Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP with Some Small Changes

• 300 Replies

Tombob

• Drakkis Voran
Re: WIP with Some Small Changes
« Reply #285 on: Apr 05, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Your weathering is just, wow. So damn good.

Maybe... Just maybe.

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
  • Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #286 on: Apr 09, 2018, 09:02 AM »
Your weathering is just, wow. So damn good.

Thank you so much!  :)

Few more updates  :D

I finished my second transponder and attached it to my belt.

It looks a lot better in person, for some reason my pictures kept coming out shinny even though its not at all.  I also left some space to add other items.  I am thinking of adding some spent CO2 cartridges.  I am not sure what i will say those are for but i will come up with something  :laugh:

I also received my voice amp from eternal armory.

Works great but since i plan on doing some cutting and painting on my bucket, i cannot install it till after im finished with that.  Last thing i want to destroy with paint  :laugh:  My new fan should be here soon so i can cut out those key slots soon  :D

OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
« Reply #287 on: Apr 10, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Another fun thing came in the mail  :D

This is a 40mm smaller low sound and low vibration fan to go in my bucket on the inside of the key slots i plan to cut out soon.  I cut the connector off to test if it will run on a 9V.  It does  :) and, according the my math, it should run 11 hrs on a single 9V.  The fan i currently have is just over kill and is very loud and very heavy. 

All i need to do is get the troop done on Friday and then begin the electronics overhaul of my bucket  :D

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
« Reply #288 on: Apr 12, 2018, 10:25 AM »
Did some deconstruction last night while watching the Pens crush the Flyers (Sorry Philly natives but it is a thing that happened  :D)

I ripped some LEDs out of an old project i had.  I did a division video game cosplay a while back and, due to the current situations with real looking firearms at cons, i have never worn it so i figured i could steal some stuff from it  :)

The beacon and watch had a bunch of small orange LEDs in them.  Why not re-purpose these into my bucket?  I do need to buy one more 9v connector since i will have the fan running off one 9V with a switch and the LEDs running off another 9V with a switch as well.  I may try to run these all on one 9v?  I have to look up how much power the LEDs pull.  I know the fan will run 11.4hrs on one 9v.  Figure i want at least 4 hrs of run time. 

Some pictures below because i know ppl love pictures (and the whole "pictures or didn't happen" argument  :laugh:)

I am only stealing three LEDs and ditching the huge power cell.  I plan to light up the two triangles on the front of my bucket and place one on the bottom of my key slots (once i cut them out)  I was also thinking of maybe putting a third on the small square box on my left cheek?  I may just cut that out and use it as a vent port for breathing.  I am up on the air on that one.  I think it will come down to how well the key slots turn out when i cut them.  Some pictures below of my bucket for reference. 

Con on Friday and then the cutting begins  :D

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
« Reply #289 on: Apr 16, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Well i finished my troop on friday.  Worked out well but had a few hiccups.

First the good  :D Some pictures from the event

Now for the bad, toe plates need a more secure connection.  I am thinking of using a combo of double sided tape and E6000.  They stayed on all day but they were loose which was a pain. 

My knife holster hook for my boot came loose and now can spin 360 degrees around the strap.  (You can see this in the photos above  :laugh:)  Since the handle is the heaviest part of the knife, it kept sitting upside down.  I have to remove it about halfway through the con. 

My strap on my blaster holster pulled threw the nylon.  I will just have to remake this.  Maybe use leather this time so this dosen;t happen again.  Didn't happen till i took this stuff off after the con luckily.

Lastly my painted part of my gloves are not drying well.  My guess is its the enamel on rubber.  I am going to touch it up with a brush and see if acrilic will hold better or maybe try clear coating the whole thing.  Got to do something.

I am also beginning the work on my bucket now.  It was 90F out on friday so i was sweating bullets.  I will be cutting the key holes out soon and getting them installed  :D  Will post pictures of these issues as i work on them.   :D

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
« Reply #290 on: Apr 19, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Just a small update with pictures of my issues

(I didnt take a picture of the boots since that one is pretty obvious  :laugh:)

My knife did this shortly after getting to the con .....

