Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Navik Sh'vaah - Mandalorian Warden

• 122 Replies

Akiva Tal'korel

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Navik Sh'vaah - Mandalorian Jailer(???)
« Reply #75 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:47 PM »
This. Entirely this. I posted a full wip that had cats in every picture just because they got in the way so much... - Fabric is for lying on. Plastic is for lying on. Metal is for lying on. Trophies are for chewing on. Kit sorted.

Your cat is cute. I suppose I should congratulate you on your progress plate cutting, but you have a cute cat. Cat!
Yep yep yep. That's Familiar. Also everything is a toy. Patterning paper is a toy. Metal straight-edge ruler is a toy. My hand doing anything work-related is a toy. Box cutter? ALSO A TOY. NO. CAT. NO.

He is cute though. He's a monster and he has me whipped, but he is cute.... (also got the plates sanded today. Dad has more sintra apparently so that'll save me some money.)

Train your sons to be strong, and your daughters to be stronger.

Ojishe - Chiss Post-Imperial Build: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=197869.0

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Verco Nuhla

• Proud Proprietor of the Rusty Kyr'bes
« Reply #76 on: Sep 20, 2016, 08:29 PM »
Probably why I don't have a cat, they'd drive me absolutely bonkers lol but good to see there's progress being made despite feline shenanigans

"Hastaale bat norac n'ijaat be kad'verde."
"Scars on the back are a swordsman's shame."

Character Story, Vol. 1- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110135.0
Character Story, Vol. 2 (ACTIVE)- https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=150675.0
Writers Bloc #014

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #77 on: Sep 20, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Probably why I don't have a cat, they'd drive me absolutely bonkers lol but good to see there's progress being made despite feline shenanigans
Haha, yup! I'll probably start forming the plates tomorrow (gonna cover up any imperfections or cuts with bondo -after- they're shaped).

Ojishe - Chiss Post-Imperial Build: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=197869.0

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #78 on: Sep 24, 2016, 09:27 PM »
I've been working, promise! Plates are all formed, and my parents will be coming by with more sintra tomorrow so I can make my shin and back plates. Will form those and bondo out any imperfections like cuts or nicks, etc. Then it'll be time to buy paint! Pics soon.

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #79 on: Oct 04, 2016, 03:58 PM »
Been a little bit, time for an update! I'm feeling the time crunch, but at the same time I think the toughest parts are now behind me (mostly), and I can get to the fun parts like painting, attaching greebs, and making weapons!

Torso armor! Shaped, sanded, bondo'd, the whole shebang. Yes, those are my old Akiva shoulders. Gonna re-use 'em and then have some bicep armor. No chest diamond because I somehow lost it???? and had to make a new on. I got one now. It's all gravy.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14572169_10207807520929339_109027566045432339_n.jpg?oh=051d2e32d3c1d2405718e023d993b350&oe=586B0D1B

Leg armor! Thigh, knee, and shin specifically. I guess technically this makes this a heavy armor kit? Makes sense, though, considering the character. I'm tempted to make the corners of the knee plates more rounded than they are, not sure yet.

Back armor! The first ever! I did segment it a little bit because.. mobility and I wanted to, haha. The fit feels right to me (the bottom plate ends about at the base of my spine, I'm still able to bend backwards though not as much as normal because of the plate), so I'm gonna roll with it.

I do have all my greeblies ready to go, as well as the armor plates for my taser gauntlet (I have a knuckle plate and a hand plate that I'll probably join together with wires so the 'current' will go to all the 'points'). Gauntlets I had to make some serious adjustments on though, they're presently sitting and curing. The top half was meant to have a very sharp, 90 degree angle on either side, but when I bondo'd it I didn't want to risk breaking the piece and stuff and so it ended up at a less steep angle, which meant I couldn't use my old gauntlet halves. So I made some new ones.. which then also didn't fit. So I made some spacers, slapped some bondo on 'em, and will sand tomorrow. They won't be the prettiest, but they'll do.

