Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Sound of Spurs

• 41 Replies

Kav'an Hatfield

• Old Man from Naast
Re: The Sound of Spurs
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:47 PM »
In a busy area, are you sure people will be able to hear it?

Owner of Last Minute Gimmicks. Maker of Latex Masks.

Todd

« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:50 PM »
What about some small copper pipe? Same key idea, have it suspended in a pocket, but pipe? Kind of like a wind chime in your pocket. Maybe 3 small diameter pipes, nothing too obtrusive. Let it hang and dangle.

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:42 PM »
In a busy area, are you sure people will be able to hear it?

Doesn't really matter. Sure, at a bigger con, etc, it will most likely not be consciously heard. Some people may pick up on it, but its of little important really. It's an ambiance and it won't be that much work to do it all, so... for those that will see me in a hallway, or on the street for a "walk" or the like... It's part of the atmosphere that the suit will carry, even if it isn't flash and "in your face"

Tolman-Aaray Kyramud

• Do a barrel roll!
  • The Tolmanator
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2009, 04:09 PM »
Good idea dude, the keys FTW, BUT, maybe put them on an elastic string, so they bounce and jingle(?) I dont know, I think youve got a pretty solid idea.. I would maybe even suggest metallic marbles, but idk... Good luck with whatever you do man! :D

Aaray Kyramud

Kyraan Voshka

• This.....is.......SPARTAAAA!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2009, 06:49 PM »
you can maybe put a small metal chain across your belt so it clanks against your cod piece.i heard one mando had done that but their name escapes me...

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Yeah, it was actually mentioned earlier in this thread.

I think any of the "pocketed" ones won't work as well as the fabric tends to muffle the sound.

Arden Fisk

• I R MANDO IRL
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Sistine Chest Plate - Official Member with most intricate paint job Open Seasons Death Watch Brigade MEmber Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:44 PM »
You could maybe do a trophy item that actually makes the sound for you.  For example, some sort of 'tool kit' or creature claws or something on a string that will clatter and click against itself as you walk.  That's what I'm doing for my v.2.  That way it's in the open so there's no fabric muffling the sound, and you can sort of pick and choose the sound you're going for.

...Have you actually considered wearing spurs?  I know Dohver is sort of old-west inspired.  And if you remember, Fett himself was riding a giant dragon beast in the holiday special cartoon.  Maybe Dohver rides some sort of creature and actually DOES wear spurs of some sort?

-Abby Lusk (MMCC Official Member #81)
Quartermaster for the MMCC 2009-May 2013

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2009, 11:22 PM »
You could maybe do a trophy item that actually makes the sound for you.  For example, some sort of 'tool kit' or creature claws or something on a string that will clatter and click against itself as you walk.  That's what I'm doing for my v.2.  That way it's in the open so there's no fabric muffling the sound, and you can sort of pick and choose the sound you're going for.

...Have you actually considered wearing spurs?  I know Dohver is sort of old-west inspired.  And if you remember, Fett himself was riding a giant dragon beast in the holiday special cartoon.  Maybe Dohver rides some sort of creature and actually DOES wear spurs of some sort?

Interesting though, Arden.... I'll have to think about that one. :D

*rubs goatee*

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #33 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:01 PM »
I went the taps route myself; when I was in the Air Force, our BMT Sergeants wore them...you knew the fecal matter was about to hit the proverbial fan when you heard that click-click click-click coming. You could even usually tell which sergeant it was; they all had a different walk, which makes different sounds with the taps. When I became a member of the drill and ceremony team on my first base we used to wear them too, so I had a few sets left over. Last con I was at I even had someone comment on them and liken them to Boba's spurs-sound ;D.

If you had enough keys the sound could well emulate the spurs sound, though as Taglar mentioned, the fabric might well muffle the sound. You'll have to try it out and let us know how it works :).

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Legion

• Good, bad...I'm the guy with guns on my wrists.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:46 AM »
Something I actually suggested to Novall when he was talking about adding this same effect to his kit was to use snaps - specifically, just the female end. Probably a couple of packs worth, for a great enough effect. You could put them on the back of the thighs on your flightsuit where they'd be covered by the kama (assuming your new gear has such) so they'd not be seen, of you could line the outside trim of said kama with jingly metal studs.

| MMCC #0058 | Trendsetter: The original coated Mando.

Chasbar Baar'atin

• Artillery/Heavy Weapons Spec
« Reply #35 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:11 AM »
Maybe,
              A smallish metal plate or two, curved to fit around the back of your heel, then loosely screwed or bolted on so they rattle with each step... sort of like cloggers plates, only on the back of the heel , not under it?

I think adding two plates on each heel, one tight and the rattler or striker loose, would give you the sound you want.  Hope this helps.

Anyone who said brute strength didn't solve problems, obviously wasn't using enough of it.  Ca'nara cetar'narir, mando'ade, Oya!

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:05 PM »
Hadn't thought of that Chasbar.  I had tried two loose pieces of metal on the back of the boot...but one tight and one loose might give a better effect.

Dazarus Marev

• I'm Clone 1
« Reply #37 on: Feb 20, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Sorry for bring this thread back from the dead. i have made two sets of curved metal peices that make sound when i walk.
I had a video but you cant hear the sound they make the cameras mic sucks. You need two pieces of metal so that there is somehing to hit the other with.  heres  a pic of what they look like with out  being mounted. On these i put treads on the piece of metal that sits on the boot and the then the other jigles when you walk. the bolts hold it together.

Chasbar Baar'atin

• Artillery/Heavy Weapons Spec
« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Niiice.

Glad I could Help...;)

Anyone who said brute strength didn't solve problems, obviously wasn't using enough of it.  Ca'nara cetar'narir, mando'ade, Oya!

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #39 on: Feb 21, 2010, 11:26 AM »
lol...guess I'm just odd. I actually attached a pair of spurs to my moto cross boots to make the sound. Of course, I was doing the whole "steampunk/western bounty hunter" idea, but I'm keeping them on my new set cuz I like the sound.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when

Dazarus Marev

• I'm Clone 1
« Reply #40 on: Feb 21, 2010, 04:49 PM »
Thanks for the idea Chasbar.

Praetor Ordo

• Ibic cuyi haar yusta
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2010, 05:30 PM »
I plan on just using a pair of combat spurs screwed onto my jungle boots.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!