Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Need help with wrist datapad?

• 11 Replies

Cyrus Ulto

• Kaden'runi
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 25 official invasions. Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Need help with wrist datapad?
« on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:21 AM »
So I have a wrist rectangle, I am having a bit of trouble finding a how to or any kind of guidance on the project to draw ideas from. I have a wrist gauntlet piece that has a small rectangular hole in it. My idea was to put some kind of screen on it/in it and play a video of things like bounties, schematics, and the such on the gauntlet. Kind of like a mini datapad. My only problem is that I have no idea how to approach this or even what parts I would need. Would love some guidance from a individual familiar with this kind of thing.

Jasand

Re: Need help with wrist datapad?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:32 PM »
I bought a digital photo keyframe on Amazon.  I uploaded a bunch of photos I liked (Wanted posters from Galaxies, wireframes of ships and equipment, etc).  I then set the photoframe to slideshow through the photos.  It's mounted to the inside of my gauntlet with velcro, so I can easily pull it out to recharge or update it.

One thing I would recommend, try to make sure you don't get one with an automatic shutoff.  The default on mine is to turn itself off after 5-10 minutes to save battery.  I haven't really messed with it since the first troop with it, so I'm not sure if that's something I can change or if I need a different model.  It was super cheap, though.  Like $8. 

Cyrus Ulto

• Kaden'runi
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 25 official invasions. Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:09 PM »
Ok how small do those get? Cause I'm looking at a rectangle that is about 1-2 inches by 3-4 inches

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:37 PM »
Check my WIP (in the sig) I think I have the solution you're looking for.
Best of luck!

Jasand

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2016, 03:58 PM »
Ok how small do those get? Cause I'm looking at a rectangle that is about 1-2 inches by 3-4 inches

This http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PCS4PA?keywords=keychain%20photo%20frame&qid=1452717972&ref_=sr_1_12&sr=8-12  is very similar to the one I have.  It's in the tiny size range you're looking for.

Cyrus Ulto

• Kaden'runi
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2016, 04:26 PM »
Jasand good sir/madame, you are my hero. That is the perfect size. I'm super excited now.

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:50 AM »
I also did something similar on my build & I will be rebuilding mine again very soon as I've gotten a new phone & it doesn't fit in the current gaubtlet. I've also collected a series of pics to use a datapad screens

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Jasand

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2016, 10:35 AM »

Jasand good sir/madame, you are my hero. That is the perfect size. I'm super excited now.

:D :D :D

Thanks!  Errrr. . . you're welcome!  Either way, I'm glad I could help!  Good luck!

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:53 AM »
I've considered using an older smart phone that no longer has service and loading photoshopped images and putting it in slideshow mode, or just using the touch-screen function to look up bounties, etc.

From what I've read, the physical phone body needs to be built into a gauntlet or otherwise disguised with Star Wars styled greeblies, etc. so that it isn't recognizable as a Galaxy Tab or iPhone 3.

I know most of us have at least one prior cell phone lying around.

Nishi Ja'tejag

Riye cuyir te tauira be a ori'jate jag.  Ni shi jate jag.  Pirusti, Ni cuy' an staabi!

Armour Planning WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78236.0

Soft Parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=77697.0

WIP Photo Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronsneary/albums/72157717142691673

Backstory: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=196736.0

Cyrus Ulto

• Kaden'runi
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:05 PM »
So I ended up ordering the 1.8 one and the slide show feature is great. I kinda wished it was bigger but it's a good start. I'm going to a friends house tonight to start building a work around for it.

Jasand

« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:12 AM »
It is a little small, but it looks cool, and people will catch it and ask for a closer look.

Good luck!  Hope it turns out awesome!

Cyrus Ulto

• Kaden'runi
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:15 AM »
It ended up going really well. I have to order a new one because I think I got paint in the charge port that prevents it from syncing to a computer to change photos but it lets it charge.

It was really easy to use though and it went over very well by the people there. Definitely will continue this and post photos when it's fully complete.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!