Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Draceline - FEMALE ARMOR - Approved and Upgrading

• 76 Replies

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
Draceline - FEMALE ARMOR - Approved and Upgrading
« on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:03 AM »

Drac'lyn Antares
Original Build
  • Soft Parts
  • Buy'ce
  • Armory

Original Build Starts Here

So, like many others here, I have begun the planning stages of my first kit. At the moment, I call her Drac'lyn Antares. Sound "in-universe" enough?

I'm planning on a modern era, lightweight kit, with extra plates for the boots and shins. I wish to have kama and a loincloth as instead of a codpiece. I overheat rather easily, so I am trying to plan as lightweight and moisture controlling a kit as possible. I'm 5'8" and rather curvy, so I'm trying to design my way around that as well.

Color wise, I'm liking a similar color scheme to my MM screenshots. I'm thinking either this dark eggplant purple or a forest green. So it would be Eggplant/black/brown/tan or Forest/black/brown/tan. I have also considered using both the green and purple instead of the brown, which is shown in the last screenshot.

I shall expand this post later, with a more fleshed out and detailed planning outline.

Advice is more than welcome.

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 09:21 PM by Draceline » Logged
"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

mandoschMUh

• That which does not kill me should run.
Re: Draceline - First Kit Planning
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:46 AM »
Wow, I like the colors of your kit very much. Very excited how it'll look.

STRENGTH IS LIFE - FOR THE STRONG HAVE THE RIGHT TO RULE
HONOR IS LIFE - FOR WITH NO HONOR ONE MAY AS WELL BE DEAD
LOYALTY IS LIFE - FOR WITHOUT ONE'S CLAN ONE HAS NO PURPOSE
DEATH IS LIFE - ONE SHOULD DIE AS THEY HAVE LIVED

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:15 PM »
I like all of those concepts to be fair, they would all work really well together.
The curvy issue - I know your pain (literally, I have the bad back and everything). If you have any questions on shaping plates around assets, don't hesitate to ask.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:09 PM »
Very nice.  Watching with interest.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kaden Amas

• Don't do it, bad idea.
  • Awards Special Weapons Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:35 PM »
As someone who has an problem with overheating plus a auto-immune disease that causes pain when things are touching me, I feel you on making your kit conform to you. You've got solid concepts, keep up the good work. It will be worth the effort. The best advice I can give is to stay adaptable in your design, meaning don't let something stop you because it won't work or doesn't want to work.

Special Weapons Brigade, Weapons Master
Mir'Sheb #19, B.E.A.R.D.S #70, Nerf herder #2

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:32 AM »
So I've decided that I would like to aim my build toward joining the Beast Tamer brigade. I am planning on building my own bucket, mainly to save money, however I would be happy to buy a Night Owl provided I can come up with the money. If anybody has any tips on building a buy'ce I'd be glad to hear them. All I know for sure at this point is that the WOF template is going to be too big.

I've got some progress on my soft parts. I made a pouch out of some spare leather (no picture yet), custom for my cell phone.... My Kama and loincloth are finished, minus the hooks to secure them. I also have arm wraps. I'll be working on my vest this week. I shall also hopefully be picking up some sintra from a very generous Falco in my area! (Thanks MRivera).

I've seen examples of sleeveless mando builds. With the long arm wraps, along with the gauntlets, would it be acceptable to go sleeveless or short tight sleeves, or should I go with something long but skin tight to try to manage the heat?

Here's my progress. My sleeves are rolled up to show the wraps (enormous t-shirt...). And yes its a Star Trek shirt. Sue me. ;P

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017, 06:59 PM by Draceline » Logged

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:38 AM »
If I recall correctly, the CRLs were updated a few months ago to allow short sleeved, and even sleeveless flight suits.  I don't have the actual post handy, but I'll see if I can dig it up and link it for you.  And assuming I'm correct, a short sleeve flight suit should be no problem.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 01:10 AM »
Thanks Havelock. I've been looking, and I've been finding evidence of mixed results in the past. The guidelines available on the main page were less than helpful, especially considering the difficulty in finding usable soft stuff for female armor.

