Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Velcro

• 4 Replies

Aden Banto

• Out of my entire arsenal, fear is my best weapon.
Velcro
« on: Feb 28, 2016, 07:29 PM »
So now I'm about to start attaching the plates to my vest. I've decided to use velcro but I'm not sure of the steps of this process.

Any help would be great

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Velcro
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:16 AM »
Use sew-on Velcro. Sew the loop, or soft, side to the vest. The hook, or hard side, is then glued to the plate. I recommend doing an outline of the plate in Velcro about a 1/4" to 1/2" in from the edge, that way the Velcro isn't seen, and holds the plate in such a way that it doesn't pull away from the vest leaving gaps.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2016, 10:53 AM »
Use sew-on Velcro. Sew the loop, or soft, side to the vest. The hook, or hard side, is then glued to the plate. I recommend doing an outline of the plate in Velcro about a 1/4" to 1/2" in from the edge, that way the Velcro isn't seen, and holds the plate in such a way that it doesn't pull away from the vest leaving gaps.

Can I ask a silly question? I'm just wondering about putting the loop side on the plates instead of the vest. I've had issues in the past with the hook side grabbing onto fabric and leaving fuzzy areas where it grabbed. Is the bond stronger with the hook side on the plates? From what I've seen of my clan the plates don't come off the vest too often, so this might not really be an issue anyway...

Sorry for the hijack, Aden... The question just popped into my head as I was reading your question and Ralin's answer...

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2016, 12:06 PM »
I put the hook sides on the plates, and loop part on the vest.

Most people use the sew-on Velcro, but I've had good luck with the iron-on.  I do not recommend that you use the peel-n-stick Velcro.  One, it' won't stay on your vest, and two, if you try to sew it on, it will mess up your needle.

To attach it to your plates, I recommend that you use a glue or adhesive and that you attach it directly to your sintra or metal.  If you paint your plates first, and then attach your Velcro, the adhesive will eat through the paint and come right off (learned that one the hard way), so you'll be attaching it to the sintra/metal directly anyway.

After attaching your Velcro, put tape over it for priming/painting. No one will see it anyway.  I place the Velcro hooks about -" in from the edge of the plates and then place the loops on the vest based on placement.

I think the best option is to put the hooks on the plates rather than the vest.  One thing to consider is that if you put the hooks on the vest, when you go to wash it, the hooks are going to grab anything they can when they're in the washing machine and dryer, and you don't want that.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2016, 04:32 PM »
I think the best option is to put the hooks on the plates rather than the vest.  One thing to consider is that if you put the hooks on the vest, when you go to wash it, the hooks are going to grab anything they can when they're in the washing machine and dryer, and you don't want that.

^^ This.  I actually did use a little bit of hook velcro on the back of my vest (I ran out of the loop, and was impatient)... But I'm going to have to switch it soon, because like Vraeden said, it grabs everything!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!