Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mix's Protector WIP (Approved Official Kit, Brigade Status: Approved 8-2-16)

• 83 Replies

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
So I have already posted my protector bucket over in the helmet section, so
I won't re-post that info here, but this thread will serve as the general work in progress for my protector build.  That said, let's get to it. 

First off, my vest was finished today by my very talented seamstress mother.  Take a look.

Anyways, this kit will take some time because I want to do it right.  Any progress I make will be posted here. 

Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 08:52 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016 EnviroOps
Re: Mix's Protector WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 09:45 PM »
I'm gonna get beat to the punch to protector by a guy in my own clan... (but wait... I think I can slow you down some ;) )

It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

(SHHH!!! I found the secret to getting OM approved!)

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 07:00 AM »
Considering I'm sourcing a ton of my parts from you, yes. Yes, you can.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 07:20 AM »
Two protectors in same clan.....nice
Looking good Mix, what type of paint did you use on your ears, I'd like to redo mine, I like your colour, is it sand or a gold, humbrol?
I'm gonna get beat to the punch to protector by a guy in my own clan... (but wait... I think I can slow you down some ;) )

How far are you along with your build

Mi'ix

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 07:52 AM »
I used Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow for the ear caps. You can buy it either as a rattle can or their acrylic paint, which I used to airbrush.

Helmet still needs the visor and range finder, but I only have the helmet, vest, and the jetpack is on order.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:46 PM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 07:58 AM »
Cool thanks mate, I might have to source some

Mi'ix

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Ok, so my soft parts from Manofwar studios came in today and I can't tell you guys enough how happy in with them. Also, a two piece flight suit is where it's at. Eventually, I'll dye the suit like Boba’s in ESB.

Pile o' soft parts: Fett Boots, ROTJ Flight Suit, GirthBelt, and ESB Gloves.

Front

Back

Ok, my vest didn't get closed all the way because I was too excited to wear my stuff!

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 08:56 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 08:15 PM »
Very very nice, are the boots comfy?

Mi'ix

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 08:30 PM »
Unbelievably so. My doc martens are terrible compares to these.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Lynn TXP 0369

• He's no good to me dead.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 08:20 AM »
Looking really good.
 A word of caution on the MOW suit, with it being two parts it is great for getting in and out of, but when you tuck the shirt into the pants and add your gear on, the weight of the gear will want to pull the pants down and give you droopy drawers. I took and added four button snaps, two in front, two in back to snap the suit halves together and I haven't had a problem since.

You can see where I added the snaps on the shirt front and back.

No droopy drawers.
Lynn

Phil. 4:13
Ex Phoenix Squadron member TXP 0369.
Helmet done.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=100331.15

Mi'ix

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 01:17 PM »
This is fantastic advice!    Thank you very much!

In other news, the patches for my gloves came in today!

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 08:57 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 12:30 AM »
Ok, so I dyed my MOW flightsuit, spats, and extra pouches today with some RIT dye.  1oz Evening Blue and .5oz Pearl Gray to give me that good ol' ESB color. The spats and pouches got a little too blue because I dipped them for too long. The two piece flightsuit, on the other hand came out very nice.

This thing is a chameleon. I say that because it's one of three colors depending on the light; light gray, off white, or blue-gray. Either way, I'm very pleased about the disonance between my vest a suit.

In other news, patches are on my gloves and I've sewn on the black straps to my girthbelt. I just need to make some adjustment holes for the strap and add some grommets to it for a better finished look.

Yes, the spats and the extra pouches have some extra blue to them, BUT that's nothing a little weathering won't fix.

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 08:58 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 06:48 AM »
The colours looks good,  looks real cool

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 07:02 AM »
Very nice, I'll be watching with interest  ;)

Mi'ix

« Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2016, 11:03 PM »

Toe Spikes and Collar Studs from machinecraft replicas. Honestly, it's the little things about this kit that excite me.

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 08:58 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2016, 07:25 PM »
Alright, with the help of Aria, I got the first round of weathering done on my flight-suit today at the Tra'cor clan armor party. 

Here's the before and after.

Also, I've been informed that my jetpack from NME has shipped so we're in business there too!

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 09:00 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Very nice  8)

Kai Ree'tat

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Jun 11, 2016, 10:09 PM »
Looks pretty good, what did you use?

Mi'ix

« Reply #18 on: Jun 11, 2016, 11:03 PM »
A lot of black chalk.

I'm going to go back through tomorrow with my airbrush and add more black and then some brown. Boots will get an acrylic wash as well. It's almost a shame to dirty such nice parts.  ;D

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #19 on: Jun 13, 2016, 10:14 PM »
Alright, so I've been making steady progress on my soft parts, but I'm sure everyone is bored of that.

I did get two major pieces of the puzzle in the mail today...

The Mitrinomon Z-6, courtesy of NME Props and a set of armor from Red Krayt Dragon.  The armor is perfectly sized and shaped to me and with a bit of cleaning up, will make the look of this build THAT much better.  Still working out an attachment method to the vest so I'll post pics once that's done.

I also seem to have a problem with jetpacks and I want to put paint on the darn thing so bad, but I'm going to wait until I get the appropriate hardware to attach the rocket and thrusters to make transport much easier. 

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 09:04 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #20 on: Jun 15, 2016, 10:18 PM »
Bit of progress tonight.  I've spent the past few days in my basement cleaning up the edges of the armor plates and cutting out the appropriate details on the knees.  Next step is getting some paint on these plates, but I'm going to wait until I get everything mounted to where it's supposed to be on the vest.  That endeavor will be sometime this weekend.   

More importantly, I got the slots cut out for my chest display, which Dha Bral walked me through, of course.   :P  Just a bit of clean up left around the edges of the slots and we're good to go there. 

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 09:05 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #21 on: Jun 17, 2016, 08:17 AM »
Alright, so I had the day off yesterday so I was able to get more armor related things done, which puts me THAT much closer to paint.

The holes for the collar studs have been drilled which allows the backplate to connect to the actual collar piece.

Knees have been assembled with their inserts. I glued washers to some snaps for more surface area so my knees are pretty much ready for paint. Elastic straps will be coupled with velcro on the Flightsuit to help out holding them in place.

Funny thing about RKD is the cod/kidney plate attachment was too small so I had to rig up an extension with some sintra I had laying around. Adding some supports on the back end helped shore up the extension also I was able to drill my holes for the stud and attach the two pieces together. Minor shaping and some bonding left to go.

I'm hoping to get some of these pieces attached to my vest this weekend, so wish me luck with that!

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 09:08 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #22 on: Jun 17, 2016, 02:37 PM »
This is dope. Sweet build man!

Mi'ix

« Reply #23 on: Jun 19, 2016, 12:40 AM »
Thanks Vhett!

Alright, so I've made some more progress in these past few days, namely getting some paint on a majority of the plates.

Primed!

So shiney!

...and with the help of my glorious clan Ver'alor, Aria, I was able to get the plates attached to my vest. Don't worry, still some minor spacing issues to resolve to address the pinching around the ab plate, but nothing that can't be fixed!

Still haven't painted the cod piece and back plate as I'm waiting on some minor fixes and additional clean up to take place.

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 09:14 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #24 on: Jun 19, 2016, 05:16 AM »
Looking good, great shape to your plates

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!