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:16 AM »
App team clarified the change in a Q&A thread back in July.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95808.msg1392308#msg1392308

In short, (sleeves :laugh:) they're allowed on custom mandos. Unless something has changed again

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:52 AM »
Aye, they are allowed. If the lack of sleeves fits the kit then they will be fine - just having no sleeves on a basic bounty hunter doesn't seem to work most of the time. But having no sleeves on some of the environmental or beast themed kits can look really good. Just remember to follow the usual rule, that the short sleeves match the trouser portion of the kit.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Havelock

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2016, 01:57 PM »
Have you checked out the Female Armor Resource Thread?  Lots of great stuff there.  The female armor board in general has a lot of great stuff for the ladies.

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:06 PM »
Aye, they are allowed. If the lack of sleeves fits the kit then they will be fine - just having no sleeves on a basic bounty hunter doesn't seem to work most of the time. But having no sleeves on some of the environmental or beast themed kits can look really good. Just remember to follow the usual rule, that the short sleeves match the trouser portion of the kit.

Thanks very much for this clarification. I was planning on a semi-environmental beast tamer. I realized that with a little tweaking, my colors would be perfect for a dense rainforest or an environment like Felucia, and I will try both short and long sleeves to see which looks better (and keep the other for days on which I need the different amount of coverage). I'll send both to approval if needed.

SO I've had a little more progress. I managed, by myself to make a rudimentary (read: crappy) body form in order to start designing the chest plates. I will make a better one when I have help, and will likely end up fiberglassing that cast.

How does my plate shape look? I've got the chest plates and have marked the bottom edge of the collar plate.

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017, 06:30 PM by Draceline » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Made a little adjustment to the bottom tab angle and length.
I ended up cutting at least an inch off the bottom of mine (they started out about that length) so that I could bend without them sticking into me in uncomfortable ways.

I do like that custom collar shape though. My paint doesn't do curvy lines so I couldn't try and mirror it on the ab. You'll just have to imagine that I made the lines all super curvy like yours :P

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2016, 08:49 PM by Kris Jasra » Logged

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Thanks Kris. So you think I should bring the bottom tab forward instead of having the outside edge run straight down? and did you mean that you liked the bottom edge curved as well and paint wasn't letting you? Or was that just referring to the belly plate?

I'm rather long-waisted so I'm having a hard time telling where the plates need to end. Every off the shelf vest pattern I've used in the past had to be lengthened, including the one I'm working on for this project. That's a pain in the butt simply because of all the angles, but it is doable.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:42 AM »
Just to the fact that you had it drawn with a curve that I couldn't replicate. My paint does straight lines only.
And yeah, definite tab forwards a little. It's a breast issue, I'm in the same boat. As you curve the plate around to cover all side boob it widens the plate far more than if there was no breast present. If you don't correct for the plate widening then you end up with a very wide ab plate that looks more like a stomach band (I speak from experience :P). By pulling them back in it reduces the width of the ab and allows you to give it more of an ab shape.

From the pics I'd say about an inch above the bottom of the tape would be where I'd put the bottom of the ab. That should allow space for girth and belts without having them squished in and hanging from the hips.

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2016, 03:45 AM »
Alright, I'll give that a shot.

As a side note, I've realized that I'm really not happy with my kama. I love it but it came out far too skirt-like. If I'm going to try to manage heat, this version is covering far too much on top of what the pants would. Plus, this particular shape is making me look far heavier than I already am. I think I need to pull the sides back, exposing more of the thigh and hip area.

I'm going to try again. I've still got some of the same fabric so I don't have to deconstruct the nightmarishly good quality stitching I put in. Plus the current one would be good for when and if I decide to cosplay the Hero Princess from Fable.

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2016, 01:10 AM »
New Updates!

I've completely rebuilt my kama. I like this new version much better. I really wanted the longer lines. And I have a pocket! It wasn't intended, but I ended up making a pocket in the waistband when I attached the green panel. It is a good size to keep my ID and a spare $20, just in case.

I have also started trying to figure out proper placement for the plates so I can make up a template.

It is a pain in the shebs to take pictures in a bathroom mirror... Everything I did threw off the placement.

