Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Late crusader Jet Pack WIP

• 6 Replies

Fitz Kal'ad

• Awards Airmobile brigade member 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
Late crusader Jet Pack WIP
« on: Apr 29, 2016, 02:27 PM »
So didn't even know we had a Jetpack forum until one of our Ruusalor's posted about it today, I see there is a pinned post asking for tutorials so I figured I would put up pics from my Late Crusader Build for posterity:

This is were my LC sat when I app'd for Heavy Assault Brigade:

I've made some major upgrades since then:

but this is about how I "made" the Jetpack. So first I really wanted a jetpack and was told I couldn't do a modern era (jango/bobba one) since I was a Late Crusader (go figure) so I went around looking for something to use to make the base out of. I wanted it light weight and angular so I was hoping to find something that was already a good start. I was going through a thrift store with my 15yr old and he found one of these Batman Tumbler house adventure sets.

First thing I did was remove all the innards and wheel assemblies, Then laid it out and filled it with Expanding foam, I uses a 3 liter soda bottle to create a cavity inside that I'll be able to use in the future to hold other...stuff.

I also snagged 2 rotary ammo barrels off some toy guns I also got from a thrift store to use as the base for the thruster nozzles:

I formed a sheet of 3mm sintra over my existing back plate so that it would have a similar curve to the inside surface of the pack and then glued that to the inside of the pack and trimmed it all around to match. Had to bondo some of the surfaces and do alot of sanding at the top and bottom.

Then it sat around in my shop for months while I tried to figure out how I wanted to mount it to my kit, didn't really like the idea of shoulder straps, then I watched the episode of The Clone Wars when Bo Katan puts the deathwatch jetpack on Obi-Wan and I was like "Mind Blown!".

I added a couple brackets to the upper section of my back plate, and a metal plate to my lower back plate then hooks to the upper inside of the pack and a magnet to the bottom (forgot to get in process pics of that step so here they are now:

And a hinged lid to the top, which evetually will get some attachments added to it:

When installed all of those parts are completely hidden.

Next I started to paint and 3d printed out some new  nozzles for the thruster.

I have since added new Arms (from top to bottom 3d Printed pieces) with Jet thrusters inspired by the Square Enix Bobba toy. I have further plans to add thrusters to my Shnees (I mean after all I need a lot of thrust to move this amount of armor right?)

Just did a photo shoot with the new load out and should have those pics back soon... Still more upgrades in the works!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:30 PM by Fitz Kal'ad » Logged

Sevro

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Late crusader Jet Pack WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2016, 04:02 PM »
Absolutely brilliant! I love seeing transformations of random things like this!

Billy Becker
OM #1668
Ruus'alor
Haran'galaar Clan, San Diego, CA

Fitz Kal'ad

• Awards Airmobile brigade member 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 09:06 PM »
Just got the first couple teasers back form the solo shot. Gotta wait for some invoices to be paid so I can purchase the whole set from the amazing 2point8 studios but these show the whole new arm build with the Jetpack:

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:15 PM »
That is pretty freakin awesome, smart mod from the original piece. I would never have looked at a tumbler and thought jetpack lol.

Flows really really well with your kit too. Nice!

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 05:47 PM »
Damn a Tumbler :D beautiful how some people have such a creative mind :D epic build and those pictures are intense! you definitely inspired me look more to toys etc for my future build :)

'You can mimic a result, but not the creativity'   

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 05:43 PM »
Good grief this is incredible.  Your entire kit is just amazing....  :o

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 10:18 PM »
Wow, what a creative use of the tumbler. 

Gotta love all those angles!  Well done, vod.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!