Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kerr's Work Log- 3D printed helmet- Finished! 31-10-16

• 14 Replies

Jon Kerr

• ...wannabe Mandalorian.
Hi all!

Completely new to the world of prop building/cosplay so be gentle.

I've recently started a build of a Mando helmet, 3D printing the component parts. Here's my progress so far.

Unfortunately the size is a bit off (its way too big!) but it was difficult to tell without doing a prototype first. Eventually I'll print another at 80% scale of the first which should be perfect.

Since the scale is off- I might turn this into Boba Fett (and dremel out the dent) and keep it as a display-only rather than proper wearable.

Next steps:
-Finish applying and sanding with car body filler (bondo equivalent).
-Undercoat using High-build primer
-Paint!

What do you think?

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2016, 04:20 AM by Jon Kerr » Logged
Thanks,
Jon

Check out my BB-8 build here: http://www.BB8awakens.com

Yogi

Re: Kerr's Work Log- 3D printed helmet
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2016, 10:41 AM »
I have a huge head, I might be interested in buying your "way too large" prototype. Might be just right for me. Lemme know if you want to sell.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2016, 11:54 AM »
you could take advantage of the space in your bucket and put some electronics in it... couple of fans, servo and LED's for the range finder, batteries, voice amplifier, LED's in the back vent, el wire around the visor... i've even seen folk put bluetooth in their helmets so they can answer the phone or listen to music lol. with so many possibilities that extra space won't last long especially if you use a proper helmet liner as well. ;)

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Could make a mould of that puppy and help out the larger noggin'd vode with their size of lid.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Jon Kerr

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2016, 04:19 AM »
Managed to finish the helmet this weekend- just in time for the "trick'or'treat"ers.
First helmet so keen to know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Jon

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Kerr's Work Log- 3D printed helmet- Finished! 31-10-16
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2016, 04:28 AM »
This would be one of those great Niabi thumbs up moment. I am impressed. Kudos Vod! And the helmets not too terribly oversized you might consider printing at 85-90% scale as I believe 80 might end up a bit small. I printed some gaunts for my mom recently at 75% men's scale of April Storms male Deathwatch and my 9 year old could have worn them and she is a rail of a thing. What printer are you printing on by the way?

QMU#084

Jon Kerr

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2016, 05:36 AM »
This would be one of those great Niabi thumbs up moment. I am impressed. Kudos Vod! And the helmets not too terribly oversized you might consider printing at 85-90% scale as I believe 80 might end up a bit small. I printed some gaunts for my mom recently at 75% men's scale of April Storms male Deathwatch and my 9 year old could have worn them and she is a rail of a thing. What printer are you printing on by the way?

Thanks for the kind words!

You're right. Now it's painted it doesnt seem anywhere near as "oversize" as I initially thought. I am a very large bloke (6'4", 250lbs), so it doesn't look so bad on me at all. On a smaller person it's definitely on the large side.

This was printed on an Ultimaker 2+, which kicks out beautiful quality stuff, but honestly the quality was overkill. A friend of mine has just picked up a Tevo Tarantula for around £220 ($350), and is kicking out parts for helmets which are absolutely great. I really think going forward 3D printing will be a much cheaper and easier option for most costumers!

Thanks,
Jon

Yogi

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2016, 09:47 AM »
 I think its the perfect size, me and you are close to the same size (6'3, 280ish) and you have to remember once you get on all of the layers and armor it won't look nearly as big.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2016, 05:23 PM »
Holy cow, that's a transformation!!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Jon Kerr

« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Holy cow, that's a transformation!!

Thanks very much! :)

Thanks,
Jon

Werde

« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2016, 02:19 PM »
This is super awesome, and it gives me hope for the future since I know you can scale down templates. It may be possible that one day I can finally print a helmet that will be the perfect size for me (currently wearing a Owlette kids helmet haha)

How long did the full print take, and how much material did it end up using (spools or otherwise)?

Jon Kerr

« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2016, 07:26 AM »
This is super awesome, and it gives me hope for the future since I know you can scale down templates. It may be possible that one day I can finally print a helmet that will be the perfect size for me (currently wearing a Owlette kids helmet haha)

How long did the full print take, and how much material did it end up using (spools or otherwise)?

I'm planning to get my own 3D printer soon (I'm lucky enough at the moment to have limited access to one at work. Once I do, I'm more than happy to print scaled helmet parts for any Mercs, providing they cover costs etc.

To give you an idea- the helmet above (which is 1.4 scale) took 200 hours and approx 1kg-1.5kg of material (which equates to around £25, or $40). Scaling the helmet down dramatically decrease the time and material cost. Some of that material cost was due to failed prints etc which is fairly common for various reasons.

Thanks,
Jon

Werde

« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2016, 08:09 AM »
I'm planning to get my own 3D printer soon (I'm lucky enough at the moment to have limited access to one at work. Once I do, I'm more than happy to print scaled helmet parts for any Mercs, providing they cover costs etc.

To give you an idea- the helmet above (which is 1.4 scale) took 200 hours and approx 1kg-1.5kg of material (which equates to around £25, or $40). Scaling the helmet down dramatically decrease the time and material cost. Some of that material cost was due to failed prints etc which is fairly common for various reasons.

I will keep an eye out for that then! I don't know if there are 3d files yet for a Night Owl or Sabine helmet yet, but I'll keep an eye out for those too. $40 seems like a steal for materials, I honestly expected it to cost a lot more.

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2016, 03:08 PM »
There are ways to make Pepakura files into 3D files but it takes quite a lot of finagling to get them to co-operate. One of my clanmates actually did print a night owl that was originally a pep helmet.

QMU#084

Jon Kerr

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2017, 01:05 PM »
I'm now pleased to announce that I can start selling 3D printed kits to make these helmets!

I can produce ANY SIZE to match your head- just let me know your head circumference and I will size the helmet to suit.

DIY Kit of parts= £100 (including acrylic laser cut visor)

Assembled, smoothed, ready to paint = £200 (including fitted acrylic visor)

Painted to your colour scheme and weathered £300 (including fitted acrylic visor)

Postage worldwide included.

Thanks,
Jon

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!