Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Sound of Spurs

• 41 Replies

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
The Sound of Spurs
« on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:29 PM »
Alright, so one thing I'd like to have on my Dohver suit is the sound of spurs. I however, do not want to HAVE spurs. No spiked heel ornaments for me. I'd prefer to have whatever is making the sound be something totally different, or totally invisible. I just don't want it to look like spurs... just need the sound.

Ideas I've had range from having a hinge like piece of metal on the heel that would click... also had a few where I hollow out the heel and put in metal, etc... but... I'm not sure.

Anyone have any ideas?

MirdalaMachina

• Do real men wear pink? NO. Real men wear kamas.
Re: The Sound of Spurs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:33 PM »
i'm not very skilled with actual construction, but i have a good head for stuff like this. howsabout....you take a hollow heel and create some kind of mechanism INSIDE OF the heel? that way, it's hidden so you don't have a flap that keeps separate from your boots when you walk, and you don't just have some random bits of metal clacking out-of-sync with each other within the compartment?

Check out my character's story, The Journal of the Black Beskar'gam
Entry 1: Jatne'Buir http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=9655.0

Tava Kishon

• Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:45 PM »
If you use the hollowed out heel, make sure that the back of the heel has an area for the sound to escape

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:36 AM »
I heard in ESB they actually put spurs on Boba...but of course you couldn't see his feet in the scenes that you could hear it.

I would say some washers on a loose screw in the bottom edge of your boot? (side of boot sole)

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:42 AM »
I heard in ESB they actually put spurs on Boba...but of course you couldn't see his feet in the scenes that you could hear it.

I would say some washers on a loose screw in the bottom edge of your boot? (side of boot sole)

That's an interesting idea. I could have it visible and still blame it as something functional. Hmm... Think a simple bolt type screw with some interesting bits of metal on it would work?...

Riv Serulius

• Yub Yub
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:39 PM »

Either that, or I think it was most likely Ben Burtt simply added the sound of spurs in post production while working on the sound design, in order to give Boba that unique presence on-screen.  I heard the official story somewhere....

One thing you could try doing Bio, is pick up some PVC or metal piping, cut it into a small section, put in some small debris like metal BB's or nuts, and then put caps on each end.  Essentially, you'll have something like a rattle.  Then you just strap it to your ankle underneath your suit, and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, I'd try experimenting around with different materials working off of the same general idea.  Something you can strap to your ankle or calf, which when walking would create that spurs sound.

Small bells kind-of sound like this too when you hold them in your hand tightly and don't allow the metal casing to vibrate, creating a much duller ring/jingle.

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2009, 08:46 PM by Riv Serulius » Logged

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Courtney from the DSG/AZ Mando's has a chain on her belt that smacks her metal cod plate as she walks. You could easily emulate that and keep it hidden. It makes a nice effect when she walks. She sounds like she's wearing a set of Medevil style armor. When I made her her custom figure, she was most impressed that I added the chains which give her her distinctive sound!

Biohazard

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Courtney from the DSG/AZ Mando's has a chain on her belt that smacks her metal cod plate as she walks. You could easily emulate that and keep it hidden. It makes a nice effect when she walks. She sounds like she's wearing a set of Medevil style armor. When I made her her custom figure, she was most impressed that I added the chains which give her her distinctive sound!

That does give me a good idea... not exactly that though...

A loosely screwed/nailed on plate of metal along the back of the shoe on the sole... and have either a chain or something that will clink on it... maybe?

Todd

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:05 PM »
What about putting something in a pocket? When I wear my cargo pants, I always have my keys and change making noise from banging against each other. Thought it was a cool sound and instantly thought of Clint Eastwood.

Tag'ric Krigen

• Beowulf from HVM
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:18 PM »
When i was in cadets among other things I was a gunner and then a gunnery instructor, when you pass your instructors qualification course you get was are called "gunnery heels" which are metal plates that go onto the heels of your boots. When you walk they make a metal clicking sound (their nicknames are clickers). Its a very distinct sound and I have them on the boots I use for my armor. They dont have a spur sound but a metal click click click every where you go...

I can post pics and such if you want more info...

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Facebook Profile

Biohazard

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:12 PM »
Sure Tag'ric! That'd be nice. It'd at least give me a good idea to think about. ;)

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Tag"ric beat me to it. In my army days they were called taps and all they are are two small pieces of metal that conect to the toe and heal of your boot. Won't get the rattle effect that you get from spurs, but will give you a metalic click type of sound when ever you take a step.

