Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor for pre-teen- possible to build to grow?

• 4 Replies

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
Armor for pre-teen- possible to build to grow?
« on: Aug 31, 2018, 02:10 PM »
I've just finished my 10 yo daughter's first armor set for a local comic-con. She's really excited and is already discussing the two of us working on a more authentic set that she can wear for the next few years. I love the idea of working this together, but I'm concerned about having to replace the armor every 6 months or so as she grows.

I could of course make the armor too big now so she "grows into it" but that'll look dumb now and really just means it might fit in the future, but no guarantees. Does anyone have experience with trying to build plates that will work when your kid will likely to be a foot taller in 3 years? I've been looking at the various female armor types and just not seeing anything that I think will work as she grows. Should we just plan to re-build her armor pieces as needed?

With soft parts, her mother and I are discussing ways we can make things more flexible and build stitches we could take out as needed.

Here's her first kit (hers is the ballet one): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=141947.msg1918431#msg1918431

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Armor for pre-teen- possible to build to grow?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2018, 08:09 AM »
You're not going to cover the rest of her childhood growth with one kit, but you should be able to get two or three years if you make the vest lace-up (thus adjustable) and the plates only a little too big.  You can then just replace specific parts as she grows out of them.  A girth belt or sash is going to be key because as her height shoots up, you can cover the difference at the waist.

There will be wiggle room among many members of the public for the fact that it's armor for a growing kid, and thus it ain't gonna fit perfect.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Oh those are great suggestions, thanks so much! I hadn't even thought about the girth belt helping out there.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2018, 03:14 AM »
So my first kit covered me from about 12-14, so I did get a fair bit of use out of it. The issue that you’re mainly gonna have beside height is how far her chest fills out - I was maybe a C cup at 12 & when I retired my kit I was a G and still using the same plates, which looked horrible. However you should be able to mitigate that to a degree by having a lace-up vest and being prepared to make new chest plates. Her shoulders may also get wider (mine did, but my whole family have fairly wide shoulders) as she grows also, which may throw her bucket sizing & shoulder plates off.

QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Some of our local members are making legacy style plated for their kids, the idea being you can adjust the rigging to show more plate/add extra plates to cover a fair amount of growing, and that the exact spacing, sizing and form fitting isn't as precise as with modern (boba) styles.

« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2018, 09:25 PM by dottynotdipsy » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!