Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bfa's soft wares

• 7 Replies

Bfahome

• I'm sure it will all work out in the end!
Bfa's soft wares
« on: Feb 19, 2016, 10:27 PM »
haha JOKES

Got some nice coveralls from Amazon to use as my flight suit:

(with bonus pizza box gauntlet)

(it's so clean and shiny, weathering it to look like it's been through a few explosions is gonna be F-U-N)

I've already removed the seat pockets, but probably won't bother with the breast pockets because those'll be covered by the vest and armor anyway.

Speaking of which, I'm trying to nail down a decent vest material.  I like the idea of a dark pleather to contrast with the flight suit.  On the other hand, I hear that doesn't breathe well and can get hot.  On the other other hand, I live in Maine, where the weather can be rather cold anyway.  At the very least I know I'll want tabs to attach the shoulder bells, and probably have velcro or clips on the side for ease of changing.

I also need to figure out what material I'll be using because I was thinking that instead of using straps to attach my shin and thigh armor I could make a sort of "sleeve" that would wrap all the way around my leg.  I think it would help contain any bagginess in the flight suit and keep the armor in place better.

Belts.  I need to figure out belts.  I'll need a holster for my pistol, so there's at least one belt.  I can probably put some pouches around the unused space, maybe with a few other doodads for the sake of variety.  Girth belt is the other one, then, and I'll need to think about that some time.

I also need a material for a kama, since I want a short one of those around the back of my belt.  That shouldn't be a big worry, though.

Not sure if I'll need a neck seal, since the collar of the coveralls/flight suit comes up to my jaw when popped up.  Combined with my helmet (in its current WIP stage, at least) it seems like it'll cover the skin on my neck pretty well.  I'll need to see how the helmet sits when it's finished, though.

Here are my boots, too:

They have zippers on both sides of the "tongue", but the zippers are black.  Do they need to be covered?  I've seen conflicting info on if zippers can be exposed as long as they match in color or if they must be covered.  I'm already thinking of a way to wrap a piece of armor all the way around the boot, so I'd like to know how far it needs to go.

[full current design in planning topic]

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Bfa's soft wares
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:30 AM »
If your collar completely covers your neck you can skip the neck seal, and the zippers on the boots should be covered up somehow. Not necessarily by armor, but even a little fabric flap will do. Good finds!

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Bfahome

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11:20 PM »
Alright, thanks for the clarification.  I liked the idea of armor going around the foot anyway, so that'll be my plan.  Here's a cardstock template of the added area sitting with the generic Jango foot plate:

I think I'll combine them into one piece once both pieces are cut and shaped properly, I just need to decide if I'm going to have it solid all the way around or have it clip in the back or on the side or something.  If not I need the top big enough for my foot to fit through.

For the shin sleeves I've also been thinking of making something like soccer shin guards, with it extending around my ankle into the shoe with a strap under my foot.  This way there'll be continuity between the shin and boots, and any bagginess of the coveralls' bottoms won't be an issue.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2016, 12:10 AM »
With all the armor around the foot, just be sure you can still walk and move your feet  :P other than that, it looks like you're off to a great start!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Bfahome

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2016, 02:49 PM »
Hm, yes, good point.  I may need to reconsider.

Bfahome

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2019, 11:34 PM »
Hey this is happening too.

Found some cheap boots off amazon that I like a lot better than the other ones.  Plus those have seen too much actual use, both in the real world and as part of a more recent Kylo Ren costume.

The one issue is that there's a zipper down the back, so I'll have to figure a way to disguise that somehow.  If you saw my question in the Q&A forum you'll recognize that these are different than those ones, and that's because those didn't fit properly, so I had to find some that did; I needed a size 12 wide in women's rather than just a 12.  Would've been a lot easier if there were any of these boots in men's sizes that weren't like $100+.  Luckily those had free returns so the only thing I lost was a tiny bit of time, and it's not like I was making any other progress in that time anyway.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Could you create a flap to cover the zipper on the back? Or you could do wraps/spats to cover that as well!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Bfahome

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2019, 11:18 PM »
Could you create a flap to cover the zipper on the back? Or you could do wraps/spats to cover that as well!
Yeah depending on how I end up doing the armor and accessories I might either make a velcro flap to cover it, or I might just completely seal it with a thin strip if I can get my foot in without unzipping it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!