Also got my loincloth cut (you don't have to have a kama if you don't have a cod piece, right? I know a loincloth can be in place of a cod, but do you -have- to pair it with a kama for it to be approvable?), as well as my girth belt. Gonna use an old cheap WalMart belt I bought for the ammo belt (loincloth will cover the buckle and holes).

To do still:

1. Prime and paint all pieces (all paint should be here by Friday, YAY).
2. Purchase EL wire for stun batons/shock whip.
3. Purchase PVC pipe and other necessary pieces to make the above.
4. Purchase ammo pouches; make a pouch to fit phone.
5. Purchase black leggings.
6. Attach all armor pieces to vest/put strapping on all pieces.
(Optional for time)7. Purchase zabrak horns and face paint (surprise, this Mando is a Zabrak :D).

I'd like to have this done for our local zoo troop on the 22/23 of Oct, but we'll see how time goes. At this rate it'll probably just squeak by in time for Halloween.

EDIT: I think Facebook messed up, because I have -no- idea what that black and white picture was, or where it came from. So there's a link to the leg armor. ???? Facebook r u okay????

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2016, 04:58 PM by Akiva Tal'korel » Logged

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Navik Sh'vaah - Mandalorian Warden
« Reply #80 on: Oct 04, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Medium actually :P Heavy tends towards wrap around plating plus even more bits like neck armour.

Chest diamonds do tend to do that. I've spent hours before now hunting down mine when it somehow grows legs and wanders.

Loin cloth does not need to be paired with a kama. However the loin cloth does need to attach underneath the sash/girth.

If the backplate is overlapping the belt/girth/sash then it's too long, if not then roll with it.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #81 on: Oct 04, 2016, 05:01 PM »
Medium actually :P Heavy tends towards wrap around plating plus even more bits like neck armour.

Chest diamonds do tend to do that. I've spent hours before now hunting down mine when it somehow grows legs and wanders.

Loin cloth does not need to be paired with a kama. However the loin cloth does need to attach underneath the sash/girth.

If the backplate is overlapping the belt/girth/sash then it's too long, if not then roll with it.
Medium then~ All the same, definitely the most number of plates I've ever had on a kit!

The same thing happened to a small circular piece of mine that was gonna cover a portable phone charger.. so I just used the top to a little paint dish that fit. We'll work with it.

Really? I could've sworn I've seen some folks with kama/loincloths that are looped around the ammo belt (where the belt is threaded through), but if that's not approvable then I'll have to just fill the belt holes. Are visible belt buckles acceptable, provided they're painted black? (Trying to minimize spending where I can because paint was really pricy lol.)

Hmm. I should be good then on the back plate. Guess once I do a test fit to figure out velcro placements I'll know for certain. Thanks!

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #82 on: Oct 04, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Buckles are fine on show providing they're not a gaudy plastic colour :P Black or metallics will be fine. The holes may also be good as they are - post a pic.

I have 3 belts - my cod/loin is on the same belt as my thigh strapping and that goes on first, then my girth belt and ammo belt go over the top so all the straps and such are hidden.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #83 on: Oct 04, 2016, 07:20 PM »
Buckles are fine on show providing they're not a gaudy plastic colour :P Black or metallics will be fine. The holes may also be good as they are - post a pic.

I have 3 belts - my cod/loin is on the same belt as my thigh strapping and that goes on first, then my girth belt and ammo belt go over the top so all the straps and such are hidden.
It's a metallic silver, so cool! Here's a picture of the holes.

I hadn't considered a separate belt for thigh strapping, but that seems like it'd be helpful to have, in addition to having strapping that wraps around the thigh. Where is easier to find that stuff, a sewing store or a place like Home Depot?

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Kris Jasra

« Reply #84 on: Oct 05, 2016, 06:26 AM »
My first ever strapping for my thighs and shins was made by cutting up old belts from a charity shop (goodwill store?). Since then I've got my leather from a fabric and craft store we have in the UK, so probably anything similar to that may be worth looking into. I think there's a shop called Tandy Leather over in the US.

