Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Chest Display

• 5 Replies
Chest Display
« on: Mar 28, 2016, 11:28 PM »
Hi everybody! So I took this from a VCR and I wanted input. Should I use it for a chest display or just have none? The numbers are all 8's, but if there's a way to program it with an Arduino Uno than I might be able to do it.

Fi-8015

• Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Chest Display
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2016, 04:06 AM »
I would say there isn't a problem using this for a chest display, as long as the letters aren't used.
I'm sure it's possible to use an arduino to control them, if you can figure out what kind of driver is used inside, because it seems to me, that there isn't a pin for each segment.

Helmets for Sale in the Trading Station

electriFi - Mando Electronics English / German
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2016, 10:52 AM »
I would say there isn't a problem using this for a chest display, as long as the letters aren't used.
I'm sure it's possible to use an arduino to control them, if you can figure out what kind of driver is used inside, because it seems to me, that there isn't a pin for each segment.
I guess I wouldn't really be wanting to carry my arduino around every time I troop, so do you think it would look good to use it without the numbers changing, or should I just leave the display off this kit?

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2016, 11:10 AM »
I havent ordered it yet, but I was just going to buy a 3.5 inch digital photo frame and load a bunch of "readouts" on in and set it to slideshow. Maybe you could do that.

| Enby. They/them. Please respect pronouns. | Aliit Ori'shya Taldin |

Fi-8015

• Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2016, 01:19 PM »
I guess you can just use it as it is, if you cover all the letters on the right.

Helmets for Sale in the Trading Station

electriFi - Mando Electronics English / German

Lane

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2016, 03:59 AM »
It most likely uses a binary input then decodes it internally. Should be fairly easy to find which pair of leads control each segment. From the photo it looks like six input and four ground. Start with all input and one ground connected and see what lights up. Repeat with each other ground. Then you can test combinations of inputs.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!