Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

I made a helmet (scratch homer WIP)

• 11 Replies
I made a helmet (scratch homer WIP)
« on: Apr 28, 2016, 08:30 PM »
So second time lucky...... maybe.

I was getting more and more frustrated with my first helmet attempt so i scrapped it and started again.
Homer bucket and hard hat. its entirely held together with e6000 and feels surprisingly pretty sturdy.

And so that was the easy part! Today is where I have pretty much hit a great big stumbling block....

I gut out my cheeks and and cheek holes, but ill be damned if i can get them all to fit together!!
Do any of you veterans have any tips or insider trade advice on getting the cheek bone parts to fit the hole cut in the helmet?
I have tried bucket material, sintra and card, so far the card is the only one ive managed to make fit, but it obviously lacks the rigidity of the other two options.

So after much huffing and puffing I managed to get the cheeks glued in. It was probably one of the most frustrating experiences of my life!!

And visor cut, in hindsight I wish I had cut the vertical part narrower but what's done is done.

And now, the bondo begins...

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2016, 05:53 PM by KrisNoble » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: I made a helmet (scratch homer WIP)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2016, 11:42 PM »
Looks like I missed the assistance part. Your bondo looks awe sully grey to me though. Could be the buckets trowing me off... It's looking good vod. The cheeks are the worst part of building a kit. Seriously once you master the cheeks on a scratch build helmet the rest of the kit is a breeze in comparison. I've done 6mm Sintra helmet with 6mm cheeks and I can say that was the hardest kit piece I've ever made to this day! Now my clan Alor'ad sports it as his main kit helmet. ;D

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2016, 06:00 AM »
As a first time bondo-er, what colour should it be? The putty in the can itself is grey and the hardener is white.
I kinda just assumed it would still be grey once mixing them together?

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2016, 09:39 AM »
Most hardener is red, so that you can tell when you mix it properly, and you get a salmon-ish color.

That's probably why he was concerned. I've never used any that had white hardener, but it sounds like you did it right.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2016, 12:59 PM »
The bondo brand filler should end up a salmon, but Evercoat is a blueish tint after mixing and I think Marsons is yellow?  There are a few other brands out there that color differently.  Mixing is important, but if it dried in a reasonable amount of time, you are probably ok.

Del'katoan OM#1614  Talon Clan
B.o.B.B. member # 24
Aluminati member #059
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2016, 04:54 PM »
Okay, had me worried for a second there that I was doing something wrong.
This is the stuff that I'm using, it's bondo branded but definitely white hardener.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2016, 05:29 PM »
I haven't ever used the actually putty, i was referencing the body filler for colors, In fact I wasn't aware they even marketed that particular line lol.  I have always used the body filler stuff.  Having said that, it states it is supposed to dry grey/white so you are good to go!

How does it work, and sand?  The company page states it is a little thicker so may be more useful in many applications.  I learned something today, thank you!

Enjoying the build, look forward to seeing more.

Del'katoan OM#1614  Talon Clan
B.o.B.B. member # 24
Aluminati member #059
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2016, 10:28 PM »
Seems to sand no bother actually, again as a first time bondo user that just seemed like the right choice when I looked in the store. It dries to an almost soft plastic-ish texture. Applies easily but dries super fast so you have to work quickly, but I believe that's a characteristic of most of these products. It sands easily enough...... Until you try to get into the nooks and crannies with sandpaper! I would have added another layer and got more pics up today but have had a little personal drama today. The next few days will hopefully be productive again.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:22 AM by KrisNoble » Logged
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 10:33 PM »
So it's been a bit of a slow burn lately with a bunch of other stuff going on in my life recently, but got around to putting some more work in! Bondo and sand, rinse and repeat a few times and also got my Keyslot in at the back!
Pretty pleased with how it's going, I'm gonna hit it with some primer filler tomorrow and see how she looks then.

« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2016, 09:12 PM »
**update**

Proper progress this now!
I thought my helmet was done after I primed it.....

But alas, I wasn't happy with it, I figured since I plan on being a medic my mando would need an antenna of some sort to call in for extractions etc. back to work it was!

After that I didn't like it being lopsided so I fashioned up an ear cap.

And I guess that concludes the construction parts of the helmet!

Super super stoked at this point to see it all coming together! Next steps will be onto my metal later and then the colors and weathering!!

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2016, 05:57 PM »
Looking very cool vod. Can't wait to see how your paint scheme turns out.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Pax

• Pax ex musa. Pax ex arma.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2016, 10:52 PM »
Looks pretty clean and straight.  I'm shocked e6000 is all that's holding it all together, but that stuff is pretty great.  This should look awesome all painted up!  Looking forward to it.

--Pax
"Bic akaan'haastal!"

QMU #038

Dar'gai WIPs
Planning    Build    Weaponry    Buy'ce

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!