Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

EVENT - Vancouver Maker Faire - June 11 & 12, 2016

• 28 Replies

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
EVENT - Vancouver Maker Faire - June 11 & 12, 2016
« on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:44 PM »
Serious question time.    Do we want to look into a booth for Vancouver Mini Maker Faire?   Could be a great way to meet geeky people who like to build things.  Alternatively, or in addition, we could host a presentation on armor building.

http://makerfaire.ca/2016-call-for-makers/

A booth for a non-profit would be $60+GST.   I can look into borrowing/renting the 501st photo backdrop and have a charity photo booth as well if there is interest, or if anyone knows someone with access to a nice large-format printer they might be able to print us our very own photobooth backdrop  :P :kiss:

Rostered:

Myself
ParadoxDJ
Gnar-Gnar
GardenGeek
Tylek Ren
Bassplaya
Faja66

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:28 PM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Vancouver Maker Faire - Interest Poll
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Also, we could totally do a kid's "build a mando helmet" workshop with paper plates and posterboard...

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
Re: Vancouver Maker Faire - Interest Poll
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2016, 11:57 PM »
I think this a great idea! I'd be willing to chip in a bit for the booth.

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
Re: Interest Poll - Vancouver Maker Faire - June 11 & 12, 2016
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2016, 12:06 PM »
Hmmm maker fair... Would he a good chance to show off what I got done so far. Definitely interested

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Alright.   I will get in touch and maybe see if they can work a special price for a non-profit and/or throw in some extra admission  passes.   A booth comes with 2 IIRC.  I have no problem with showing off parts of an unofficial kit but have to ask only official kits be worn.  So we can set up a display of helmets and armor parts, no problem.

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2016, 01:52 AM »
This is going to be so rad!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2016, 12:10 PM »
Forgot to update: I submitted the booth request, short panel on building armor for the grown ups, and a time slot for the kids "Build a Mando" workshop request a while back.  Will update as I know more.

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2016, 05:21 AM »
Thanks Zoph!

What do you all  think about going over a piece of the costume and detailing out the processes involved. Like laser cutting Sintra for gaunt, lathe for the darts, 3D printing greeblies, installing electronics, and then have a pair of gauntlets, one finished and another just the raw parts before assembly?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2016, 05:47 PM »
as in a timelapse video or a booklet with step by step pictures or make 20 of the same item and stop one at each step so they can physically see the progress or???

Thanks Zoph!

What do you all  think about going over a piece of the costume and detailing out the processes involved. Like laser cutting Sintra for gaunt, lathe for the darts, 3D printing greeblies, installing electronics, and then have a pair of gauntlets, one finished and another just the raw parts before assembly?

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2016, 02:30 PM »
i was thinking making a pair of gauntlets, one fuller assembled and painted, the other just the parts, with the process for making the part labeled

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2016, 11:10 PM »
Mark your calendars, vode.   We got accepted for a booth    I'll be talking to them about what exactly that can involve, but what i would like to do is a photobooth for charity, a kids "Build-a-Boba" workshop using cardstock, and an armor making panel/talk for the "grownups".

Late Crusader WIP

Gnar-Gnar

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2016, 12:03 AM »
Mark your calendars, vode.   We got accepted for a booth    I'll be talking to them about what exactly that can involve, but what i would like to do is a photobooth for charity, a kids "Build-a-Boba" workshop using cardstock, and an armor making panel/talk for the "grownups".

I can make an accurate miniature model of our booth for our booth, showing the construction of it?

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
Re: EVENT - Vancouver Maker Faire - June 11 & 12, 2016
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 12:52 AM »
I had to submit the crew list for the event tonight so I have the following rostered.   If I missed someone, or if you have to back out, please let me know.   Now that In-CON is over we can start focusing on planning this.   One month away!

Rostered:

Myself
ParadoxDJ
Gnar-Gnar
GardenGeek
Tylek Ren
Bassplaya
Faja66

They are pre-selling event shirts to booth folks for $10 ($15 at the event) if you are interested.   No photos of the design yet, but you can order it here and pick up at the event

Late Crusader WIP

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Re: EVENT - Vancouver Maker Faire - June 11 & 12, 2016
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 08:23 PM »
Can you PM interested parties the maker ID?  Pre-order deadline is tonight at mid-night!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!