I need to make everything symmetrical, but otherwise how does this general idea look? I'm also playing with the idea of a segmented ab plate... For placement reference, the edge of my shirt/pants is at my belly button. Is this about right?

On a side note, I may change my flight suit to a different color. I'm thinking a black flight suit. I'd also love one in that teal color of my t-shirt in the first pictures, but that would have to be custom.

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017, 07:00 PM by Draceline » Logged

Havelock

« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2016, 03:37 AM »
I'm digging the kama. Kandosii!  As for the templates, they look very good.  Those should work nicely.  The collar, though, needs to come up a bit. It's supposed to be almost choking you.  Plus, raising the collar will also widen the spacing between the collar and chest pieces, matching the spacing between the chest and ab pieces.

Nice work, vod.  Keep it up.

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2016, 04:04 AM »
I'm glad the kama meet approval! Thanks! I'm pretty proud of them. It's much better than the first version.

I thought the collar was likely to be the issue. I was already thinking about how I'd modify the template for it. I figured it would be too big, but I can't print a new one yet (no printer ink) so I'll need to trace it out on newsprint.

There is actually significant space between the chest and the collar, but my arm and the flimsy paper and the photo angle didn't allow that to be seen. But I'll see what I can do!

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2016, 04:09 AM by Draceline » Logged

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2016, 04:12 AM »
Love the new kama!! It makes you look super tall :) love the teal colour too- that's going to be my base armour colour :)
About your ab plate, I would be careful making the point on the bottom- it might either catch on your girth belt or poke you in the stomach.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Collar also needs to be closer to the neck on the sides and not so far out over your shoulders. Try and get the inside line hugging your neck all the way round and the outside lines lining up with the chest plates.
Segmented ab would work well with this kit, 3 plates keeping that same downward V angle as the bottom plate has I think would work really well.

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2016, 12:58 AM »
Kris, I'm already working on that. I've actually also been working on a template as a backup for this one. I'm having a nightmare of a time figuring out the darts... It's based on Kuu's legacy build, but I'm cutting it into multiple plates rather than just the one.

GardenGeek, thank you! I had figured that about the ab plate, but I wanted to give it a shot. I do believe that you're right. I'd rather not impale myself. I've already got to worry about that with bras.

Anyway, relatively minor update, but several pictures.

I had a trip to Wally World and came home with loot! YAY! PlasticWeld putty, and hot glue for tacking things until I can epoxy them, and gloves and.....

I got lucky and found some fingerless leather motorcycle gloves on clearance. This ought to work nicely, and they're vented.

I built a mockup of the WOF template about a week ago, and just managed to upload the picture to a sharing site. It doesn't feel right size wise. Too wide, but I need the size for my glasses. I may be working online with Bowfanny on the helmet issue though. He said he'd give me a hand.

I've had a wonderful idea. I've been collecting dead chapstick tubes for a while (I have 8 that I can find so far), on the off chance I could use them for something, and thought, "Gee, a person who works with animals tends to keep tranquilizers handy, just in case." So, TADAAAA!! Future Tranq Darts!

I gutted the tubes and will be gluing the plastic screw onto the lid. If I need to, I can swap that out for other, plain lids to be Con-safe.

I think I may need to pick up this pattern. Look at all the pouches and belts and holsters......

Also, in the soft-goods department, my Zygerrian master has found my kama...they belong to him now...

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2016, 03:32 PM by Draceline » Logged

Da'am Keldau

• Beskar Gett'se Clan - Montana
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:29 AM »
I agree with Havelock, your kama looks awesome, and the color combination is great!

Kris Jasra

« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2016, 06:11 AM »
Helmet looks about the same size as mine relative to you. I have the same issue in that I can't go down a size or my glasses can't fit in. I ended up setting the shoulder so that they stuck out instead of laid flat against my arm. If you can't make the helmet any smaller, bulk the shoulders instead to balance the size.

Re: Draceline - First Kit Planning - FEMALE ARMOR
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2016, 05:21 AM »
I love your tranq dart idea. The only worry I have with them is the tip getting bent or broken off depending on where you are putting them on your kit.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!