Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

A foam arena-style build

• 3 Replies

Kodiak

• Kelborn Mereel, Kodiak Darling
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
A foam arena-style build
« on: Jan 13, 2016, 02:07 PM »

I needed a jetpack that was light enough to not need a harness, yet still be sturdy enough to survive some tumbling around. I turned to EVA foam, which has become a favorite build material of mine.

I hand drafted the patterns to resemble the Jango Arena pack closely (but not exactly). The cones were the most difficult part, since they're hard to find in the real world. I lucked out on the primary cone, which I found at a hobby shop. It's the propeller cap for a large RC plane. The other cones are carved out of three sheets of foam stacked on top of one-another, and I aim to replace them as soon as I find something better. The jet nozzles are high-efficiency shower heads found at Home Depot for $2 a piece. Total cost of materials, paints, and adhesives comes out to about $30.

I didn't have a belt sander when I started, so some lines are much cleaner than others. But overall I'm very happy with it, and I think it completely rounds out my kit. I'm still working on the exact seating on my backplate, it's a fine line between too high and too low.

Here's the build process!

Originally the pool noodles were just a stand in. But they fit too perfectly to ignore, so I just covered them in a thin craft foam.

Save your comments about the cylinders....

The paint without weathering is so astonishingly ugly.

But throw some weathering in and it's certified cool.

My first test-fit. Seated a bit too high, but I like how straight the pack rested vertically. It gets a bit of an angle when seated lower. I may modify the back of the jetpack for a better fit.

NeX

• Merc# 1189 - M.V.S. #033
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: A foam arena-style build
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:57 PM »
That looks awesome!  ;D

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: A foam arena-style build
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2016, 06:28 AM »
Beautiful!

IG  -  @suzylamoureuxdrums

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!