial, and most applicants get denied on the first try (or two, or three).  If it doesn't pass, make a new belly plate and try again (if that's the reason.  The app team always tells you what bits they think need work.  For all we know the center-closure chest might be A-OK when you do it, but you get dinged on your shoulder placement or your knees or something.)

Best of luck with whatever design you go with!

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:26 PM »
My (approved) armor's a side-of-front closure like Nishi suggested.  It works pretty much just like Erio's armor does, only instead of velcro, I have straps with side-release buckles to hold it closed.  The only help I need getting any part of it on is usually my gauntlets and occasionally the buckles on my biceps, so the theory is sound.

If you did center closure, I'd recommend having a snap-on or magnet-attached diamond and having the belly plate one-piece and attach to one side, at least.  A split collar would be less likely to get dinged than a split belly.  Although, your idea is interesting and your drawing of it is very clear and unambiguous in showing us what you mean.  Props to your art skill.

If you have the time and means to try it, I say try it.  If it passes, then you'll get to be held up as a how-to example.  There's no actual rule in the CRLs that says you HAVE to have a one-piece belly plate or collar plate, or that you HAVE to have a side or back closure vest, but if you go outside of the usual, the app team is going to look extra-close at the parts of your kit that deviate from the norm.  The worst that could happen is a denial, and most applicants get denied on the first try (or two, or three).  If it doesn't pass, make a new belly plate and try again (if that's the reason.  The app team always tells you what bits they think need work.  For all we know the center-closure chest might be A-OK when you do it, but you get dinged on your shoulder placement or your knees or something.)

Best of luck with whatever design you go with!

Thanks for the compliments on my drawings. Kids in elementary school used to try and get me to do their work during art class for them and I was too stupid not to say "sure, I'll do it for $10."

As for the vest, I think I'll stick with the tried and true side zippers I've used before (with a velcro flap to cover the zippers). As much as I would love to do the front zip and try to be groundbreaking and an example for all to follow, I would hate to do all the work and have it rejected just to spend more time (and mainly money) to make a legit vest.

HOWEVER, when I will Powerball tonight that previous paragraph will be retracted.

Valdai Kazan

• Don't even think about it..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2016, 03:29 PM »

That is BRILLIANT! I'm so going to try this approach when i design my vest!!!

I came, i saw, i ate a sandwich

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!