It looks like one of the two bolts in here came loose.  I am thinking my best course of action here is to use a E6000 to help it stay since when Delta Leather works made this in the first place, i think he bolted from the inside before sewing the pieces together.  I do not have it in me to rip this apart.  I will try this and see how it works. 

This is the leather rivet that pulled threw the nylon.  I am thinking of installing a small gromit and putting a longer rivet through it.  Should stop that from happening.

Lastly is the glove paint.... i am not sure what to do about this ... i am using enamel paint which i guess is not good on a rubber surface?  I am open to ideas on how to get this paint to stay ... its like it never drys on the rubber surface and sticks to things when it is touched ... Just not sure what to do ....

No bucket updates yet but i will be starting that as soon as i get some free time....

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #291 on: Apr 19, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Most vehicle shops that sell paints will sell a some form of paint specially formulated for rubber. That would be what you want, enamels I've found either remain tacky and are like glue or they dry hard and flake off if they are not on a good solid surface that they like. Might be worth testing enamel on rubber paint as it might be that a coat of rubber formulated paint could act as a primer layer for the enamel.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
« Reply #292 on: Apr 20, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Most vehicle shops that sell paints will sell a some form of paint specially formulated for rubber. That would be what you want, enamels I've found either remain tacky and are like glue or they dry hard and flake off if they are not on a good solid surface that they like. Might be worth testing enamel on rubber paint as it might be that a coat of rubber formulated paint could act as a primer layer for the enamel.

That is a good idea.  I looked up my local auto parts store and it looks like this paint is typically some type of spay acrylic mixed with a lacquer (to increase the surface strength).  I can do this for sure, the blue might be slightly different since matte colors are not that common on factory cars, i will just apply a ton of black wash  :laugh:

The problem now is how to remove the paint without damaging the rubber underneath ... Googling this states to try to use a mix of water and steel wool.  Also if there are spots that stuck, cotton ball with rubbing alchole or goo-gone is recommended as well.  I will give that a try and see how it turns out....

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
« Reply #293 on: Apr 23, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Super excited for this update  :D

First thing is first, I started working on the knife mounting issue and noticed something hard at the bottom of the holster  :D  It was my missing nut.  Not the easiest fix but i used a small screw driver from the size to tighten it.  If it comes out again i will use a little lock tight  ;D

I also started cutting into my bucket.  Most nerve racking cutting i have ever done (Mainly bc i didn't want to have to re-paint everything)  I following the basic drilling of holes then used a set of small files to get the shape.

Can see some paint chipping.... Plan on putting an orange light back here as well as a fan

Not perfect but with the LEDS and some black on there, i think it will look fine  :)

This is just to help air flow. 

Drilled the holes out, just to help airflow as well

This is my plan with the fan.  This one is very quiet and low vibration  :)  (on the inside tho)

I have to repaint the bottom edge as well since my neck seal rubbed off the plastic dip i have on the inside.  I will post pictures as i paint, wire and install the amp  :D

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
« Reply #294 on: May 03, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Few more updates

Finished the touch up painting, sorry didn't take pictures of that since it was mainly just a very long tape job to make sure i didn't get an over spray.  I cut some window tint and screen material out to cover the holes.  I have to black wash first and then i will hot glue those in.  I may double side tape the tint in since its just a thin plastic.