Belts like that are fine, when I used one like that I simply had a couple of my pouches towards the front - they covered the excess holes on one side and kept the excess strap from dangling on the other side.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #85 on: Oct 05, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Tandy Leather can be a bit expensive, though.  Check on Amazon, or search for local leatherworking shops. Just make sure to keep the Safe Search ON!  :o

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #86 on: Oct 06, 2016, 05:24 PM »
MOAR PICS, MOAR PICS \o/

WIP of my taser plate. This goes on the back of my right hand. For the taser points, I cut plastic beads roughly in half (more like 1/3 vs. 2/3rds), sanded them so paint would stick later, and glued 'em on. The button on the curved portion is meant to be the on button. (Most of my greeblies I've obtained from old phones or MP3s. SO MANY GOOD BUTTONS.)

My right gauntlet + taser plate. WIP. DON'T FREAK OUT. I know the gauntlet is wonky and looks really loose. It is. I'll be adding padding later. These are meant to be bulkier gauntlets. I still need to add the small transformer on the back of the gaunt, as well as a power pack on the side. I may yet add more greebs to it as well down the line. We'll see.

Just the gauntlet. Again, no padding or greebs yet.. but soon. Soooooon...

Just the taser plate. I'm thinking I'll attach it two separate ways: one with wires to the gauntlet (current's gotta get there somehow!) over the back of my wrist, and then attaching it to my hand by way of having one strap go around the underside where my fingers and palm meet, and then around behind my thumb so it doesn't slide around.

FACEBOOK WHAT IS GOING ON. Or maybe it's tinypic. Every so often it makes one of my pictures into something that I definitely didn't take.. it's a little weird. Anyway, it was a close-up of the taser plate.

And then there's this. Still a WIP, but it's my pride and joy already. My comms/datapad gauntlet, AKA my left one. I made a phone case out of some sintra for my old phone, slapped some greebs on it, and then used industrial velcro to attach it to the gauntlet itself. I have a holoprojector towards the wrist that I made from a camera lens from-- you guessed it-- another old phone, sitting on an MP3 player from days of yore. Gonna add more buttons and such to that too, worry not. And then on the side a still-WIP case for the portable charger. I need to attach it and make it longer to cover the rest of the charger (and probably the USB cable too, yes?).

HOORAY. PROGRESS. This weekend I'm hoping to buy new vest fabric and make the remaining soft parts (gonna buy that batik I liked.. life's too short. Get the cool fabric), as well as some primer, finish attaching greebs, and if all goes well, order my ammo pouches and EL wire. And some more PVC. We'll see when my paycheck gets here, lel.

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #87 on: Oct 14, 2016, 06:59 PM »
Sorry for the radio silence lately! I have to commute back to my hometown four days a week to help with some construction the family business, which doesn't leave me as much time for work as I used to have! That being said, I did get some progress made!

I remade my vest. Completely. It took three tries (that is, I cut my pattern, tried it once, modified the pattern, tried again, then modified it a third time before just making note of extra adjustments) but I got it! Point is amazing, but I failed to listed to his ever-wise step of making a mug of tea. That's probably why I got it so mussed up before rofl. But this vest fits so amazingly. It's snug but still comfortable, sturdy (I used a quilt solid for the lining instead of just batting), crisp, and best of all, I have a pretty flat silhouette. I'll see if I need to modify my chest pieces later.

My EL wire is gonna be here tonight, so I'll probably edit this post once it arrives. :D

EDIT: It's heeeeere! I love Amazon Prime. o uo I got three of these bad boys, all in blue as that seems to be the color for stun/shock in SW. Gonna make a Home Depot/Joann/WalMart trip on Sunday for the following:

1. Primer and clear coat.
2. PVC pieces to make the batons/shock whip.
3. Padding for helmet (speaking of that-- it's an NME, not sure if I want to use the viewfinder, but would just superglueing the ears on be a viable option?).
4. Strapping for thigh plates and kama (because I have enough fabric now to make both, yay!).

Also may go ahead and purchase my prosthetic pieces this weekend too since I finished up a commission today so can now transfer that ~$85 to the bank. IT'S SO CLOSE TO DONE. SO CLOSE.

