Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

GardenGeek's soft part WIP

• 43 Replies

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
GardenGeek's soft part WIP
« on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:20 AM »
After almost a year of stalking the forms Im finally starting my WIPs....

First I made my flightsuit (not pictured) and finished my vest, and then remade the it when I wasn't happy with it the first time.

Cloak- made with a heavy muslin and dyed and then bleached. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out.

Girthbelt-made from cotton I want to say piping. I dyed it to match the cloak. I didn't want the harshness of the lines of the vest to be too much for how organic the cloak is, so the girth belt is a little bit of both.

My belt is in the works- pouches are made. This is the preliminary sketch. I was a little worried that it was starting to look too steampunk, but I'm thinking it will be alright.

I appreciate any feedback :)

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: GardenGeek's soft part WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:10 AM »
Everything looks amazing vod!  I especially love your cape, it's really really pretty :)  Belt design looks good, it doesn't feel too steampunky at all, don't worry :)

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

GardenGeek

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Thank you! My cape has received some weathering since the picture- no dirt yet, just started to tatter the bottom and stress the fabric.

I did get the belt cut out last night, so will be getting a hand riveting it together soon (since the rivet gun hates me). It's all moving fast now :)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:33 PM »
This, I like this. I'mma stick around and see where it goes.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Amazing work.  Your kit is going to be seriously kick-shebs.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

GardenGeek

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2016, 04:29 AM »
Thanks vode! :) this is a labour of love so far-I keep remaking it as I go... I may get OM by the time next year rolls around.

I got the belt all cut out tonight. I'm using upholstery leather that I stripped off of a lazy boy chair at a second hand store. The chair was in too rough of shape for them to sell- so they said yes to me stripping the chair for 2$

So, after I designed the belt, I drew the design on my leather chunks and cut it all out using an exacto knife and quilting square. I used contact cement on the rough side of the leather, folded it and ironed it. Once it cooled the contact cement was dried and its stiff leather that I'm loving the look of :)

Riveting tomorrow :)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Hehehe nice work. Scavenging is the best way to get stuff :D

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2016, 08:27 AM »
Great use of materials vod!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2016, 05:59 PM »
I'm impressed! This is lovely. Can I ask what pattern you used for the vest? If you used a pattern that is. The one I have just isn't working the way I want it to. It has too much shaping built into the pattern to alter it easily.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

GardenGeek

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:46 AM »
Belt is almost done now, pics to follow.

I'm impressed! This is lovely. Can I ask what pattern you used for the vest? If you used a pattern that is. The one I have just isn't working the way I want it to. It has too much shaping built into the pattern to alter it easily.

Unfortunately- I'm not a pattern person. I started out with tracing a shirt to get the basic shape and I did regular darts and a zipper up the side. It was too baggy, so I folded it in half (front) and cut it and the cut off sections to make the princess seams. I based it from some pictures I found online. For the back I did the same but I love the look of a yoke- so I did that part first- then recut the bottom. I added the webbing and clips- as well as a piece of boning on each side in the front to help the structure.

Update:

The belt base is done! I have pouches to add to the top strap, and a holster to add as well. Hopefully adding pouches on tonight.

And an updated look at the soft parts up to this point- still not sold on the black fabric over the cloak but I think it adds depth. Thoughts?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2016, 02:09 PM »
You're going to make all us non-seamstresses feel inadequate lololol

If your hard parts turn out half as good as this stuff you're going to have an extraordinary kit, vod!

Naritir Ka'ra

• If at first you don't succeed... reload.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Absolutely stunning!! I love how your belt turned out.

MMCC #1755 | Invasions: 10
BOMB #57 | PMS #8 | MLCS #2 | WB #13 | VABS | MA #175 | MACK #41 | MTS #108 | MARS #66 | GOMOL #28 | MirShebs #16 | Wrang #3

I'll sign autographs, after the smoke clears.
Mk01 OM 4/5/17
F: naritir T: @naritir_kara IG: naritir
Story

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2016, 02:26 PM »
So much awesome to be seen here, keep it up vod!

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2016, 01:02 AM »
You're going to make all us non-seamstresses feel inadequate lololol

If your hard parts turn out half as good as this stuff you're going to have an extraordinary kit, vod!

She's making ME feel inadequate. That vest is exactly what I wanted to make for mine and I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do it. But I'm a pattern person. I can alter a lot, but it's so much easier working on somebody else.

