Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build - planning stage

• 24 Replies

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
First build - planning stage
« on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:51 AM »
I have already been pestering the guys and gals in the Female armoring section, but thought I should get all my details laid out here.

Helmet - smaller Boba Fett style, rcvd

Armor - duct tape form with Fiberglass Chest; inquire and test Terraflex; Sintra
Make gauntlets from PVC, acquire greeblies
neck, chest, cod/loincloth, back, shoulder, knee, diamond

Soft parts
Flight suit - Berne Poplin Short Sleeve coverall, Khaki, with Under armor - white long sleeve heat-gear
Neck - researching - performance fabric, white, building
Vest - researching - building
Boots - brown - rcvd
Gloves - brown fingerless leather to match boots
Sash/girth belt and longer styled Kama

Mando Maker final draft:

Bucket and chest is being worked with Sirs Phil and Michael of Kamino Outpost in Tampa!

Steph

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2016, 09:00 PM by ladydeth999 » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: First build - planning stage
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:08 PM »
As I posted on your other thread, I really like the look of the design on the right.  I'm especially digging that purple visor.  I'll be watching both your threads to make sure I don't miss anything.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Many thanks, sir!  I will be pestering much more in the coming days :D

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:42 PM »
Bring it on.  I've got far too much time on my hands at the moment...when my ad'ike stop climbing all over me.   :laugh:

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Since I have my helm in hand, I think I will start on it first.  Should I create a thread in the helm section?  I think I'll add all the WIPs to my sig so I can keep track of everything.

This weekend will begin the duct tape model of me so I can start paper armor, yay!

Havelock

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Personally, I'm just putting everything in my main WIP thread, but a lot of people break theirs up.  So if you want to do a separate helmet thread, go for it.  I just lack having fewer things to keep track of.

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:06 PM »
So I put a little bit of bondo on the dome to smooth out some lumps that I don't like, and I notice my keyholes are offset....is that normal??

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Generally, keyhole slots are centered.  Where did you get your helmet?  It's likely just because the keyholes were off-center on the master helmet that yours was cast from. 

It's also possible to fix the helmet by filling the off-center part in with bondo and then cutting the slots back in the center.  or you could always completely cut out the whole rectangular area and stick in a something with a pattern of holes (mesh/grate/etc). 

On another note, I like your concept :)

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:35 PM »
O - filling in with something holey might be an interesting idea.  I am also toying with the idea of leaving part of the front filled.  I should probably make a helmet thread.

Mine is the 90% bobble head free bucket from Forgeprops.

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:01 PM »
By part of the front do you part of the visor?  That would be cool!  If you go that route just make sure to follow the visor guideline from the CRL's; "Custom visor designs are allowed, however at least 1/3 of the vertical T portion must be apparent. The Executioner helmet is an example where 1/3 of the vertical T portion is visible in the ‘nose’ and ‘teeth’ sections of the visor design."

I looked at the pictures of your helmet in the sales thread, it looks like a pretty nice helmet! 

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:38 PM »
You are exactly correct!  I bondo'd in the bottom two inches, which will leave 3.5 inches open.  It's 5.5 inches,not including the top of the T.

Thank you so much for amazing ideas!  Now to find something to do with the keyholes....

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2016, 11:06 PM »
Cool, you should be fine then!  I'm excited to see what you decide to do with the keyholes, there's so many options :)  The most important thing to consider when making your decision is to do what you like best (within the CRLs), cause in the end you're the one who should be the happiest with your kit :)

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:21 PM »
Its been almost a year, but here is my album of over a hundred pics!  Since there are so many, I thought the google album would be easier.  The bottom is the newest.

https://goo.gl/photos/ozXJLHuVUozK8A2HA

I did end up switching my vest, purchased from a local clan member.  I may revisit the corset with vents later.

Legion

• Good, bad...I'm the guy with guns on my wrists.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:48 PM »
Quite impressive!

| MMCC #0058 | Trendsetter: The original coated Mando.

Havelock

« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:50 PM »
Wow.  Your kit is looking amazing!  One thing I noted, though, is that you'll need to have a collar plate in order to become an Official Member.  Sabine's collarless style is only approved for Sabine kits.  The workmanship you've put into this is excellent, and it's going to look absolutely phenomenal.  Your purple mirrored visor?  SCORE!  That just caps this great build.

Legion

• Good, bad...I'm the guy with guns on my wrists.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:30 AM »
She has a collar, I think? In the last few pics it's hard to see because of the way it seems to sit at an angle and the shoulder tabs of it appear to have been painted black so it blends with the vest.

| MMCC #0058 | Trendsetter: The original coated Mando.

Havelock

« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2017, 03:35 AM »
Ah.  I must not have scrolled down far enough the first time through, or my browser was acting up.  The last picture I saw was below the "Toys on Parade" pictures, the bathroom selfie with no collar. I can see it now though.

So never mind about my no collar comments above.  My apologies.  I'd like to see the collar actually on you, though.  hehe

Again, great work, vod.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:32 AM »
One thing I noted, though, is that you'll need to have a collar plate in order to become an Official Member.

Take a closer look - there is a full collar in there :P Angle of the pic and the colour is blending it into the vest really well, lol.

All looking good to me - may need a little trim on the bottom of the chest plates to bring the ab up, the spacing on the early pictures between chest/ab and girth is looking a little tight - but you look to have done a ton of work since then so I'll wait till you've done a full kit up to double check that.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:22 PM »
Thank you, all!
Here's a pic from the pre-approval with the collar, but the pics from the parade did not have a collar.

Havelock

« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:00 PM »
I knew there wasn't a collar.  In the parade pics, sure.   :laugh:

Your kit is looking very, very nice.  The only thing I see that the App Team will be concerned with is that it appears that your shin plates are being held on with black straps.  Which, on a white flight suit, won't work.  Beyond that, your kit looks great!

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Thank you, Havelock! I will create some slip covers for those elastic straps.

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Damn that is a lot of progress :) You should make yourself a WIP in the Armor construction board and post some of this up :) (People don't tend to go to outside link for picture galleries, more responses will be from embedding the pictures. Here is the guide for how)

As Havelock has pointed out a collar will be required for approval. It does seem from the very bottom photos this may have now been constructed though?

Your best bet is to take some Application style photos (front, back and both sides) with you in kit and speak to your clans Ruus'alor about placing them in "Pre-App". This is where you will get the best feedback on any final changes required before being ready to submit for Official approval.

I look forward to seeing you getting your stripes being so close already

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Just a little long on the torso, matter of an inch or so, just to lift the ab out from being stuck under the belts. Trousers may need a little tailoring. Otherwise, very, very nice, beautiful shaping on the torso plating.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Just a little long on the torso, matter of an inch or so, just to lift the ab out from being stuck under the belts. Trousers may need a little tailoring. Otherwise, very, very nice, beautiful shaping on the torso plating.

Thank you for the feedback!  Do you mean the girth belt is too long?  It is the same color as my vest, so that may be what you are referring to.  I can trim the girth belt, or wear it higher under the vest.

For my pants, I am prior military, so I can refrain from blousing them at the top of my boots.  Or it could be the position I am standing?

Thank you again for your help!

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:39 PM »
I believe Kris is referring to the Ab plate itself. It is normally sized such that it doesn't go under the soft parts. So it may just need the bottom edge trimming to bring it up.

In regards to the trousers I believe it's the bagginess around the knee plates/top of the boots

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!