Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vellemen voice changer help.

• 14 Replies

arc97

Vellemen voice changer help.
« on: Apr 06, 2016, 11:17 PM »
So I got a vellemen voice changer and I hooked it up to an adafruit 20w amp. When I turn on the voice changer, it starts clicking through the speakers. Everything looks hooked up right, and I plugged my phone onto the headphone jack of the amp and it works. Help plz!

arc97

Re: Vellemen voice changer help.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2016, 06:09 PM »
Found fix to that problem: dying battery. Now new problem. The mic won't pick up anything  :(

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Found fix to that problem: dying battery. Now new problem. The mic won't pick up anything  :(

What kind of mic are you using?

arc97

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2016, 02:29 PM »
It's the one that came with the kit

arc97

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2016, 01:15 PM »
So following some advice, I hooked an amped mic (MAX4466) in place of the normal microphone. the mic is powered by a 3v coin cell. it seems that the mic will not run off the coin cell, however, i can run it fine off the amp's (MAX9744) VDD. When hooked to the voice changer it just gives white noise.

Kando Falco

• the Clan Smith
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Did you adjust the gain on the mic and ensure bellman volume is up?  Also it is super important to  solder the common to both negative terminals on the mic or it will give white noise and nothing else.

arc97

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:09 AM »
Is common ground? So the ground connects to both the battery and voice changer?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:17 AM by arc97 » Logged

Kando Falco

• the Clan Smith
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Commo, ground, negative terminal... Same same

arc97

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:16 PM »
So like this?

Kando Falco

• the Clan Smith
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 07:25 PM »
No that is really not right at all!  Why are you putting a coin battery on the mic! I hope you didn't fry it.  The mic will get everything it needs from the velleman voice amp. Do you still have the oroginal diagram? I can provide it. What kit number are you using?  I am pretty sure I kno why it won't work for you.

Is it this kit?

arc97

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 07:54 PM »
Yes, that kit. I was actually following advice from Mandalore because the voice changer's stock mic wouldn't get any input. He recommended that

Kando Falco

• the Clan Smith
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 08:01 PM »
and did it work?  Did you adjust the microphone potentiometer?

arc97

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 08:07 PM »
It's VERY quiet, and garbled when run off the amp. nothing when run off battery or through the voice changer

Kando Falco

• the Clan Smith
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 08:11 PM »
So you ran the mic right to the amp and skipped the velleman and its low but works? And when you use lose the coin and connect to the velleman you get nothing.  Are you using the provided mic

arc97

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20 PM »
I started with just the amp, speakers, and Vellemen kit. when all was put together, the stock mic wouldn't work. I requested help from Mandalore (who i got the voice changer idea from) and he recommended using the Adafruit amped mics with button cells.  When hooked to and powered by the amp itself, it comes out low. when hooked to the battery it doesn't put out anything, and I'm getting mixed results through the Vellemen, but it's still really quiet and garbled. I've played with all the Pots to see if it changed anything but I'm not getting any difference.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!