That belt looks great! And the black on the cloak does add depth. I'd say make the final decision based on how it looks when you're fully kitted up.

GardenGeek

« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2016, 01:50 AM »
She's making ME feel inadequate. That vest is exactly what I wanted to make for mine and I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do it. But I'm a pattern person. I can alter a lot, but it's so much easier working on somebody else.

Totally not my intention :s I can see what I want in my mind, and then I just...figure it out. I took picturws though! Just for you :) hopefully its helpful.  I wrote out my steps too- (hopefully you can read my writing) with the steps I followed when I made mine, and some of the things I learned along the way. The entire vest has medium iron in interfacing as well to provide some extra body too. I used bias tape for the edging-

Please PM me if I can help out in any way.

Draceline

• Angel of War
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2016, 02:12 AM »
That is incredibly sweet of you! I didn't mean to make you feel bad either. Sorry. I always forget text lacks inflection, heh :-[

I'm planning on theater design as a major, and I did costumes for the drama program at my previous college, but it was Elizabethan wear that I specialized in (and those bodices are EXTREMELY flat), not mannequin-less princess seams. That's all. It's simply lack of experience. Hence my frustration with the silly pattern I have. LOL. And pattern drafting is tough working by yourself.

This ought to be very helpful. I've always worked best seeing the thing in front of me. This is pretty darn close! Thank you vod. I'll keep you apprised of my progress ;)

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2016, 05:28 AM »
lol, that reads much like my guide to vests would. You've used the exact same pattern I do, and I also fit them by eye rather than measurement.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2016, 08:02 AM »
This is looking fantastic! I love your vest so much!

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

GardenGeek

« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2016, 04:52 AM »

I'm planning on theater design as a major, and I did costumes for the drama program at my previous college, but it was Elizabethan wear that I specialized in (and those bodices are EXTREMELY flat), not mannequin-less princess seams. That's all. It's simply lack of experience. Hence my frustration with the silly pattern I have. LOL. And pattern drafting is tough working by yourself.

This ought to be very helpful. I've always worked best seeing the thing in front of me. This is pretty darn close! Thank you vod. I'll keep you apprised of my progress ;)

I hope it's helpful- I wish I could follow a pattern- and have the patience for really extensive costuming- but I like winging it too much, and I cut a lot of corners :p I like making it work any way I can, with what I have on hand.

lol, that reads much like my guide to vests would. You've used the exact same pattern I do, and I also fit them by eye rather than measurement.

It seems to make more sense to me :) My manaquin is set to my size, but nothing fits the same on Diane as it does on me so I spend a lot of time in front of the mirror accidentally poking myself with pins.  I'm glad someone else works the same way I do!

This is looking fantastic! I love your vest so much!
Thanks Corriban! This is the second time I've made it- the first time was a total wash so I cut it up to make this one :)

UPDATE-
Spending the weekend at my dads on the mainland (and going to an AP) and brought along some projects, including my belt- and managed to get my pouches almost done! I just need to get a decorative closure for them- and attach them to the belt. Going to pick up a alcohol ink set tomorrow to age my rivets as well.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Bias... iron in... Is that English? Just kidding, beautiful work and I love the recycled chair bit: classic. ;)

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2016, 05:41 AM »
What cute little pouches!! I really like the metal hardware with the three big circles (the closure I assume?), and I was just wondering where you got it?

GardenGeek

« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2016, 11:25 AM »
The closures are magnetic purse clasps- available at Michaels or Joanns in sets of two. I covered them with leather strips last night, and will have an ornamental closure overtop.  A fellow mando  riveted my pouches on last night too- I'm pretty excited to say my belt is 90% done :)

EDIT-
What cute little pouches!! I really like the metal hardware with the three big circles (the closure I assume?), and I was just wondering where you got it?
Sorry I just read this again! I got the big metal closure with the circles at fabricland :) it just felt swarzy to me :)

Cy'Mur

• Awards 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2016, 04:59 PM »
Very, very WOW!  You do amazing work. I can't wait to see your kit in troop form.

MMCC                 #1687
S.P.A.R.C.K.        #21
Chrome Dome   #009

Backplate addition
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=127177.0

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2016, 01:31 PM »
Very, very WOW!  You do amazing work. I can't wait to see your kit in troop form.

Ditto!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Figure I better get in on this to watch for progress 8)

It's coming along amazing so far there, GG! I'm loving that belt! ;D I'm excited to see what's coming next!

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!