Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build planning (WIP Progress thread)

• 7 Replies
First build planning (WIP Progress thread)
« on: Mar 17, 2016, 07:36 PM »
Okay, so I've decided to build a Mandalorian outfit.
Basic colour scheme is going to be black on black with red accents. In my few mock ups the black on black obviously doesnt show that well, i'm hoping in reality it will work a lot better with the textures of the materials used.

The jet pack can be ignored, I have no plans to add one to the costume. The skirt part I plan on being a continuation of the vest, this will be made of black leather on the outside and some kind or red suede/velvet/alacantra material on the inside. I obviously wont put the red backing on the whole of the vest as it will be too warm and there's no need. only parts that will be visible.
The cape will be the same black leather and red suede combo.

One idea I am playing with is working the mythosaur skull into the cloak by using the same red suade material, making it a double sided backing on the inside of the cloak with the shape cut out of the black leather.

The other idea I'm considering is instead of on the cloak having the skull on the chest like The Punisher. I haven't colored the whole picture, but you get the idea.

So there's my initial thinking, would be great to get some feedback, ideas, suggestions, criticism etc.

One question I wanted to as is in regard to custom made helmets, I plan on a traditional Boba Fett style helmet, but I prefer the circular style ear pieces from the stalker style helmets, is it possible to combine these looks since I don't like the cheeks on the stalker?
I also plan on my character having a more urban style fighter, based in city environments and planets, therefore I feel an antena would be more fitting than a rangefinder.

Okay, thanks again for reading and as I said, would be great to hear thoughts!

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2016, 11:51 AM by KrisNoble » Logged

Mashukir Prudiise

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: First build planning
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2016, 06:56 AM »
I really like the second and the 4th, but black on black doesn't always show up in bad lighting. I'm struggling with that myself right now.  My black and copper armour on a black suit makes me look very blob-like, with no distinctive armour. (I still love it though!)

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Yeah that's my main concern, it's the look I want to go for but I'm willing to come and go a bit with different textures and dark alternatives to full on blackest black. I may switch to a dark grey flights suit, keep the black leather and then figure out a contrasting paint color for the armor.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2016, 04:57 PM »
Well, I made a start. I figure since everyone says the helmet is the hardest I should get it out of the way first.
Got the basics done, been a whole lot of trial and error and I'm sure there will be a lot more.

Main worry at the moment is whether the dome looks too high?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: First build planning (Progress thread)
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2016, 09:55 PM »
As far as black on black goes, both Amoroso and Seltas have excellent all-black kits. I highly recommend checking their work out!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
Re: First build planning (Progress thread)
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2016, 11:20 PM »
Awesome!! Thanks for pointing these builds out to me, both of those look great and are in the same way of thinking as I am planning!

Re: First build planning (WIP Progress thread)
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2016, 12:09 PM »
Okay, so not much updating happened lately, had a set back since I wasn't happy with my helmet and didn't know what to do, more and more I kept thinking "I should have done this or that or the next thing", so I ended up scrapping and starting over. Much better results so far!

No picture of it on my head yet as the wife will need to take one for me, if I'm not stuck at the DMV the whole day today I will be able to crack on with the cheeks and the. It's bondo time!

I've also layed my hands on a set of coveralls which will be the basis of my flight suit. It's not black as I originally planned but instead dark blue, which is making me rethink my color scheme a lot. But it's allready has perfect weathering since I actually wore it to work in for long enough.

And with some of my armor played that I have cut. There's obviously still a bit of refining and trimming to do on those but the general size seems to be okay.

This will most likely be closer to my new color scheme.

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2016, 06:22 PM by KrisNoble » Logged
Re: First build planning (WIP Progress thread)
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2016, 09:19 PM »
**update!**

So the construction part of my helmet is now over! It still obviously needs painted and the visor needs to be added, but super super stoked with the build now!

AND....... I made a weapon, behold the ceremonial blade!!

Still not sure what I'm going to do about putting a hilt on it yet but I'm pleased with my work on the stabby end!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!