Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Draceline - Helmet scratchbuild WIP

• 49 Replies

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
Draceline - Helmet scratchbuild WIP
« on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:00 AM »
So, for my first helmet, I am planning on a scratch build. I'm on a relatively small income, so I'm getting supplies as I can afford them. A prebuilt helmet is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

So, I have been digging through the forums and have decided that for my build I would like either a classic Fett style Mando helmet, or a Night Owl. I'm currently trying to decide how I want to proceed; whether I should do a Pepakura build or if I should scale the WOF template down.

Also, in my digging, I found a Pep file for a Night Owl that was originally intended for EVA foam. Would it be entirely crazy to attempt to use this template to build a 3mm Sintra helmet? It has far fewer cuts than a normal Pepakura project...

I found said Pep here!

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Draceline - Helmet scratchbuild WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2016, 01:06 PM »
I've modified pep files for use with 5 gallon buckets so it's not far fetched to change it over to Sintra.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:27 AM »
I built a mockup of the WOF template out of cardboard about a week ago, having managed to print it before I ran out of BLUE ink (stupid printer), and just managed to upload the picture to a sharing site. It doesn't feel right size wise. Too wide, but I need the size for my glasses and my hair. It's just the wrong shape.

I don't believe this will be my final decision. The inside corners of the eyes are too high, so I focus on them, not what's outside, so I've since cut them out. But they will be even higher once there's padding in the helmet. I'm already liable to be looking out the nose....

No. Not good.

Also, the bottom edge feels a bit low. I DO have a neck, it just doesn't exactly show here. Again, that would be different with padding, but not by much. I had the dome supports taped inside the lower section, so it was already taken up a little.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:49 AM »
That's a bit large on you Vod. You could almost wear it as a tent.

QMU#084

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2016, 02:01 AM »
That's a bit large on you Vod. You could almost wear it as a tent.

That was my thought....it was a no.

But glasses....glasses are a pain.

Bowfanny

« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2016, 02:08 AM »
That was my thought....it was a no.

But glasses....glasses are a pain.
From our other conversation your ability to create costumes will come in handy. Best way I've found is measure your head around your glasses then divide by 3.14 to get diameter with glasses. Then add half inch to inch to get a decent width for your head. Shoulder armor will bulk you out enough that the width can be slightly bigger than half your shoulder width and still look fine in armor.

QMU#084

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2016, 02:20 AM »
From our other conversation your ability to create costumes will come in handy. Best way I've found is measure your head around your glasses then divide by 3.14 to get diameter with glasses. Then add half inch to inch to get a decent width for your head. Shoulder armor will bulk you out enough that the width can be slightly bigger than half your shoulder width and still look fine in armor.

Wow... Why did I not think of that?? My head has been out of the game apparently. No pun intended.

Math. I haven't mathed properly for a diameter of a circle in a while... maybe thats why. I've gotten used to circumference measurements being more important.

I'll do that next time I dig out my tape measure.

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2016, 03:24 AM »
Wow... Why did I not think of that?? My head has been out of the game apparently. No pun intended.

Math. I haven't mathed properly for a diameter of a circle in a while... maybe thats why. I've gotten used to circumference measurements being more important.

I'll do that next time I dig out my tape measure.
Over 20 helmet builds Vod, I've only messed up once, and learned my lesson!

QMU#084

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2016, 03:16 PM »

Alright, so counting my glasses, but not my ponytail (I'll braid it), I measured a 24 inch circumference exactly. So, divided by pi, roughly 7.6 inches. Add an inch to an inch and a half for 8.6 to 9 inches.

Ideally I know the measurements will be different back to front than they are side to side, but this is the best I can do with the information you gave me, Bow. I'm not up to doing the specifics of the oval shape right now.

Where do I go from here?

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2016, 03:23 PM by Draceline » Logged

Bowfanny

« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2016, 03:44 PM »
Alright, so counting my glasses, but not my ponytail (I'll braid it), I measured a 24 inch circumference exactly. So, divided by pi, roughly 7.6 inches. Add an inch to an inch and a half for 8.6 to 9 inches.

Ideally I know the measurements will be different back to front than they are side to side, but this is the best I can do with the information you gave me, Bow. I'm not up to doing the specifics of the oval shape right now.

Where do I go from here?
Easily enough you scale the pep helmet to the width you found. The front to back measurements will adjust when the scale for the side measurements. It works.

QMU#084

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:57 PM »
Good to know. I was having trouble with the scaling on anything else I worked on. I'm not used to millimeters. I'm also running Pepakura designer on a MacBook Pro through wineskin, so everything works a little wonky anyway.

Thanks for the help!

Bowfanny

« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Oya Vod. Also a nice tip is if you have an IPhone there's an app called Carpenters Helper Lite that converts the mm to inches for me lol

QMU#084

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:48 PM »
These aren't the Droids you're looking for. :P No iPhone here, but I've got another utility that does the same thing on my LG phone. It's still a pain going back and forth, but doable.

No, my issue stemmed more from trying to envision my own dimensions in millimeters without being able to have an example with known proportions right in front of me. I'm a visual learner I suppose.

Hopefully I can get ink this weekend.

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2016, 11:37 PM »
Lol droids

QMU#084

Verco Nuhla

• Proud Proprietor of the Rusty Kyr'bes
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2016, 06:09 PM »
I will say, from my single failure at a WOF scratchbuild, be very careful if you go with fiberglass and bondo. My issue was that I didnt spread it evenly enough, and I also had issues with finding bubbles when I was sanding. I was also a fool and didn't always have the proper supports inside the bucket while I was layering the 'glass, so it warped and ended up a wee bit lopsided. Not trying to discourage you from a scratch-build, just be careful and learn from my mistakes lol

I do like the Night Owl helmet as well, if the WOF build doesn't turn out right then the simplified Night Owl would look killer with your kit's color scheme. I might be buying my official bucket but I love a good scratch-build!

(Also, ultimate props for the Trigun shirt in your pic. Love it!!!)

"Hastaale bat norac n'ijaat be kad'verde."
"Scars on the back are a swordsman's shame."

Character Story, Vol. 1- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110135.0
Character Story, Vol. 2 (ACTIVE)- https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=150675.0
Writers Bloc #014

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!