Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fenruul's Electronics

• 4 Replies

Fenruul

• Blinking lights and pocket sand.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions
Fenruul's Electronics
« on: Apr 08, 2016, 09:43 PM »
I figured I'd keep a tracking thread of what electronics I was integrating into my kit, I hope that's not narcissistic of me.

I'm not entirely experience with electronics, I've had exposure through kits and my father showing me stuff as a kid, but never seriously got into it until a few months ago when I got a Technology Will Save Us DIY speaker kit and made a Raspberry Pi Wifi Lunchbox Speaker using Pi MusicBox. I started messing around with other bits of tech and electronics components since then, but I'm too afraid to stray outside kits and stuff until I start getting much more experience.

That being said, this is what I've got so far.

I started on the electronics integration of my kit with the helmet first, starting last night when I ordered a set of EQDizzle's trooper dual fans and a Microphone-Transducer combination from EternalArmory. That electronics spending bender continued into this morning when I bought a Radio Shack Super Stereo Ear Kit and a cheapo set of folding headphones from Staples. The headphones got gutted, where they were separated and velcroed onto ear level, so not only does it double as an on board speaker system, but it prevents bobblehead and shakes by pressing gently against the ear. It sounds pretty good for cheap shebs headphones, but I could be biased for my own creation.

From there I ran into a problem: after soldering the board, I found it was too frigging big for my helmet, unlike the Velleman set which I've been told can fit inside helmets. Not to mention the fact that I soldered the mics to he respective ends of the board, when I figure I could have soldered them to wire to put on bot sides of the helmet (am I getting that right? I'm still rusty with electronics).
The easiest solution I could come up with was to incorporate it into the pouches I had for my kit, where it could be connected to the helmet speaker wire running down under the vest and through the girth belt and slot, easily hiding the wire and jack from view. I cut a hole in the pouch to let it get better sound, where the side hole can get extra audio and the pouch flap covers it up.

The only immediate issue I have is that the bottom mic rubs up against the pouch, making a squeaky, rubbing noise as I walk. It's not end of the world awful, just a mild irritant.

That's about it for now on actual upgrades. On what I want to do in the future, I plan on integrating a flashing LED into my gauntlets as well as an iFrogz Tadpole speaker under the rise in the gauntlets (which are Galaxies style) to imitate a comm and play sound through. Drumming up other ideas, too,so I'll probably babble on about those later.

If you guys have feedback, I'd love to hear it! I'm wanting as much help as I can to make this kit awesome as well as electronically efficient.

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2016, 12:47 AM by Fenruul » Logged
"That guy who is sometimes around."

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Fenruul's Electronics
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2016, 11:23 PM »
Following for advice as well! Keep up the good work, easy to understand post as well!

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50

Fenruul

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Okay guys, after a few days of waiting and one day thanks to me soldering the chip backwards and relying on my steady hand friend to desolder the board, I have my Larson Scanner completed.

Youtube button's not working for me, so I just have the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wi9wEGAFpg

This WAS going to be the chest lights of my kit, but as one can see, THE BOARD IS HUGE. This will instead be delegated to my Galaxies Gauntlets once they arrive in the mail, which has that cool top slot which looks like it will fit. The kit has a dual mode button switch which toggles between dim and bright and three speeds for each. My favorite for the gauntlets is the medium speed dim, which looks pretty cool in light.

I also had the Velleman Chaser kit... Don't buy it. It may be practically throwaway at 10 bucks, but the kit's instructions are beyond frustrating and only two of the lights worked.

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Sounds like you just had a bad experience with your chaser kit. I've assembled probably 10 of these at this point, and have never had one not work. Perhaps your soldering iron was too hot or you accidentally damaged some of the contacts?

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Fenruul

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2016, 12:23 AM »
Sounds like you just had a bad experience with your chaser kit. I've assembled probably 10 of these at this point, and have never had one not work. Perhaps your soldering iron was too hot or you accidentally damaged some of the contacts?
Quite possible, I was just frustrated with the instructions and the poor packaging. It's too late to go back and try and fix it, but I've gotten myself interested in buying a set of Fettronics in my post-approval V2 build.

Still waiting on the gauntlets for this, but I've gotten in contact with someone about 3d printing a set of Aprilstorm gauntlets with the files I bought from the store, so I'll likely make my electronics integration there since it has a slot for a photo frame and more room for lights and stuff.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!