Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Spot putty for a rubies two piece seam?

• 4 Replies

stormfet

• Wampa >> Kyrimorut, they/them
Spot putty for a rubies two piece seam?
« on: Sep 09, 2016, 08:53 PM »
So I have been told by multiple people to discard my scratchbuold (too many problems), so I'm gonna pick up a rubies two piece. However, I don't have any bondo but I do have bondo spot putty left over. Can I use that to patch the seam in the two piece rather than bondo?

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Spot putty for a rubies two piece seam?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2016, 09:10 PM »
So I have been told by multiple people to discard my scratchbuold (too many problems), so I'm gonna pick up a rubies two piece. However, I don't have any bondo but I do have bondo spot putty left over. Can I use that to patch the seam in the two piece rather than bondo?
No.

Spot putty is for pin holes, it has not rigidity and would flake off. Show us the scratch built so we can also assess the need for redoing your work.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2016, 12:06 AM »
You can get bondo at any walmart. It isn't very expensive, and you don't need a full size can. Just be sure to apply in layers, not one big glob. I also highly recommend extending the bondo all the way to the brow ridge. Basically creating a whole new dome, this completely eliminates the seam line. Remember, the key is apply, sand, apply, sand, apply, sand,,,,,,,,,

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

stormfet

• Wampa >> Kyrimorut, they/them
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2016, 12:15 AM »
I can post pictures of my helmet, but I've already ordered the two piece. I was just wondering if I had to get another can. Thanks for the help!

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2016, 10:35 AM »
I recommend using fiberglass resin and mat on the inside to help rigidify the seam as well.  I didn't actually use proper fiberglass mat on my J2P, I used drywall tape (the mesh stuff), and it worked well.  Others have used glued-in shims on the inside of the seam too.  Either way you're gonna want to make that seam strong before you bondo, otherwise you WILL eventually get cracks because the plastic is more flexible than the bondo, and if the seam isn't strengthened the front and back may flex differently and bam, crack in the bondo.

Also, the can of fiberglass resin may come in pretty handy for other parts of your kit.  It's useful to have lying around.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!