Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Acceptable pieces?

• 13 Replies

Simonblackfell

• Facta Non Verba Narir, naasad jorhaa'ir
Acceptable pieces?
« on: Mar 31, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Just wanting some opinions on whether these would be acceptable pieces?
Base layer

Vest backing

Was going to add shoulder epaulets to it to attach the shoulder plates to.

Simon Blackfell
Facta Non Verba
Narir, naasad jorhaa'ir
Deeds Not Words

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
Re: Acceptable pieces?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2016, 04:45 PM »
Lot of pockets on that flight suit vod.

Da'am Keldau

• "Shoot straight and run fast."
  • Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2016, 05:10 PM »
The flight suit will work perfect as long as you can either remove or cover up the pockets on the thighs with armor or a kama. As far as the vest goes, I can't tell what it's made out of but it might not be a sturdy enough material to hold plates in position without slouching away from you. You might be better off spending a few extra bucks and picking up one that is made to order from someone on the forums like Sidi Ren or Xraam Xrati. Both of them have very highly rated products, and I have a Sidi Ren vest that I love.

Simonblackfell

pockets and coverage
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2016, 06:18 PM »
The Vest is a fencing instructor vest so it is fairly sturdy and meant as protective gear. The thing I was worried about was if it was too thick/heavy for comfortable wear. The pockets I intend to cover up with a kama, though I might be considering a gun belt. But was not aware that thigh pockets were an issue? Thought that as long as the zipper pull tabs and such were concealed it was not? This type of flight suit does not have rear pockets at all so did not think the pockets would be a problem. But will be making sure to cover them up anyway as that is the look I was going for.

Simon Blackfell
Facta Non Verba
Narir, naasad jorhaa'ir
Deeds Not Words

Da'am Keldau

Re: pockets and coverage
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2016, 06:34 PM »
The Vest is a fencing instructor vest so it is fairly sturdy and meant as protective gear. The thing I was worried about was if it was too thick/heavy for comfortable wear. The pockets I intend to cover up with a kama, though I might be considering a gun belt. But was not aware that thigh pockets were an issue? Thought that as long as the zipper pull tabs and such were concealed it was not? This type of flight suit does not have rear pockets at all so did not think the pockets would be a problem. But will be making sure to cover them up anyway as that is the look I was going for.

The vest might be too heavy to be comfortable at that point, but I couldn't really say for sure I suppose. As far as the thigh pockets go I guess I'm not sure, I was under the impression from a few other threads that the only style that was really acceptable was the big box looking ones that Boba has, but don't take my word for it.

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2016, 09:58 PM »
Eh, it looks like one of the many flight suits I wear.  Disguise/ cover/ sew up the the pockets, and you'll be fine.

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2016, 10:51 PM »
The flightsuit is fine.  The pockets on the chest will be covered by your vest.

If the pockets on the arms have zippers, you'll need to hide the zippers or just take the whole thing off with a seam ripper (which will take about 5 minutes).

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2016, 12:55 PM »
Pretty much exactly what Vraeden said.  External pockets are ok in some places, but zipper pulls always need to be removed, and the zippers hidden.  The only one's that have to be removed completely are the rear pockets, and the side hip pockets have to be sewn shut.  The only time you may need to actually remove a pocket is if it interferes with a plate that you plan on putting there.

Per CRLs:
External pockets on the seat of the pants must be removed. Internal slit pockets on the hips and slit pockets on the seat of the pants must be hidden, sewn shut, or fully closed so that they donít fall open.

Simonblackfell

« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2016, 02:48 AM »
Thank you for the feedback.

So I was under the correct impression. Ditch and conceal zippers/zipper pulls. The flight suit does not have back pockets or slit pockets of any kind. The thigh pockets have zippers but I will either have them replaced or sewn shut and concealed.

The vest has arrived and I think will work well with a few slight modifications. It is a fencing protective vest so there are slats sewn into the front of it and it has a back zipper. Will be adding the epaulets and a side closure while removing the back zipper/possibly replacing it with another closure. Want to keep the look of the front however as I like the look and feel of the slats. It should be plenty solid to keep the plates in proper place and not sad and droopy.

Will post photos in the next few days.

Simon Blackfell
Facta Non Verba
Narir, naasad jorhaa'ir
Deeds Not Words

Simonblackfell

Photos
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2016, 05:19 PM »

The Flight suit seems to only need a little bit of work. Some fitting and dealing with concealing zippers.

The vest I am going to shorten, sew shut the zipper on the back. Split the side and install a new closure and a few other things.

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2016, 04:39 AM by Simonblackfell » Logged
Simon Blackfell
Facta Non Verba
Narir, naasad jorhaa'ir
Deeds Not Words

Da'am Keldau

« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2016, 08:19 PM »
Not sure if it's just on my end or not, but none of your recent photos are showing up.  :blank:

Simonblackfell

« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2016, 04:43 AM »
Tried to fix the images, any better?

Simon Blackfell
Facta Non Verba
Narir, naasad jorhaa'ir
Deeds Not Words

Da'am Keldau

« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2016, 12:25 PM »
Yessir, it's showing up now! Looks good! When you get the vest trimmed up it should be perfect!

Simonblackfell

« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2016, 12:27 PM »
It has slats sewn into it but I am going to remove those to get a more fitted shape to the vest. Will use those slats for some other projects.

Simon Blackfell
Facta Non Verba
Narir, naasad jorhaa'ir
Deeds Not Words

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!