Beviin Verhayc

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:42 PM »
Yes, that is what I was going to recommend as well. We called them 'Taps' and would put them on the heels of our engineers' boots. It's a half moon shaped piece of steel that any shoe repair guy can put on your boot heels.  Just be careful when you put your heel down on a slick, polished floor. Your foot will slide right out in front of you and you'll be doing the splits in no time flat! HAHA!

You also might try a small, self tapping screw straight into the outside of your boot heel. Put two washers on each screw with a little spacer in between. When you walk they will 'ping' against each other.  Maybe....  ;)

Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it!

Tag'ric Krigen

• Beowulf from HVM
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Ok so after some checking online I cant find any where that sells the British gunnery heels that use to be issued through the Canadian Forces.

However on my #2 boots I had a metal tap placed on the heels at a local shoe shop and these you can find online, I found them on ebay but they cost me a few bucks at my local shoe shop. I also found Horseshoe heel plates on ebay but they are sized to fit different heels.

These are what the ones look like from the shoe shop. If you look at the heel you can see a horseshoe shape under the tap and that is where the original issue ones go, I have them on my #1 pair but they are in storage somewhere so I dont have a pic, sorry.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Facebook Profile

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:16 PM »

ben burtt added the spurs sound effect in post
fett never wore spurs
tho it is definitely one of the most awesome things about the character lol

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Tolman-Aaray Kyramud

• Do a barrel roll!
  • The Tolmanator
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:16 PM »
Yeah i was just thinking, if you want a clink clank sound, attach a metal plate to the bottom of your boots. When I think of that I think of Kyle Katarn in the olders games running on the metal Bridges. lol... Awsomeness

Aaray Kyramud

Biohazard

« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:43 PM »
I think I figured out what I'm going to do. This is both one of the simplest methods, but will also sound the best, I think.

I'm going to see how it all works out, but I'll plan on sewing some small pouches in the bottom of each leg of my pants, then get some blank keys from a hardware store and put them in the pouches. When I walk, they should rattle around each other, and not really be that noticeable to the average person.

« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:45 AM »
I think I figured out what I'm going to do. This is both one of the simplest methods, but will also sound the best, I think.

I'm going to see how it all works out, but I'll plan on sewing some small pouches in the bottom of each leg of my pants, then get some blank keys from a hardware store and put them in the pouches. When I walk, they should rattle around each other, and not really be that noticeable to the average person.

Clever....but I think spare change would work better than blank keys.

Biohazard

« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:26 PM »
Clever....but I think spare change would work better than blank keys.

Possibly. Although, it does bring up the possibility of having something to lose if I get mugged. :D

I wonder what would give a brighter sound, but also a fuller sound too... though. I was thinking of keys because of the way they sound in loose pockets. That sound is fairly close to what I'd be looking for. I wonder if loose change would sound.... like loose change. I'd fear the sound to be too bright and crisp, versus the clunk kind of sound that the keys have cause they are thicker and wider... I think testing is in order...

« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Possibly. Although, it does bring up the possibility of having something to lose if I get mugged. :D

I wonder what would give a brighter sound, but also a fuller sound too... though. I was thinking of keys because of the way they sound in loose pockets. That sound is fairly close to what I'd be looking for. I wonder if loose change would sound.... like loose change. I'd fear the sound to be too bright and crisp, versus the clunk kind of sound that the keys have cause they are thicker and wider... I think testing is in order...

I dunno, I always sound awesome when I walk with change in my pockets. :D

Zazarus

• You can stuff a cat anywhere with enough jell-o.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:42 PM »
I always sound broke because it's normally all the money I have clanking. LMAO

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:53 PM »
I tried the washer and boot thing...didn't offer nearly enough "clank".

Biohazard

« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:29 PM »
Hmm. Thanks for trying it though. Here's what I'm envisioning...

Mereelajum

• "Last Man Standing" - Daniel Logan
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:33 PM »
That looks like it will work.

Sounds like a plan.....
Mereel A’denla formerly of Wampa Clan

Dar'manda

« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:37 PM »
I almost think it would work better if it weren't sewn onto the outside of the pantleg, but rather put into one of those large "boba-style" pockets on the belt that have the ability to flap around.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!