I finally got my switches in from china so i could begin wiring everything up.  I am slowly getting good a soldering  :laugh:  Some pictures below of my linked 3 Orange LEDs and the fan  :D  I will also add the amp into the helmet as well but that was pre-wired for me.  Some pictures below  :D

My tiny switches i will probably hot glue or double side tape into my helmet

everything works  :)

Tonight i will begin with black washing the parts of the helmet i repainted and then gluing my tinted plastic and screen into the helmet.  Once that is done, it turns into wire management mode.  I may shorten the LEDs drastically since those wires are extremely long.  I was thinking of spot gluing the wires down with hot glue unless someone has a better way to get the wires to stay were i put them  :laugh:

I purchased rechargable 9V batteries so i can just use velcro to keep them in the bucket  :)

Will post pictures as i work  :D

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
« Reply #295 on: May 07, 2018, 09:48 AM »
More updates  :D

I finished up getting all the new things into the bucket and shorted up the wires.  See below  :)

This picture was taken before putting the voice changer in.  Down side is that the voice changer is not close enough to my mouth to pick up my voice and is getting a ton of feed back so i will need to move it around....

I will move it around tonight and take some more pictures.  Happy its almost done.

Just need to repair the blaster holster and figure out what paint to buy for the gloves  :laugh:

(And keep working on Recon Brigade but the microbinoculars have discouaged me currently   :-[)

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
« Reply #296 on: May 11, 2018, 09:47 AM »
Alright the bucket upgrades are finished  :D

Took some time but i figured out the feedback was coming from my head not being in the bucket.  My head works as a buffer between the speaker and the mic  :laugh: 

I also used double sided tape with hot glue over top for an extra hold to keep the wires attached :)  I still need to hit the fan edges with hot glue as well but i ran out of hot glue  :laugh:  But for the most part its finished.

Fan, LEDs and voice changer all run on their own 9v battery (thats why there are three).  All wires are soldered and heat shrink with the switches needing a little electrical tape just to be sure my ears don't connect power lines  :laugh:   Down side is the fan motor needs a higher charge in the battery to start but then runs fine from that point on.  Since rechargable batteries always a little worse the standard ones, this means i have to start up the fan shortly after connecting the battery but once it starts running, it will run for hours.  I could always just use a standard 9v battery which will work everytime till it dies (which i may end up doing and just put the last recharge batery in my left gauntlet  :laugh:)  Still up in the air on that one  :)

Some pictures below!

I will be getting some type of felt or thinker material for the top of the bucket to cover the Velcro shown there.  My head has to be very close to the top so my eyes meet the t-visor so i can't adder normal padding.... figure i will hit up a fabric store and see what feels nice  :P

Voice changer to give me an electrical sound with battery to power it.  Switch there is for the LEDs.  Voice changer does not have a switch currently, there is a dial on it to turn it up and down easily while the bucket is on (eternal armory provided voice changer)

Transponder that makes my bucket into a big speaker and the battery for the fan connected to a simple switch.

Fan with screen material and battery for LEDs

I used velcro to attach the rechargeable batteries since these will need to come in and out for obvious charging  :laugh:

I took a few pictures of the outside of the LEDs.  I am thinking i need some plastic on the front triangles to make the light look more uniform but i am not sure how to do that at this point.  I don't think it looks bad the way it currently is, right?

(I stole this idea from a sweet mando sniper that posts on this forum  :D)

Well now thats done, its back to repairs.... Need to fix my thigh strap for my blaster... We will see how that goes since it was a pain in the first place ....

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #297 on: May 11, 2018, 11:32 AM »
You are just moving right along with all this.  Nice to see you making such great progress, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 21

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #298 on: May 11, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Man, I need to make some progress on mine....Great work vod!

Hanjo Solba

• Formerly 'LT_Wipeout'
« Reply #299 on: May 14, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Thank you Kol Var'Das and Havelock!

I am thinking the bucket is finally finished (for now).  I added some craft felt to the top to make it more comfortable then just using a cut up T-Shirt  :laugh:  Covers the added velcro  :D

I also had some time to figure out a fix for my thigh holster.  I had some left over snaps so, i figured, what the hell, this should fix my problem for now and allow me to use snaps on a leather strap (if i ever find one  :laugh:)

All i need now is to fix the boot plates and work on the gloves  :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!