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2016, 07:28 PM by Akiva Tal'korel » Logged

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48
« Reply #88 on: Oct 14, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Perks to you for being a cat person!  :)

Any who.....For your gaunts are they material all around or are they being held together with elastics?? I couldn't tell from your pic...

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #89 on: Oct 14, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Perks to you for being a cat person!  :)

Any who.....For your gaunts are they material all around or are they being held together with elastics?? I couldn't tell from your pic...
They're sintra all the way around, but there's a spacer in between the top and bottom halves I had to add because they didn't quite fit together the way I wanted. So I put in the sintra spacer and bondo'd over everything.

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Verco Nuhla

• Proud Proprietor of the Rusty Kyr'bes
« Reply #90 on: Oct 14, 2016, 10:16 PM »
Oh lord, so much progress... Lookin' good, vod!

"Hastaale bat norac n'ijaat be kad'verde."
"Scars on the back are a swordsman's shame."

Character Story, Vol. 1- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110135.0
Character Story, Vol. 2 (ACTIVE)- https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=150675.0
Writers Bloc #014

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #91 on: Oct 14, 2016, 10:26 PM »
Oh lord, so much progress... Lookin' good, vod!
Thanks! Glad to see you back :D There's still a good bit left to do, but it's the fun stuff-- weapon-making and painting C:

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #92 on: Oct 16, 2016, 04:10 PM »
So! Ran some errands today, still have a few things left to get, but here are some progress pictures (and some concerns/questions at the bottom):

WIP of one of my batons. I got some PVC to fit around and make an outer core (so I can take this piece here out to change the batteries).

My left gauntlet, padded and nearly done greebling. Need to buy some PVC to cover the charger (the sintra was just too poorly shaped and I'd already superglued it...) but then it'll be done pretty much.

And that's my concern. Granted I'll have a black flightsuit, and the gauntlets will be mostly black (gonna paint the padding too, at least the visible edges). But I'm suddenly concerned that there's too much space. Problem is, I have neither time nor sintra to fix.. and some of these are already superglued down. :/ I'm really hoping it's acceptable and just a wider-style of gauntlet. I don't see anything in the CRL's about spacing between your arm and gauntlet, and again, my flight suit top is black, the padding will be black so... fingers crossed. ;_;

But I've got all the PVC I need to make my weapons, I've glued my ears onto my helmet and cut out necessary padding.. it's getting there.. but time for a late lunch.

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Kris Jasra

« Reply #93 on: Oct 16, 2016, 05:12 PM »
You could add a small sliver of sintra round the rim on the inside. Not enough that it's a hindrance to you wearing it but enough to give the edges some bulk.
It will hide some of the padding and give an older tech appearance as the electronics are clearly taking up more room inside - right?

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #94 on: Oct 16, 2016, 05:23 PM »
You could add a small sliver of sintra round the rim on the inside. Not enough that it's a hindrance to you wearing it but enough to give the edges some bulk.
It will hide some of the padding and give an older tech appearance as the electronics are clearly taking up more room inside - right?

I may try something like that, though with my gloves and flight suit top on this padding is actually too thick. So I might double up on the stuff I used to line my vest and see how -that- goes... but yeah. The... totally functioning electronics .. -tooootally- take up more room on the inside. Yup. Legit. Totes. >_>

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #95 on: Oct 19, 2016, 04:35 PM »
I swear, the theme for this kit is "if things are going smoothly, expect something to go awry shortly after". <_> But I did make some good strides today, just not as much as I wanted.

Most of my pieces have been primed. Several still need sanding (the old shoulder bells particularly, as the primer cracks which tells me something needs fixing), some need more bondo (aaaaaagh it's so hard to sand ;_; Why me), but some are good to go for the first coat of black come Friday (which is my next day off).

WIP pic of the loin cloth. It'll hit about knee length, and I thought it'd be cool to put brown bias tape on the edges, as well as pleat the front. I'm doing the same for my kama, but no pics of that yet because I need to buy more bias tape.

The almost-finished loincloth. Just need to sew the loop in where the belt will go but it's practically done and I need a break to get ready to go out tonight lol. I like the way the pleats came out, and it just has that little extra 'oomph' to make it stand out.

Here's hoping I can get more done Friday and Sunday. Gonna miss my original deadline of this Sat/Sun for sure, but... c'est la vie, I guess. This is what I get for putting it off :'D

As for the stun batons, things are pretty much ready to assemble, but I wanna see if my Dad can't help me when I go into work tomorrow-- I need the slots carved into the part that will cover the EL wire (so it shines through) as well as holes drilled for where the buttons will be. I don't have the tools (I don't think) or the confidence/surety to do some of it so I'll see if he can't help.

That's all for now folks!

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2016, 04:40 PM by Akiva Tal'korel » Logged

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #96 on: Oct 23, 2016, 08:18 PM »
SO MUCH PROGRESS. I CAN SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL. Prepare for pic spam. Today was a painting day.

I took the Yustapir clan logo (in decal form because it's simpler) to put on my left shoulder bell. The river behind the skull will be in ghost chrome, the skull in the color-shifting paint.

The black basecoat all down. I used up both cans of my Alsa paint (that stuff does not go as far as Rustoleum, lemme tell ya! Wider spray is probably why), and bought a can of flat black Rustoleum and it all came out dandy.

The stencil with the back portion cut out.

I also used this piece as the test piece. Went a bit heavy on the ghost chrome so the edges are a bit messy (you'll see). I'll probably correct it a bit to make the lines a bit sharper.

More work on the ghost chrome! I did this in two/three parts really. First coat was the first half of the pieces, then I did the first coat on the rest, then came back for a second coat on all the pieces once they all had one layer down. I wanted to make sure I had enough paint, and even switched up my design to ensure it. Honestly, I like this a lot better. It's simpler, and will let the black shine through too.

More work!

CAN I JUST TAKE A MOMENT TO SHRIEK WITH JOY? YES? OKAY. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

For realsies though, I'm so super happy with how this turned out. Much as I love the flat black, it's gonna be glossy come end of day because that's what Alsa recommends for the basecoat and the mystic, especially the latter for it to show up well and that paint has to be seen. xD But I love this ghost chrome. Wow. Also curious beast investigating new smells.

The chest pieces, shoulder pieces, and bicep armor. Bicep armor will be silver, but I'll probably buy a can of Rustoleum for that since I'm nearly out of ghost chrome. I'll also probably make the chest diamond flat black or straight mystic (though to do that it'll need to be black first) because the square in the middle isn't perfectly aligned.

Leg pieces. You can see there are some places where the paint either bled through or I forgot to mask (whoops), but I'll go back and fix those.

And the back plates! Oh, and one more thing:

My Dad's been helping me with my weapons-- specifically he cut out the slots on the batons, as well as drilling where the button will be. (He also cut one of the pipes because I got lazy and didn't wanna hacksaw it rofl). Thanks Dad!

That's all for now folks. :D More to come Weds! Still waiting to hear back from a vendor on how long her zabrak horns take to ship before I buy any of my makeup or prosthetics.

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #97 on: Oct 26, 2016, 02:34 PM »
Oh those look cool!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Akiva Tal'korel

« Reply #98 on: Oct 26, 2016, 06:55 PM »
Oh those look cool!
Thanks!! I started working on my phone/wallet pouch today (it's almost done, just need a SWarsy closure) and did some cleanup work on the black. Will bring those pieces inside after dinner probably, and start working on masking for the chameleon paint.

I didn't notice this until the other day though, which is that right now, with the black/silver and the lines, my kit is hardcore reminding me of Robbie Reyes's Ghost Rider... xD

TO DO STILL:

1. Assemble weapons. All the pieces are pretty much there, I just need to put them together.
2. Paint weapons.
3. Finish painting armor.
4. Make girth belt.
5. Finish pouch.

But right now, I gotta finish making dinner. Mmmm, burritos...

Official Merc #0513
Mini-Mando #48

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #99 on: Oct 27, 2016, 08:24 AM »
I can see the similarities. ;D
Maybe it was a subconscious thing.  Just need to get an Executioner bucket, and airbrush some flames onto it. ;)

Kit is coming together nicely, makes me look forward to seeing it finished! 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!